Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I got a chance to shoot on Saturday and I just cannot break this problem I have. I am always shooting to the right (I am left-handed) and usually down and right. Here are a couple images:
with an XD40sc that I was able to try out (this way I know it isn't just my pistol)

And a couple from my HS2K. pardon the major fliers. I had someone shooting a .500S&W next to me.

this one has 30 rounds in it.

So, what am I doing wrong? These are fired slow-fire, freehand. Is it a flinch, or am I squeezing the trigger in a certain way to make it angle down?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just aim to the top left a little :D I don't know the cause but I have the same problem with my XD9, but I'm right handed and I hit to the left of center by about the same amount.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
If you shoot low and right, your probably jerking the trigger as you anticipate recoil. If your just shooting to the right, maybe you need to adjust the rear sight a bit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here you go:

All joking aside, pick up some snap caps and loosen your grip. I was suffering the same problem - except down and to the left, being a right hander.

My neighborhood gunsmiths response was new sites and additional material on the backstrap to raise the gun. The mustached and wisened Range Master (with the capitol "R" and "M") set me, and my aim, straight.

The death grip I was applying with my trigger hand caused me to torque the gun as I pulled the trigger. Keeping my trigger hand loosey-goosey provided almost immediate results.

Snap caps showed me the full body flinch (like I was leaning into a shotgun) I never believed I had. You can also try doubling up on your ear protection - plugs and earphones and see how you shoot.

Neither of these problems manifested themselves during dry firing. Just goes to show you how having a loaded weapon pointed down range changes your subconscious behavior.

Post some follow up pictures!

(edit: spelling errors)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Used to be a PMI in the USMC.. so I gravitated to this... sorry.

First stab would be grip... could be too tight. Might want to try changing style.. Do you have the same problem when you are not shooting freehand? If this happens all the time you should try shooting with a Weaver or fist grip until you figure it out. I prefer weaver as it tends to be more stable.

Second would be trigger pull. It looks like you are pulling the trigger vice trying to squeeze a round off. This usually happens when you figure out that you have a problem with anticipating the break and start forcing the issue to self correct.

Third would be that your body alignment (stance) to target is off. That causes you to muscle it over (usually don't even notice). This tends to cause more sporadic groups than yours. Get your aim... close your eyes... deep breath or two.. open them.. still center mass? If not... your alignment is off. This is especially important when shooting freehand.

I doubt it is a flinch issue (except for that .50 going off next to you :))unless you have the most consistent flinch I have ever seen...

If all else fails... your need to adjust your sights. Hate doing that on a pistol unless you are sure it is not a bad habit. Especially if this is happening with multiple weapons. Do you have the same problem with a smaller caliber pistol?

Whatever you are doing... it is fairly consistent. Which is good... just don't try changing more than one thing at a time. Even Tiger has a bad stretch now and then.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
accuracy is in your eye and your finger... nothing else. (well, technically grip pressure can be added)

grip technique and stance dont increase accuracy, they increase consistancey.

you are most likely slaping the trigger, and squeezing your pinky and ring finger when you fire.

tips:
-once you get your grip dont change the pressure.
-make sure the tip of your trigger finger is on the trigger, you want a gap between your trigger and the frame.
-follow the 3 steps of the trigger pull
1. take up
2. press (not squeeze, that involves your whole hand... you just want to move your finger)
3. followthrough

next time you go to the range focus on your sight alignment and your trigger pressl and let the recoil scare you... do that and i garuntee that you will put one dead center.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies, everyone!

I don't think it's the sights, as you can see that the XD40sc I fired also went to the right. It's trigger was quite similar to mine. As I think about it, I do tend to have a stranglehold on the grip. I may be anticipating recoil also, as my trigger is different from other 4" XDs that I have dry fired (all 3 calibers). Mine has a definite stop before it breaks. I have noticed the other 4" XDs I've tried tend to have some give to them even after the takeup in the trigger. Mine has none. I have to apply definite deliberate pressure to get it to break. I might need a shorter front sight, as it seems that I have to aim every so slightly higher than COM to get them to group at the right height. Where do I trade my Sig front night sight in for a shorter one?

When I shoot my .357 Magnum, things group right where they're supposed to when I shoot SA. DA they tend to be all over the place - no pattern or consistency at all.

I would love to use those targets to evaluate my shooting, but the range only allows their own targets to be used. I'm going again on Saturday, so we'll see how I do with all of these suggestions.

Any Omaha forumites who would like to meet me at the Bullet Hole on Saturday? NEXd, where are you??? (I know he's not here, but hey, maybe he's lurking).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts