Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've been away from the board for awhile, then came back and discovered there have been some issues with cracked locking blocks. I took a look at my xd-9 4", bi-tone, and sure enough, 2 fine, but very long fissures are present. Each fissure runs the length of the block. :shock:

I have some good pics of the cracks I took today, but have no way of hosting them myself. I'll be happy to email them to any generous soul who would like to post them, just let me know...

I'll do a search, but in the meantime, what is the procedure for getting my pistol to Springfield for a fix?

Thanks in advance,
IBCGUY

·
Registered
4,183 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Call SA and they will tell you what to do to get it to them. Post the pics first if possible so we can seeeee!
Happy Shooting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, bear with me as this is my first time posting pics on the web...this may take some trial and error :oops:

First, some pics of the left side:

and the right side:

So, what's up with these cracks!? :shock:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I do not think those are cracks in you locking block.
If they are cracks I think your locking block would have completely failed by now.

Just imperfections in the metal.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It does look pretty odd though.
Are ALL of the locking block cracks on .40 Service and Tacs?
Are there some 9mm ones that have cracked as well.
I can't recall seeing any posts about SC's cracking yet..have I missed some?

·
Registered
23 Posts
i second that...the pictures don't show it being a stress fracture. I think it is more of a manufactured imperfection. Just show the pics to SA and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
my XD SC 9mm has 25,000 rounds fired down the barrel and I have had ZERO issues with the gun, no cracks.

Methinks this is the new "rust" problem.

·
Registered
219 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:
I do not think those are cracks in you locking block.
If they are cracks I think your locking block would have completely failed by now.

Just imperfections in the metal.
I would have to agree. although they do look like cracks

·
Registered
144 Posts
The last photo in the column may have the cracks in the location that most are familiar with. The flash from the camera may make it a little difficult to detect, but it does look like they are there.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Lonnie said:
The last photo in the column may have the cracks in the location that most are familiar with. The flash from the camera may make it a little difficult to detect, but it does look like they are there.
Yeah I can see it in the last pic.Thats where mine is cracked.
Mine is cracked on both sides.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
looks lik imperfections to me. THere are no real stresses on that part that would cause the cracks that have been happening in the .40 locking blocks. The cracks happen where the barrel feed ramp engages teh locking block. No, you might have one in that area as noted before in that last pic, but its hard to tell with the flash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies...
I have only seen one other set of pics of a cracked block on an XD, any one else have some pics so I can compare?

I guess it's possible that these are imperfections in the metal (as opposed to cracks), but these certainly weren't on the gun when it was new. I am guessing they happened within the last 200-300 rounds (out of less than 1000 since I bought it).

The cracks run the entire length of the rail of the block, all the way to the first "terrace" where the block starts to decend into the feed ramp. That description probably isn't too helpful, I'll try to post some more pics soon.

Any other ideas?

IBCGUY

·
Registered
821 Posts
ibcguy2 said:
Thanks for all the replies...
I have only seen one other set of pics of a cracked block on an XD, any one else have some pics so I can compare?

I guess it's possible that these are imperfections in the metal (as opposed to cracks), but these certainly weren't on the gun when it was new. I am guessing they happened within the last 200-300 rounds (out of less than 1000 since I bought it).

The cracks run the entire length of the rail of the block, all the way to the first "terrace" where the block starts to decend into the feed ramp. That description probably isn't too helpful, I'll try to post some more pics soon.

Any other ideas?

IBCGUY
Look here
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=26493&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
pic shows the cracks.Mine looks like the ones in the post
except the cracks are smaller.I had to borrow a magnifing
glass from the kids to see them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looked at your pics & my XD...the long "cracks" look like a metal ridge, a casting imperfection. However I agree that in your last pic it looks like you may be developing an actual crack in the "usual" spot...it's the upper left corner of the opening of the block in your pic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts