Do you have cracks on your XDM

• Yes! I have cracks

• No! -just mold lines

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I purchased a new XDM .40 two-tone from Cabelas. I get the pistol home to switch out the backstrap before heading to the range. I tapped the role pin out with a punch and lifted off the backstrap. I noticed a crack where the pin is secured to the back of the frame/grip. It appears that the hole may have been two small for the pin -when the pin was first driven in.

This pretty much ruined my day... I took the pistol back to Cabelas. Cabelas was really good about it and offered to exchange for another XDM .40 Two-Tone. Cabelas offered to switch out the backstrap on the new pistol for me. As they tapped the pin out and lifted off the back strap there was a crack. I couldn't believe it.:cry:

Cabelas is sending my pistol and the other pistol back to Springfield. Hopefully, SA will repair/replace the frame quickly and correct this problem on future XDMs. I can honestly say I am a little skeptical about he quality going into these new XDMs.

Kudos go out to Cabelas for trying to make things right. For you guys getting new XDMs; check the backstrap pin hole for a crack where the pin is secured to the frame/grip.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
that sux, next time take a pic for us to see. SA will make it right.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Sorry to here that man. I didnt try to switch mine b/c the grip felt right. I wonder if any one else has this problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is interesting. I visited SA's website and downloaded the manual. I enlarged the pics that demonstrate removal of the backstrap. I enlarged one and it appears their gun has the crack. This is a definite crack and I don't think it should be normal...

Anyone want to take their backstrap off and take a pic? I would like to know how 'common' this crack is.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I thought the same thing with my Sub compact. It was by the mag release button.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure it's not a machine mark?

I swore my sub compact had a crack, but it ended up being just that...a mark left by the machine. Several others also have it, and it in no way effects the gun.
No its a definite crack. I could seperate it with my finger nail.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It'll be interesting to hear if this is on all of them and that it may be "by design". This allows the pin to be, in fact, larger than the hole and that the split allows the pin to be retained through application of pressure rather than just trying to get it to "fit" the hole.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Change my backstrap today, and have the very same "crack". Looks exactly like the pic. I really didn't seem to be able to cause any further problems. Looks like it just split from pin.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I wonder if it's supposed to be there. Maybe when you insert the pin it expands the hole, thus the crack. Like someone else said, I would see if it is smooth and looks machined or if it's rough and looks cracked. Did you call SA about it and ask? You're prob not the first person to inquire about this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know if it's a crack or a machine mark. Mine doesn't have it. I changed my grips out the first day I had the gun. My complaint is, why didn't they use a solid pin (a la Glock) instead of a cheap, flimsy roll pin? Much easier to drive with a punch and just better engineering. They probabably only saved about a penny per gun, but when you make millions of guns....... Now, if they'd just put a better trigger on them, they'd be just about perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know if it's a crack or a machine mark. Mine doesn't have it. I changed my grips out the first day I had the gun. My complaint is, why didn't they use a solid pin (a la Glock) instead of a cheap, flimsy roll pin? Much easier to drive with a punch and just better engineering. They probabably only saved about a penny per gun, but when you make millions of guns....... Now, if they'd just put a better trigger on them, they'd be just about perfect.
Or use a screw (a la FN).:confused:

·
Registered
102 Posts
i changed my backstrap on day 1 and didn't notice anything.
i took the backstrap off today to have a look and it has a clear line on each loop of the frame that the pin drifts through. they are definitely not cracks, as they don't continue down the sides of the loops towards the hole the pin drifts through. they are both symmetrical and perfectly straight.
me thinks they are either cast/machine/injection marks.
maybe it's a weak spot that cracks on the seam when it does crack?

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Starting to look like a weak spot in the design.
Oh great, now the Glockies can finally point to a flaw.
You're going to surrender that easily?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would highly doubt a company renowned as Springfield would let every gun go if it had a crack there. Especially since they photographed it and put it in the manual.

It is probably split for a compression entry of the pin.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts