Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I don’t own an XD yet but seriously looking at them. This will primarily be a concealed carry weapon. But I enjoy plinking also. I like the idea of buying a .40 S&W and then a 9x19mm barrel but from what I can tell this option is only available for the 4.05" barrel on the service model and not the 3.01" barrel on the Sub-Compact, right? I perceive the long grip to be more of a problem with concealed carry than the barrel length anyway, right? So I’m thinking of purchasing a service model .40 S&W with a 4.05" barrel (probably stainless Bi-Tone) and a 9x19mm barrel and manually cutting the grip down so it looks like the sub compact grip. Anyone done this? Do you all think I’m nuts – lol? Any reasons I shouldn’t do this? Any input?
Thanks!

Added later Similar links

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=21173

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=19630

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=18869&highlight=grip&sid=5ccc0190e8e8eda654e363a2b2efee03

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=18681&highlight=&sid=09b34501bac3aa070bb89d4e7cba3811

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool and thanks for the info. This mod would probably violate any warranty though wouldn’t it?
Thanks again

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello
Well you-all talked me into it. I purchased an XD, Bi-Tone, .40, Tactical, 4", yesterday. My wife says she’s going to ban me from the Internet, lol.
Some friends and I are going to the range tomorrow.
Good Day

·
Registered
539 Posts
Wow... i'm too chicken to ever be able to do something like that to my gun... at least not on my own. But the idea sounds pretty good. Personally though... i think i would just get an sc since they are great guns as well... and for the size are pretty accurate from what i ahve heard. just my 2 cents. But if you can muster the courage to cut downur xd... more power to ya brother.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i think you have lost your mind!!!!! but thats just my opinion....i dont think the 4 in is that hard to conceal...not enough to justify cutting it up...as far as the sub to me it really doesnt shoot that much different than my 4 in...i go plinking all the time with it....but do as you will ( your going to anyway!! ) lol....good luck and safe shootin

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Eric_Oh said:
Wow... i'm too chicken to ever be able to do something like that to my gun... at least not on my own. But the idea sounds pretty good. Personally though... i think i would just get an sc since they are great guns as well... and for the size are pretty accurate from what i ahve heard. just my 2 cents. But if you can muster the courage to cut downur xd... more power to ya brother.
Bowie does good custom work, I wouldnt worry

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
NExd said:
Bowie does good custom work, I wouldnt worry
Yah, having seen Dave's work first hand, he is pretty meticulous.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well with me being only 5' 6" and ~130lbs., I don't conceal a 4" good enough, at least for me. Only thing noticable is the grip. So I figure cut it down for when I carry and just add the XD mag sleeve if I want to use full size clips at the range

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I wish I could have seen that cut down service model pic a few months ago. It could have saved me from dropping $485 on a XDSC.

While I would never have gone so far as to say that it was a waste of money,
all I really needed was a grip reduction for CCW. You add the mag extension and you have the best of both worlds. The extra inch or two of slide length doesn't really matter, but a couple of inches on the grip makes a world of difference.

ARGH!! Nuts..oh well. Now I got two XD's. While I can't say that its a bad thing, I have this wierd feeling that I own too many guns. And to think, less than a year ago, I thought people who carried were wierd. Guess I had a paradigm shift as soon as I bought my first gun.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
i like my service model just like it is, and carrying 13 rounds! But I might get an SC eventually (if I could ever affrd it). When I do, i will probably try carrying both hehehehe :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm going to get rid of my XD-40 SC and just have Bowie cut down the grip on my service. Hell yeah!

Going to have the same done on my Glock 21, so I won't have to buy a Glock 30.

Plus I get all the benefits of the longer barrel and sight radius. :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah, if I could afford to, I'd just buy a SC.

BTW, the wait from Bowie is ~6 weeks. That's what he told me a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, I think you're nuts. I wouldn't have the guts to take a saw to a shiny new gun... Maybe somebody elses gun, but not my gun.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There's something I've been wondering along this line. Has anyone thought of using modified Browning HP mags in a cut down XD frame? They appear to be the same design as the XD, Beretta, etc. Only they fall in between the full sized mags and the SC mags in length. I would think this would come up with the ideal grip length as a compromise between the two. Am I crazy or does this seem viable?

·
Registered
463 Posts
87-51 said:
There's something I've been wondering along this line. Has anyone thought of using modified Browning HP mags in a cut down XD frame? They appear to be the same design as the XD, Beretta, etc. Only they fall in between the full sized mags and the SC mags in length. I would think this would come up with the ideal grip length as a compromise between the two. Am I crazy or does this seem viable?
I hope someone has an answer to your question as this sounds like it would be a great mod. I might have to buy a service model if it's possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone done this to the 357? I am interested in doing it, but not sure how it will affect me since there are no sub-compact 357 mags.

Anyone?

-Mike

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
doofoo said:
Anyone done this to the 357? I am interested in doing it, but not sure how it will affect me since there are no sub-compact 357 mags.

Anyone?

-Mike
You should be able to use the sub-compact .40 cal mags.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts