Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my XD Saturday and thought “ I want a holster” after seeing the guy with the duct tape holster I had an even deeper thought “I can make one too.”

But I can do better, sorry dude Its what I do. So any way I am going to post the progress of this. I should mention I make prosthetic limbs for a living and well this sort of thing will be a fun waste of my employers’ time and materials.

I will post an image of the first steps when I figure out how to post images

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I know a couple companies like this... They are involved in making gun parts and medical parts... It's kind of like a built in market motivator. :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
yourshoesareuntied said:
Just got my XD Saturday and thought “ I want a holster” after seeing the guy with the duct tape holster I had an even deeper thought “I can make one too.”

But I can do better, sorry dude Its what I do.
Heh, go for it! I'm interested to see how this turns out. I like seeing resourceful people.

While on the subject of duct tape, I've had 2 new uses for it. I had to tape my flash drive together when it got washed and I dropped my cell phone and now it's duct taped back together. :? :)

Anyway, carry on!

·
Registered
149 Posts
prostetics.......the materials are durable, made to last, compaines deal with custom componets, and the parts are made to fit onto a persons body......

A custom prostetic holster that i attach to my body that looks like a prostetic body part (such as a belly).

you can have that one for free, but the rest will cost you

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in the prosthetic business as well. New exactlly what you were using for materials (bio-foam, plaster etc.) I have been thinking of way to use all the extra scraps laying around the lab. Cool idea with the impressions, what is your next step now you have a plaster model? Are you going to use plastics, carbon fiber, leather? Anyway cool to see others in the field intersted in firearms!!!

XD 9mm SC

·
Registered
768 Posts
i should get a digital camera [thinn i will since i just got gimp].
i have a bronze cast s&w .44 magnum i made years ago via 'black tuffy' flexible mold/ lost wax casting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
slowpoke13 said:
I want a southpaw for a sub.. and can you make one that'll fit the XML light?
I don’t see why not, I just picked up the Glock light from a gun store, Tuesday. I would need to recast, to get the shape. If the cast I have now works "with out the light" and I make a product I am happy with, I will try it with the light later. For me it’s more about a scratch I need to itch, when I get an idea I have to try it.... just so I know. Also noted I have the Glock light not the XML, but I could figure a cut out that would fit a range of tools, may even do that with the cst I have now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am thinking about materials now and what I want to make it out of. I think I will use some Black Polypropylene for a prototype, maybe padded with a med/high density foam “ pelite” on the inside, I may make one out of carbon fiber after I get the design down this would be easer then the Polypro, but more $$$ and I do feel a little bad sometimes for the cost my employer sometimes incurs due to these little itches that need scratching and the poly pro can be made out of scraps from legitimate projects. I am also kicking around using some pelite and leather, may do both, I also have yet to decide on what style of holster I want, I too am a Big guy and may do something that addresses this. The Big and Tall store doesn’t carry holsters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts