Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a "custom" finish done on their XD? I'm thinking about sending mine in to have it refinished and was thinking about having something truley custom done. Maybe something like chromed slide with black or dark gray lettering and springfield logo. Or maybe black slide grey lettering (or vise versa) something to give it some contrast and to make the XD logo and SA logo stand out. I think I'd like some variation of the slide being chromed because I am showing some significant wear and rust.... umm, I mean character. -Kevin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just as a note. I am aware of the "search" function, but damn, do you know how many results come up when you type in finish or refinish? I was hoping to weed out the basic rust/refinish problem. :D

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
KevinFWB said:
Just as a note. I am aware of the "search" function, but damn, do you know how many results come up when you type in finish or refinish? I was hoping to weed out the basic rust/refinish problem. :D
Ya, I do. It can be hard to find particular pictures or post here. They get pretty scattered across the forum. Were all kind of stuck in the same boat on that one. One thing you can do when you find a post or pic here is bookmark it so you can find it again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is it possible to anodize the slide? Or is that not possible with steel?

edit: looks like it's only possible with aluminum and alloys.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Old School,

What was the name of the color that they did your slide in? How durable is it?

I have an OD green XD-40 and am really thinking of doing what you did...that looks great!

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Brickboy240 said:
Old School,

What was the name of the color that they did your slide in? How durable is it?

I have an OD green XD-40 and am really thinking of doing what you did...that looks great!

-Brickboy240
If I recall, the color is "Earth Tan". The finish is durable and it has some kind of teflon-product in the finish, so to clean it, you just need a rag. I did out a small scratch in it with the take-down lever because it was not vertical and resting on the slide, however Brad agreed to refinish it at half price, which was very fair (as I screwed it up).

I did sell that gun to a friend. He bought it because of the color combo (and price).

Give Brad at CCR a call. He is a good guy.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Sproles, is there a name for that color. I really like it it seems similar in color to Robars NP3.

Krackels

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How well do you guys think those custom colors will hold up to holster wear? Old School, I know you said you scraped it with the take down lever on accident one day. I realize that it was an accident, but that leads me to wonder how well its going to hold up to continual holster wear as a CCW weapon. Are your two guns (Spoles & Old School) the same finish, just a different color?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Krackels - CCR Refinishing actually had other xdtalk forumites call and order the "Sproles Grey" and he knew exactly what they were talking about. I had it made to match the Chris Reeve Green Beret knife that is in some of the pics.

David

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i too was considering CCR refinishing the black slide on mine.....i would like it to be the bi-tone color
anyone know the particular name for that specific color??

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
check out this pic from CCR's website.....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sproles said:
Here is the finish that CCR Refinishing did for me...I LOVE the finish. I had it done to match the Chris Reeve Green Beret knife that is some of the pictures.

Hey Sproles, your gun look GREAT! How much did this cost? from the picures it looks like you did the trigger, mag release, slide release, but not the backstrap safety? Did you send them the whole gun or did you take it apart and send the pieces?

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rich at Canyon Creek did my slide... 8)

·
Registered
23 Posts
First of all, how durable are these slides once painted?
Second, will gun oil effect the paint?
Third, what slide color would go good with my black gun body?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts