Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to customize my XD tactical 9mm for IDPA and other Competition.

This is what I am thinking of doing?

1. Install a match grade BarSto barrel & Stainless steel guide rod

2. The competition action job to reduce the pull to about 3lbs, as well as the overtravel and reset

3. New sights: Not sure which sights would be best?
Bomar low mount rear sight with matching competition fiber optic front sight (or Tritium front sight)

4. Not sure what type of finish --- just go with Amory Kote? Or something fancy?

Well, what do you think?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are serious about IDPA, be sure to read the rule book before you customize too much. There is very limited customization allowed in IDPA. Now, IPSC is a different story.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
azsilver said:
I want to customize my XD tactical 9mm for IDPA and other Competition.

This is what I am thinking of doing?

1. Install a match grade BarSto barrel & Stainless steel guide rod

2. The competition action job to reduce the pull to about 3lbs, as well as the overtravel and reset

3. New sights: Not sure which sights would be best?
Bomar low mount rear sight with matching competition fiber optic front sight (or Tritium front sight) or some other?

4. Not sure what type of finish --- just go with Amory Kote? Or something else or something fancy?

Well, what do you think?

Thanks for your input!
I can not believe no one has anything to write regarding this?

My husband wants to know what I am waiting for and to get the customizing done.

azsilver

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Axemann said:
If you are serious about IDPA, be sure to read the rule book before you customize too much. There is very limited customization allowed in IDPA. Now, IPSC is a different story.
Thanks, I have read the new IDPA rule book and these modification are legal for ESP.

I decided if I could not shoot my SIG P220ST .45 with night sites out of the box....for IDPA as SSP or CDP it is no longer legal (is .75 oz overweight for CDP) and only legal in ESP. I though I might as well trick out my XD and shoot ESP with the high cap boys.

Thanks,

Azsilver

·
Registered
46 Posts
I though I might as well trick out my XD and shoot ESP with the high cap boys.]
I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by this statement in reference to IDPA matches. IDPA does not allow for high cap magazines in any of the classes. IPSC obviously does, but you would need to shoot in the limited or open divisions to do so.

In reference to your original question about gun modifications: I think that if you believe these modifications will improve your shooting, then by all means get them. They sound very appropriate and logical to me. After all, you are not talking about doing something crazy with your gun. In fact, I've considered the same ones for my own Tactical 9mm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NMshooter said:
I though I might as well trick out my XD and shoot ESP with the high cap boys.]
I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by this statement in reference to IDPA matches. IDPA does not allow for high cap magazines in any of the classes. IPSC obviously does, but you would need to shoot in the limited or open divisions to do so.

In reference to your original question about gun modifications: I think that if you believe these modifications will improve your shooting, then by all means get them. They sound very appropriate and logical to me. After all, you are not talking about doing something crazy with your gun. In fact, I've considered the same ones for my own Tactical 9mm.
What I meant by hi-cap is when you compare my SIG P220 8 round mags vs the XD 10 round mags. The XD at 10 rounds is a "Hi-CAP" I know I cannot shoot the 15 or larger round Mags at IDPA. But it is a disadvantage to shoot an eight round mag against a ten round mag in the ESP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fingolfin said:
Surely there is a way to take .75 ounces off the P220, even without milling.
I do not want to mill or dremel my P220ST and the grips I have on it are the lightest grips I can find. Which leaves me in ESP.

Plus I find it much cheaper to feed my XD 9mm than my SIG P220 .45...but we are thinking about getting a reloader...another post.

Thanks, AZsilver

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
One may use hi cap magazines in IDPA, but you cannot load them to over Division capacity; i.e. load only 10 rounds in a 15 round magazine plus one in the chamber.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here is my Tactical for IDPA. Dawson Precision Sites, Canyon Creek Trigger Job, Barsto Magwell and basepads, Canyon Creek Fusion Finish, Tru-Grips, Dons Guide Rod.

The Bomars are a great choice too if you're willing to mill out the slide. I'm not sure the Barsto Barrel will be much help, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt either. I feel I get plenty of accuracy with the stock barrel for IDPA. I also have the stainless Guide Rod with a 16# Recoil spring. That spring was one of the best mods I've made yet.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Might as well add in a magwell if you're going to use it for IDPA and bumper pads for the magazines.

Skip the barrel, its not really necessary - the factory one is far accurate enough for anything IDPA you'll shoot.

If you do decide to shoot Production in IPSC, all you'd have to do is take off the magwell and you'd be set, or leave it the same and shoot minor L10.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ampleworks:

What is the weight of your trigger pull with the Canyon Creek job?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts