Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received a 16# Recoil spring from James. This spring is about 1" longer than the stock spring. Now through this forum I understand that I don't need to clip coils just install with the Don's Rod and it is fine. My question is what effect will it have to clip the spring to the same length as the stock spring???

Also I haven't had an opportunity to shoot with the 16# spring in but I am having a hard time finding any difference in racking the slide between the 16# and the stock 18#. Does the tension it takes to rack the slide relate directly to what I can expect in firing the gun?

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you cut the spring it's going to be very weak, it may end up pushing only 10-12 lbs and your pistol will function horribly if at all.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
A med do you have a tactical? if you have the tactical then leave the spring as is, its longer becuase of the coils diameter and the distance between the coils. I could have sworn it was a tactical. I would have called you back on friday but I diddnt the message untill 11pm and I figured it was too late.

To test the spring put it in the slide and pull the slide back as far as it will go. Push the slide stop up it should easily move up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
James you can call me anytime. I'm usually up til 2:00am most nights. I've got 5 kids and thats when I can get most of my work done ;-)

I do have a tactical and I realize I don't need to cut the springs. Just wondering what the effect would be if I did. I'm just trying to feel the difference in the stock spring and the 16#. I certainly don't feel it when I work the slide manually. Feels about the same right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts