Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a few XD(M)s and when cleaning one of the 5.25s this week, we noticed a hair-line crack on the face of the breach. The gun does have about 25K rounds through it, but never a single problem. Anyone else see this problem, and I'm wondering what the resolution would be, not sure SA replaces slides as they have matching serial numbers to the frame? Would they want to replace the whole gun?

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
They will make it good, I bought a new frame a few years ago. They let me know that the original serial number in their records was the "official" serial number for my gun. Either way, they will take care of you, the serial number would be the least of my worries.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You bought just a frame? It's been awhile, but in the past they would not seperate the two, slide and frame, due to serial numbers being on each part. I really am not worried about the serial number, more about them replacing the lower frame, the SA custom shop did a trigger job on it, and I would hate to get a new gun replacement, minus my SA Custom Shop work.

Might wait until the end of the shooting season to RMA it to SA, we shoot 9mm Minor loads, Production and Limited class, and it does not appear to be causing any issues.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would you shoot it with a cracked breech?
I guess cause I don't see it as a huge threat?

Maybe I need to revisit that thought?

·
Registered
332 Posts
The breach is a highly stressed part of the pistol. I would consider a crack anywhere on the slide to be a major safety issue. the last thing you want is for the slide to blow apart while shooting.

I doubt that that SA will replace the frame unless they also find a problem there.

The legal serialized part is the frame. Although having matching serial numbers is nice to have, it is not a legal requirement.

I would highly recommend contacting SA and get an RMA as soon as possible.

Please, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
As others have stated, contact SA, and I believe they will take care of you. Keep us posted, will be interested to hear what happens.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already contacted SA on Thurs, before I posted, they are sending me an email with an RMA tag. They just could not confirm whether they would replace the slide, gun, or what they would do? We plan on sending it back this week and we'll see what they do.

A buddy of mine lost a nice S&W Revolver for a broken firing pin, S&W decided it was junk and would not return it, took forever to replace it, so he lost a family revolver, and after 6 months eventually got a 'like worth' revolver. Once a manufactor gets something, and they deem it not safe, your kind of left at their fate, whether they decide to repair, replace, or whatever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The same exact thing happened to my 5.25 in exactly the same place after 15K rounds. Springfield made it right. I sent my slide to them 2nd day UPS on Monday and it was back the following Monday. The service was excellent, they removed and replaced my Dawson front sight and all the Springer parts I had on it!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Has Springfield offered an explanation as to the breech face failures? 25k and 15k round counts are somewhat high but not ridiculously so.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The same exact thing happened to my 5.25 in exactly the same place after 15K rounds. Springfield made it right. I sent my slide to them 2nd day UPS on Monday and it was back the following Monday. The service was excellent, they removed and replaced my Dawson front sight and all the Springer parts I had on it!
.... at least you should be glad SA agreed to service the firearm and not reject as it had after-market products on it. :mrgreen:

Some manufacturers flatly refuse if any OEM parts are replace with after-market ones. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
.... at least you should be glad SA agreed to service the firearm and not reject as it had after-market products on it. :mrgreen:

Some manufacturers flatly refuse if any OEM parts are replace with after-market ones. :mrgreen:
at which point you politely remind said warrantor of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts