Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tell me about'em any good or are they junk?Thinking of either the Ultima or the M60.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The quality of their knives is good from my experiences. Just make sure the blade material is at least aus8 or comparable. Anything less is too soft for maintaining a sharp edge if your actually going to use it. I carry and use my m16-13sfg everyday and have been for over a year with zero complaints. It's by far the sharpest knife out-of-the-box that I've ever owned.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Have CRKT M16-14ZSF. Was going to post this today but you beat me to it. So kinda a hi-jack and also info to your thread.

Mine has some kinda corrosion or rust, something, going on the blade and into the handle. Looks like rust but is won't clean-up or stop. Anybody know about this? What do I do to treat this.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
I have 2CRKT knives both have served me well.
I have an M16-10KZ and a Lake111

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Have CRKT M16-14ZSF. Was going to post this today but you beat me to it. So kinda a hi-jack and also info to your thread.

Mine has some kinda corrosion or rust, something, going on the blade and into the handle. Looks like rust but is won't clean-up or stop. Anybody know about this? What do I do to treat this.
I haven't had any rust or corrosion issues with any of mine. Did you try some WD40 on a rag?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I haven't had any rust or corrosion issues with any of mine. Did you try some WD40 on a rag?
Yes, I keep this knife in the truck. The blade and liner looks like it been coated with some kind of treatment from the factory, not just bare metal like a Case.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
My EDC is a CRKT M16-12Z (tanto blade) and it is a great knife.

I've cut, sawed, poked, pried, pounded, and otherwise abused this tool and it just keeps on going. PLUS it holds an edge like a champ!

So yeah...I like mine and would recommend it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Not a big fan. I had a CRKT M16-12Z Tanto combo edge and it was terrible. Didn't hold an edge, hard to sharpen, and rusted badly just sitting in a drawer. I hate their whole beveled edge blade thing. I prefer my SOGs. I've got a 13 year old X-ray Vision Mini, a Trident Tanto Tini, Trident, Pentagon Elite 1, SEAL Pup Elite TiAin, Flash 1 Tini Aluminum handled.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Wife bought me a m16-14zsf for Christmas.

I have zero complaints.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the help

·
Registered
89 Posts
My EDC for over a year has been an M21-04G. It's a little larger than most people want to carry, but it's been a great knife so far, and it gets used hard. The finish on the blade didn't last very long, but I was rough on it from the beginning, so that doesn't affect my opinion of it. Great edge, very solidly built, feels great in the hand. I like it enough that I'll be buying another or two in case I ever lose this one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
CRKT and Gerber were involved with that big stew with import laws since they refuse to put the country of origin on their blades (big no-no). (They also don't list their steel in many cases).

Just really immoral business practices has made me stay away from them, not to mention that their knives are much worse than Kershaw / Benchmade / Spyderco. I'd much rather have a Chinese knife from Kershaw / Spyderco than from CRKT for the money. Really poorly made blades with mall ninja-ery designs that really aren't that practical.

All of the CRKT owners, please chime in and correct me about practicality if your knife has served you well. I'd really like to know if their M16/M21 type knives have really improved that much. I'm just confused how their obtusely-ground knives are attractive with so much better offerings out there for the price in design, steel, build quality, etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
All of the CRKT owners, please chime in and correct me about practicality if your knife has served you well.
Well, as I stated above, my M21 has been (and continues to be) an incredible knife. I'm not sure what "obtusely-ground" means, but I know how to sharpen a knife and this one (made of AUS-8, as they state on the website) takes an edge very well. It's superbly tough and I won't be looking to replace it unless lost. In the event that it is lost or broken, I would replace it with the same model. I like it that much.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I had one of their M16 folders but it got lost. Up until it was lost, I really liked it.

To replace it I bit the bullet and bought a benchmade Mini Barrage. Now I think my CKRT knife was crap because this Benchmade has incredible steel, smooth operating, superior fit and finish. Just all around, twice the quality of knife.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
CRKT and Gerber were involved with that big stew with import laws since they refuse to put the country of origin on their blades (big no-no). (They also don't list their steel in many cases).

Just really immoral business practices has made me stay away from them, not to mention that their knives are much worse than Kershaw / Benchmade / Spyderco. I'd much rather have a Chinese knife from Kershaw / Spyderco than from CRKT for the money. Really poorly made blades with mall ninja-ery designs that really aren't that practical.

All of the CRKT owners, please chime in and correct me about practicality if your knife has served you well. I'd really like to know if their M16/M21 type knives have really improved that much. I'm just confused how their obtusely-ground knives are attractive with so much better offerings out there for the price in design, steel, build quality, etc.
You have stated my feelings pretty well here. The chisel grind, often only a combo-edge is availible, the blade is crap stainless which rusts very very easily, takes an edge easily, but won't hold an edge worth a crap. I've heard it all before, oil the blade, blah blah blah. I do, and I live in a dry environment. I have several high-carbon blades which see harder use between oilings and they rust far less than my crappy crktm16. I keep hoping I lose my crkt but it just sticks around forever.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
You have stated my feelings pretty well here. The chisel grind, often only a combo-edge is availible, the blade is crap stainless which rusts very very easily, takes an edge easily, but won't hold an edge worth a crap. I've heard it all before, oil the blade, blah blah blah. I do, and I live in a dry environment. I have several high-carbon blades which see harder use between oilings and they rust far less than my crappy crktm16. I keep hoping I lose my crkt but it just sticks around forever.
I cant tell you the last time I oiled a knife blade on ANY knife. Never had one rust except an "old timer" from back in the 80's.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
All knives will tarnish and possibly rust if not taken care of. I own knives from the following companies: CRKT, Gerber, SOG, Kershaw, and Buck. All are great knives and I would recommend any of them.

Now depending on what type of steel the manufacturer uses will depend on whether it will hold an edge or not. The more chromium or nickel added to the steel the more corrosion resistant but softer the metal gets.
The less chromium and nickel added (D2, 440c) the tougher the blade but less corrosion resistant.

Another thing to remember is the angle of the edge you put on the blade will also determine how strong of an edge the knife will hold...A 25 degree wide angle edge will last longer than a 20 degree narrow angle. A 20 degree angle will be a lot sharper than a 25 degree due to then narrowness of the blade but that is what causes it to be weak. :cool:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Spyderco, Benchmade and Kershaw knives, best EDC IMHO!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
I carry either a Kershaw blur tanto, Skyline, or chive. I also carry Spyderco Delica FFG sometimes. I carry a Caly3 carbon fiber zdp189 when not working.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts