Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I posted a question about a cutting down a Service size grip to a SC grip size. Someone gave me the name of Bowie Tactical Concepts. Well, I contacted David and talked to him about cutting down a Service size grip to a SC size grip. I just received the frame back from Dave and all I can say is "he does excellent work" and the grip is just as a factory SC looks and feels. What I wanted and David supplied, was a 4" barrel service xd9 with a SC size grip, IMHO better for CCW. I can use the SC magazine in this modification so mags are not a problem. If anyone is interested I "should" have pictures in the next day or two. David does work on Glocks and XD's. Anyone interested in David's work should go to his web site and check out his work. I do not work or have any other interest in David's business other than passing on to others that he does EXCELLENT work at reasonable $$$$.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Last I heard he wasn't offering this option, and had only done it to his own. Mind if I ask you how much it cost, and what the turnaround time was? Pics would be great.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whtvrsclvr, David first of all told me that he wasn't cutting down the grip as the mags were too much work to get to the correct length. I mentioned to him that if he would cut down the grip to the SC size then he wouldn't have to bother with the mags as a SC mag should/would fit. He agreed.
He's still not just shortening the Service grip, but will cut it down to a SC size as the mag issue then goes away. And, it also goes away for me, as I can use SC mags, standard mags as backup or try and get the boot that SA gives with their hicap mags for the SC. I'm just as happy with 10 round 9mm mags or 12/13 round 40 caliber mags for the SC. As far as $$$$, I do not know what he charged "just for the cut down" as shipping and a few other things were included. But, it wasn't, IMHO, too much over $100.00, for the job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am doing cut downs on XD's to handle shorter XD mags. The gun I built that I am not offering as a custom was like my off duty gun which, was cutting the grip to handle S&W 6906 mags. It gave a gun the size of a GLOCK 19 which Springfield does not build. Cost is $85 plus shipping.

·
Registered
208 Posts
can we get some pics? :D

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I like that idea….I can save a lot of room in my gun bag if I only need to take one size of mags to the range.

Oh Wait….I haven’t purchased a full size XD yet. :oops:

That would make it a better concealed carry weapon....shorter grip.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Bowie Tactical said:
I am doing cut downs on XD's to handle shorter XD mags. The gun I built that I am not offering as a custom was like my off duty gun which, was cutting the grip to handle S&W 6906 mags. It gave a gun the size of a GLOCK 19 which Springfield does not build. Cost is $85 plus shipping.
is a g19's grip longer than the sc? What is the approximate turnaround time, and would anyone think it would be dumb to do this to a tactical (maybe even the gap tac?)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a couple of pictures of my cut down service model. I will "try" to get them on the forum in the next couple of days. Have never posted pictures so there might be some pracitce with the first ones. If anyone has any suggestions on how to post pictures, please let me know. I shot the cut down on Saturday and it didn't change it a bit. A friend also shot it and his comment was, " it didn't even feel cut down". Now everyone has to remeber that I liked the SC, even bought one and love it, and just figured that the SC fit me so nice that a 4" barrel with the SC grip would be good.
All I can say about David's work, is that it is EXCELLENT. My buddy couldn't even tell it wasn't from the factory.

·
Registered
52 Posts
for posting pics i've had very good luck with www.photobucket.com

a few annoying steps to get registered, but it's free, and once you upload the photos to their site it generates the html code that you can paste into your message here. This site does not support photo uploading, so you have to use something like photobucket and then just paste in the url

·
Registered
58 Posts
I might need one of these. I called SA to see if they were going to sell a Subcompact with the Service slide before this came up. No dice; SA not interested.

Now if we just had a source for reliable 12 round mags for the Subcompacts. Bowie, can you modify SC 9mm mags to hold a couple of extra rounds? I suspect milling out the ribs at the bottom of the mag body would do the trick.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm waiting to see if Sprinfield comes out with a XD45SC, not because I want one, but because I want to cut-down a 45 GAP Service and I need the magazines. Has anybody tried cutting down the standard magazine instead of using SC mags? (just in case a 45 subbie isn't made).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts