Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.25 40s&w. I was shooting my first steel match last week and during the match I had what I thought at first was a squib but after checking the barrel and finding it clean I continued on. Well when I was up to shoot next my gun would not shoot. You couldn't even pull the trigger. I decided to call it a day. I got home and was starting to clean my gun and noticed a crack in the frame just under the slide. The next morning I called springfield and they told me send it in. I got a call today from springfield and they said that they determined it to be a cartridge failure and that it would not be covered by the warranty and I would have to pay $77to get it fixed. I hope it will get back before Tuesday because there is another match I want shoot at.
My question/concern is should I expect this to happen again? How many times have you guys heard of this? I was shooting factory ammo. I know that people on here have thousands of rounds through there guns with both factory and reloads.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was shooting some federal American eagle 165 fmj and some monarch 165 fmj. What exactly is a kaboom? I just have a pic of the frame after I found the crack at home. What do you think Is missing Ajames?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I was shooting some federal American eagle 165 fmj and some monarch 165 fmj. What exactly is a kaboom? I just have a pic of the frame after I found the crack at home. What do you think Is missing Ajames?
Post pic, It will help.

Which ammo was in the gun at the time of it stop working?

A Kaboom is where the ammo is over charged and well the ammo goes kaboom in your chamber and you get damage to slide, barrel, and/or frame. If this is what happend then you need to contact the ammo manufacturer and talk to them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure it was the monarch the reason why I'm unsure is because I packed everything up not knowing there was a bigger issue until I got home and noticed the crack. I will try to post a pic I have never posted pics on forums. Have you guys seen this happen very often? The guy at springfield said that he had seen it several times before.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
What did the barrel look like? Are there any obvious signs from the barrel that it was indeed ammo related?

I will say that if they're only charging $77 for the repair it could be worse.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
After seeing the picture, that is the classic place on the frame were the break occurs during a kaboom. You can see another here that had a little bit more damage than yours.

XDM 5.25 Kaboom - Tacti-Cool.com
are there more 5.25s blowing up than other models or is this just a coincidence? i only ask bc this thread is a 5.25 and so is the one on your website.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think its just a coincidence. It doesn't matter what gun you are using the problem is the bullet. May be some guns can take the stress better than others, but that portion of the frame should be more or less the same across all XDMs.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I think its just a coincidence. It doesn't matter what gun you are using the problem is the bullet. May be some guns can take the stress better than others, but that portion of the frame should be more or less the same across all XDMs.

yeah, im guessing it was just a coincidence but i haven't seen too many xd's blown up in general and 2 are 5.25. im unsurprised that both guns mentioned in this thread are .40. hopefully there isn't a frame issue with that model.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Always a .40

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The barrel looked good imo. Just so everybody knows I'm not upset about the fact that it happened and being charged by springfield. I know that it could have been worse. My concern is moving forward do I need to be more picky with my ammo? Is this a fluke? This gun had less than 200rds through it. I am not currently reloading .40 but will be in the future and feel I need be more careful about the loads I use. The guy at springfield did say that this not the first time this has happened. If it happens again I think I may get rid of the gun and get something with a steel frame.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The gun is on its way back to me and should be here Tuesday just in time for another steel match that night so we will see what happens.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
I thought that when we only hear of Glocks doing this? :confused: :rolleyes:

;)

OP, glad SA is fixing it cheap and fast for you. Good luck at your next match!

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
The barrel looked good imo. Just so everybody knows I'm not upset about the fact that it happened and being charged by springfield. I know that it could have been worse. My concern is moving forward do I need to be more picky with my ammo? Is this a fluke? This gun had less than 200rds through it. I am not currently reloading .40 but will be in the future and feel I need be more careful about the loads I use. The guy at springfield did say that this not the first time this has happened. If it happens again I think I may get rid of the gun and get something with a steel frame.

It was a fluke . Ammo was probably double charged and "kaboom". It usually happens with reloaded ammo. I might not shoot any more ammo out of the last batch you were shooting just in case.

As far as Monarch or WWB, I shoot both and never have had an issue yet.

Keep us updated!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts