Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question on what I need to do to care and maintain my crossbreed holsters?
Should I use a leather conditioner and if so how often?

Also if I am going to store them for a while, upto a year (deployments) what is the best way to prep them for storage?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I used Kiwi Leather Lotion on the smooth side of my horsehide Supertuck a couple times when I first got it. That took care of the squeaking. Haven't given it much thought in the year since, and it's worn most every day.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You should have recieved instructions on how to care for you crossbreed when you got it. I know Mark recommends using a conditioner on a regular basis, and that is what I do.

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
I used Kiwi Leather Lotion on the smooth side of my horsehide Supertuck a couple times when I first got it. That took care of the squeaking. Haven't given it much thought in the year since, and it's worn most every day.
I used to use Kiwi Lotion on my black boots when we used to wear them in the Army. Good stuff so im sure it will work well for CB Holsters!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I normally take mine to bed with it and cuddle after feeding it a nice meal.

Oh wait. Hmm. I don't love mine quite that much.

:D

Seriously, I take the clips, screws, backing off of mine every 4-6 mos depending on how it's looking, and spray the front side down with a light amount of neatsfeet oil per the directions on the bottle

Lexol Neatsfoot Spray for Saddles, 16.9 oz. - 5024855 | Tractor Supply Company

works wonders

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
a little mink oil on the front every once in a while, but not really that even, it gets abused and keeps on working

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am considering a crossbreed or two but one will be an every day carry. if i wear it against my skin is it going to get funky smelling? i am not a smelly person and do have good hygiene. can they be or does anyone wash them?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Yes.

I normally take mine to bed with it and cuddle after feeding it a nice meal.

Oh wait. Hmm. I don't love mine quite that much.

:D

Seriously, I take the clips, screws, backing off of mine every 4-6 mos depending on how it's looking, and spray the front side down with a light amount of neatsfeet oil per the directions on the bottle

Lexol Neatsfoot Spray for Saddles, 16.9 oz. - 5024855 | Tractor Supply Company

works wonders
good plan, especially horsehide

Neetsfoot oil is better for horse and kiwi better for the dyed cow

a little mink oil on the front every once in a while, but not really that even, it gets abused and keeps on working
yup, less is more

dont over stress about "maintenance" on a CrossBreed, a quick wipe down or some kiwi or neetsfoot every onece in awhile will be fine, Its not a Ferarri.

i am considering a crossbreed or two but one will be an every day carry. if i wear it against my skin is it going to get funky smelling? i am not a smelly person and do have good hygiene. can they be or does anyone wash them?
If you sweat alot, it might get a little funky, but letting it air out real good overnight pretty much solves that, and you have to sweat it through alot and keep it damp and be a pretty perspirous person for it to get funky.

You sound like you will have no issues :D

Dont treat the backside as a general rule, it'll get tacky and feel nasty up against you. At least thats my opinion.

Long term storage: put it in a plastic bag with a dessicant pouch. When you take it out, oil it good, let it settle in, and put it back in service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts