Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the real difference in the Horsehide vs the Cowhide? Is it really worth the 15 that they charge for it?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol I did a search on the site first and it didn't show anything, but I guess I missed it.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The site search can be a little glitchy IMO but Google will send you hear for most things gun related. That's where I start.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I've had both, preferred the horsehide.
Stiffer and less absorbant to sweat than cowhide.
Well worth another $15..;)

Cowhide;

Horsehide;

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I currently have both. Prefer the horse though. It's more dense than cow and just feels better when carrying all day. IMO

·
Registered
27 Posts
My wife has the cow hide and I have the horse hide.
I bought the horse hide based on reading that it tolerates sweat better. I think the light tan color of the horse hide is more attractive. I have carried both and both are comfortable, can't really tell them apart.
My first horse hide holster was about 1/2 to 2/3 the thickness of my wife's cow hide holster at the top above the kydex. This made it much less stiff than the cow hide and my abundant gut pushed the leather over the kydex opening when my gun was upholstered. I emailed CB questioning the thickness of the horse hide and they offered to replace it. Second one is better but still not as thick or as stiff as the cow hide.
Other than that, a great holster that's very comfortable. Would I pay the extra $ for horse hide again? Probably not.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Heres the info from our FAQ page........

Should I get a holster made of horsehide?

Answer:
Horsehide is a denser and tighter grained flesh than cowhide. This results in it being more moisture resistant. Customers in very humid climates or who tend to sweat heavily find this to be a useful option as horsehide tolerates dampness better. Horsehide is only available in natural as it's moisture resistance can also cause it to not take dye well. Additionally, the natural finish is very attractive on Horsehide.

Horsehide is a limited option as it is not always available, during times when it is not available, the option will be removed from the selections. In other words, if you see it, you can order it.

ANd this is the "real" answer :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts