Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i recently bought a 10.3" complete cmmg upper. well it came with the one piece gas ring and it seemed REALLY loose.you could shake the BCG and the bolt would move in and out. so i figured if the gun had any problems i would start with that. well sure enough the gun would not cycle correctly and i bought some new regular gas rings and tried it out and it works perfectly now. not one problem. i will never even think about using on of them again. of and it was a new upper and new BCG

i dont know what brand the 1 pc. ring was but the bolt and upper are CMMG

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Was probably the McFarland.....one came in the SPR upper I bought also.
Didn't even shoot it, took it out and threw it away. Replaced with regular 3 rings.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was probably the McFarland.....one came in the SPR upper I bought also.
Didn't even shoot it, took it out and threw it away. Replaced with regular 3 rings.
funny thing is i was thinking about getting one for my other ar15.... that was before i got this one though and i will never even think about it now. i dont know why i thought about getting one, i guess i just figured it was "better" and they are cheap. well im glad i didnt. i guess its just another answer to a problem that doesnt exist. i need to think of some part that people "need" and then create a problem it supposedly fixes, seems like an easy way to make money

Has anyone ever had a problem with their gas rings aligning and causing a gas leak. they claim that it is a problem but i have yet to hear about this ever happening to anyone.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Suppose it is possible, but we never had any problems. The end gaps once installed in the carrier are very tight, kinda like piston rings in a car engine.

We had beater M16's come in that supposingly still shot and grouped well that had one (1) and sometimes two (2) gas rings cracked in multiple places.

We would pull down the carrier group and pieces of rings would fall out. Very fouled. Obviously the weapons had NEVER been properly cleaned. HB of CJ

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suppose it is possible, but we never had any problems. The end gaps once installed in the carrier are very tight, kinda like piston rings in a car engine.

We had beater M16's come in that supposingly still shot and grouped well that had one (1) and sometimes two (2) gas rings cracked in multiple places.

We would pull down the carrier group and pieces of rings would fall out. Very fouled. Obviously the weapons had NEVER been properly cleaned. HB of CJ
yea i supose it is possible for it to align but i have never seen it happen, i wouldnt mind using the 1 piece ring if it was a tight fit but any gain in reliability you might get you will lose that reliability by having it be a loose fit and will be worse off then when you started. the 3 piece rings have been working for decades without any problem. and the way i see it if the 3 piece rings are good enough for the military and LEO that protect and serve our country then they are good enough for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts