Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some aluminum snap caps that tuned out to be crap. After a few dry fires, they started chipping and flaking and the part where the "bullet" met the cartridge, they deformed, to the point where my gun jammed and I had to use a dowel to get the snap cap out. Quite frustrating, as you can see from the pics.

Used vs. new snap caps:

You can see the used one on the left vs. the new one on the right.

Better pic of the used one:

Anyway, thought I would share my experience, these were from Mononlabe llc through Amazon. They are similar to A-Zoom as well.

Anyone have similar experiences?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Wow. That must be some soft aluminum. I don't think my 15 year old A-zooms have that much wear on the rim. Their web site lists them as "dummy training ammo" so perhaps they are only meant for the magazine. ;)

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
My A Zooms are holding up pretty well. I don't do a lot of chambering or slide cycling with them tho. I leave one snap cap in the chamber and pull the slide back just far enough to cock the striker. I also use the plastic Tipton snap caps, but I think after a while, they lose some of their effectiveness.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to try some tiptons next, I'm kinda scared of anything aluminum after my current experience, nice to hear your A-Zooms have held up. The downside is I found little flecks of the aluminum in the gun, which can't be a good thing. I cleaned them out, but metal on metal can't be good for a pistol

·
Registered
3,278 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I've run Tiptons and Azoom. If I could get the soft rubber primer area of the Azoom put in place of the spring loaded Tipton, that would be my ideal snap cap. I find the Azooms get chewed up much more than the Tipton. On the other hand, I wonder after the firing pin has indented a divot into the primer of the Tipton if the spring/primer area is actually absorbing any energy. The Tiptons do shave off, you'll get fine metal flakes in the gun's action. That's why compressed air was made, besides the use of blowing up basketballs (with apologies to Bill Cosby).

I use the laserlyte cartidges in my guns, get a laser indicator and a snap cap all in one. Most of my dry firing is for trigger and aiming practice.

I now just use the snap caps to cycle the action after cleaning to reassure myself all is well there and for malfunction running through malfunction drills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts