Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my xd .45 tactical before I had heard about the XDM, not knowing that they were going to come with the interchangeable backstraps...Now I wish that I had waited. So my question is: I have seen many articles about custom shops shaving some of the grip off in the back. Is that a wise choice? Im afraid that I will get to much taken off or it will change the grip angle? The only reason I want to do this is because I can just barely get a hold of the mag release...

·
Registered
466 Posts
If the ONLY reason is you want to mod the grip is because you can't reach the mag release, get a longer mag release, not a grip reduction.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Go with what the guy who knows more about XD's than just about anyone else in the country said and you will be fine. 8)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im gonna wait until the .45 M comes out before I make any decisions. And I already got the extended mag release from pistolgear, but it just doesnt do the trick

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any good ideas on someone/place that can do that? Im not wanting to refinish the whole frame just yet, just take some off the back.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you clicked my signature link? :)

We can do that.

Are you talking about the grip "shortening"? The current length is fine, but Im wanting to shave about 1/8 to 1/4 in off of the backstrap. It has that hollow space between the mag well and the back of the grip, could that piece be removed and then smoothed off?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you determine how much to take off? Im pretty sure that if it were filled in behind the magwell and the backstrap was removed, that would be just about right.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You do not want to remove the entire back strap. By removing material in the right spots you can get a grip that is much more manageable for small hands. Photocopy your hand and we can use that to get it right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you tried using the strong hand thumb?
The ambi mag release is a huge advantage IMO for this reason. It seems a much smoother transition for me.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yah, the strong hand thumb is what I use, but i still have to shift my grip somewhat to be able to press it all the way down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
also-Is the reach difficult with both a loaded and unloaded mags?
I can't remeber if you had mentioned that- sorry.
Fully loaded XD mags generally seem to add pretty stiff resistance to the mag release.
I seem to recall a few posts about it.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
What about using your trigger finger to release the mag? My thumb won't reach the button, and it's much more comfortable to just drop my finger down and back to do it.

And FYI, if you do have Scott work on your grip, do the X-Grip. It's really something.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
also-Is the reach difficult with both a loaded and unloaded mags?
I can't remeber if you had mentioned that- sorry.
Fully loaded XD mags generally seem to add pretty stiff resistance to the mag release.
I seem to recall a few posts about it.
Yah, I notice the most difficulty when its a full mag, which granted, I prob wont ever be needing to drop in a "real" situation...But even with the empty mag i still have to roll my thumb forward to get a hold of it.

I tried using my weak hand index finger, but that just felt like it put me even more out of a good grip than shifting my strong-hand thumb

1 - 19 of 19 Posts