Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was doing my best to conceal my xdm .45, waiting in line at a sketchy 7-11, I got to thinking if anyone has ever had to deal with someone freaking out over seeing their carry?

This has never happened to me, but I could see some (insert whatever type of person or political standing) seeing you carrying in normal clothes and freak out demanding you leave or something ... I dunno.

Does anyone have any odd stories?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've heard various second-hand tales about people open carrying who had to talk to the cops because of "man with a gun" calls. I have no stories personally though.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
MN has a carry permit, which covers both open and concealed. The nice thing about that is if your concealed weapon accidently becomes unconecealed, it's a non-issue.

That being said--a buddy had his be seen by accident; someone asked him if he was a cop...his responce:

"Would it make you feel better if I was?"

And that's all he said.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
The common masses aren't going to notice if you are carrying or not.
They are too busy talking on thier cell phones or dealing with their own issues.

I've been carrying since around 1997 or so and have never been called out.;)

I do like Cuda's response and I'll remember that if the situation ever arises..

·
Registered
9 Posts
MN has a carry permit, which covers both open and concealed. The nice thing about that is if your concealed weapon accidently becomes unconecealed, it's a non-issue.

That being said--a buddy had his be seen by accident; someone asked him if he was a cop...his responce:

And that's all he said.
So using that if ever asked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
not much of a story but when i was younger a relative of mine open carried(he was on call as a member of the county SWAT team.) we went into a Dollar General and it looked like everyone there was uneasy. they didnt know what to think of someone dressed nice and more or less proper but carrying a GLOCK .40 on their side in a holster and a cellphone on the other side. lol. im guessing the employees thought there was something going down.

(on a side note they drove one of their od green Hummer H2's through a field to a suspects house. the next day there where rumors of a military assault on a local house lol people are just ignorant in groups.)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I was carrying concealed one day (XD45) with my serpa holster since I had just finished an IDPA match. I was sitting at a booth in a McDonalds near the door when a guy leaving gave me a funny smile. I looked down and my shirt had gone up and over the holster and most of the gun was showing. Who knows how long I had been accidentally open carrying.

I'm guessing that if you are acting "normally" and someone notices that you are carrying, it probably won't be an issue. The obvious exception is people that have an irrational fear of inanimate objects.

- Spike

·
Registered
691 Posts
My son was OC on the way home from the range one day and stopped at a convenience store. the clerk saw the gun and told 2 LEOs in the store that he had a gun. All they asked was if he had a CHP, which he did not as he was waiting for it to come. They talked guns for a few minutes then they started to leave. The clerk did bring up the gun part again as the LEOs were walking out and they just said that yes he did and that was legal.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Kind of irrelevant, but funny. I went to training (LEO) a few counties away and we were required to wear department polos and kahkis with our sidearms and badge on our belt. I had one girl ask me if I was an undercover cop, to which my reply was "Boy, I sure hope not...I don't think I'd be doing a very good job of it". And a man in a convenience store, as I was getting a coffee ( he didn't know I was behind him) watched my partner walk out and told the clerk to call the police because 'that man had a gun on him!'

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
About my only story follows a bit of "target practice" at my in-laws' farm. Their farm butts right up against the highway. The area where I was shooting is about 1/2 mile from the highway.Apparently, there was a road repair crew out doing some work that morning. They heard me shooting but had no idea where the shooting was taking place so they called the sheriff. Eventually, the sheriff got around to my in-laws' farm just as I was walking back into the yard. I was carrying an AK-47 on a sling and had my XD45 on my hip in plain sight.The sheriff pulled up and calmly asked what I was up to. I kept my hands still and in plain sight and said that I'd been shooting a little target practice. The sheriff expressed concerns for the highway workers and I informed him that I was shooting in an area that had been dug out about 8' deep and that every round had been directed at the backstop. The sheriff explained that the gunfire made the workers a little nervous and I said I was done for the day.No harm, no foul.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Kind of irrelevant, but funny. I went to training (LEO) a few counties away and we were required to wear department polos and kahkis with our sidearms and badge on our belt. I had one girl ask me if I was an undercover cop, to which my reply was "Boy, I sure hope not...I don't think I'd be doing a very good job of it". And a man in a convenience store, as I was getting a coffee ( he didn't know I was behind him) watched my partner walk out and told the clerk to call the police because 'that man had a gun on him!'
Now THATS funny.... and a little scary too...

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

And that's all he said.

Hand them this card

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
My son was OC on the way home from the range one day and stopped at a convenience store. the clerk saw the gun and told 2 LEOs in the store that he had a gun. All they asked was if he had a CHP, which he did not as he was waiting for it to come. They talked guns for a few minutes then they started to leave. The clerk did bring up the gun part again as the LEOs were walking out and they just said that yes he did and that was legal.
That seems cool and all but I hope they at least ID'd your son and made sure he had no warrants?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here in the great communist state of Illinois, an average citizen is not allowed to carry open or concealed. Lucky for me, I am an LEO and never leave home without a gun. When I carry my Glock 27, I typically carry it OWB on my strong side, or IWB in the small of my back. When carrying my gun OWB, I clip my badge to my belt and leave my shirt untucked over the badge and gun. That way, if someone calls the police on me when I am not in the town I work in, I can easily show I am a good guy easily.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
///MCoupé;2960045 said:
That seems cool and all but I hope they at least ID'd your son and made sure he had no warrants?

Why? What he was doing was no more illegal or suspicious than buying a slurpee.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I was on my way home from work on a motorcycle a few years ago and was pulled over by a University of Alabama at Birmingham Police Officer because my weapon was showing out from under my jacket. (The UAB "campus" is scattered out all around downtown Birmingham so it wasn't like I was on school property but I was inside his jurisdiction and he is a "real" police officer.) I told him I had a concealed weapons license and he took my weapon and wallet at gun point....yes at gun point. I'm familiar with the procedures so I was compliant with his demands before he even made them. As soon as he pulled me over I turned off the bike and laid my keys on the ground and took off my helmet and sat it on the ground, keeping my hands visible and away from my body and the gun. He seemed disgruntled that I was actually clean and started to lecture me about having my weapon showing. I explained to him that the wind had blown my jacket over my holstered pistol and that it wasn't my intent to show. I then explained that it wasn't illegal to open carry in the State of Alabama. He looked at me like I was telling him the sun was made out of cookie dough so I quoted him the paragraph designation in the Alabama Criminal Code that discussed weapons carry. He called it in and of course, I was right. I now see this same cop all the time.....I'm the Director of Security. Most Cops try to do their jobs to the best of their ability but unfortunately a few are uninformed, uneducated and mis-motivated.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Why? What he was doing was no more illegal or suspicious than buying a slurpee.
I'm having trouble keeping up with the multiple references to different state's statutes in different threads but if your state requires permits to carry a gun and a person doesn't produce one while carrying then he should be ID'd and NCIC'd at a minimum. He was in a private business and the store owner was within his right to request the police services. I think I read earlier today before I posted that your state requires guns to be kept separate and locked from the driver while driving?

I'm not OK with being stopped in public and checked because I have a gun showing but I accept it completely if I'm in a private business and the store operators question it... especially a convenience store.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts