Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so there is a girl I work with that has a 17 year old that has been to the range a couple time with a friend and his dad. She found out that this is a new hobby I picked up and was hoping that maybe I can Take him with me sometimes. Im not new to guns but new to range play. I dont mind it as long as the guy isnt a prick and listens to me. But as we all know its not a cheap hobby to have. So with that ssaid she will of coarse pay for whatever ammo he spends and maybe even the range time seeing as Im doing her/him a favor. Ive never met the kid but me and her hang out someimes. The kids stepdad is a effing tard/stoner/loser/rich kid type.

So more or less im looking for advice on the subject. My main thing is I will be responsible for someones kid while at the range. How can I protect myself legaly from any freak accidents or him doing something stupid? I all about helping out where I can but not sure how to go about this. I told her she should be there for the first few trips to watch and see if there is something she may not be comfy with. Even suggested her and him maybe getting with an instructor so i know he has some idea as to whats going on.

Sorry for the long read and hope Im posting in the correct forum. Thanx in advance guys........

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Ok so there is a girl I work with that has a 17 year old that has been to the range a couple time with a friend and his dad. She found out that this is a new hobby I picked up and was hoping that maybe I can Take him with me sometimes. Im not new to guns but new to range play. I dont mind it as long as the guy isnt a prick and listens to me. But as we all know its not a cheap hobby to have. So with that ssaid she will of coarse pay for whatever ammo he spends and maybe even the range time seeing as Im doing her/him a favor. Ive never met the kid but me and her hang out someimes. The kids stepdad is a effing tard/stoner/loser/rich kid type.

So more or less im looking for advice on the subject. My main thing is I will be responsible for someones kid while at the range. How can I protect myself legaly from any freak accidents or him doing something stupid? I all about helping out where I can but not sure how to go about this. I told her she should be there for the first few trips to watch and see if there is something she may not be comfy with. Even suggested her and him maybe getting with an instructor so i know he has some idea as to whats going on.

Sorry for the long read and hope Im posting in the correct forum. Thanx in advance guys........

take his momma too. if she is there you have little to no liability for his actions.

·
Registered
408 Posts
take his momma too. if she is there you have little to no liability for his actions.

This.

It's the absolute only way to do it. Anything else, & you're basically setting yourself up regardless of if she says it's ok or not. There's no way I'd do it.

I've taken my lil bro shooting before & he once asked me to take him & a friend or two of his. I told him not a chance. I'll take him any time he wants to go, but I'm not taking responsibility for other peoples kids, not to mention I have no idea if they are safe around firearms.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thats what i kinda needed to hear. Was thinking if he prooved to be responsible then she could not have to go but yeah that makes more sense to have her there. Either she says yeah or he finds someone else to take him.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Idk I think that the previous replies are all good advice but I'm a bit biased I guess because when I was a kid I would go shooting with family friends all the time. This was never at public ranges though always on private property and there was mutual trust between parents and I had already been through safety courses and was fairly experienced with guns. IMHO it is possible for something like this to work out. It just depends on all parties. Maybe it's just a country thing idk. Good luck whatever you decide!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
There is a cut off age with handguns that requires you to have a WRITTEN note SIGNED by the parent or legal guardian stating that the minor child has express permission to use a handgun at the range.

I don't have my normal links handy on a loaner 'puter, but you should google up the federal law side of it.

Oh forgot.... I also make kids repeat the 4 rules of guns and explain what they mean before we go and then AT the range have them do it again and point out the safe directions to me and why they are safe or not safe.
Then I add the rule about the range master. You INSTANTLY do what he says without question. And finally show them how to safe a weapon and when/where it is acceptable to touch it, load it and reload mags. While loading mags they will be repeating the 4 rules as I quiz them on it. Never had a problem, but I always explain why things are the way they are. Kids are smarter (but less educated / experienced) than we give them credit for, so they appreciate and respond better to being told the why.

I would have momma pay for the rounds. She can pick them up at walmart (write down the caliber and the cheapest fmj for practice). I would have the KID pay for 1/2 range time. Everyone has "skin in the game" as they say. If the kid breaks rules or otherwise F's up, leave right away.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
+100 on the 4 rules drummed into his head. Stand on one side and be ready to grab the gun and action until you are comfortable he will be OK. New shooters will need constant reminders about finger on the trigger.
If his Mom isn't along, you will probably have to have written permission at the range. He should supply his own ammo, teaches him the cost and responsiblity. Make him mow the lawn or something to earn it.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I've never met the kid but me and her hang out sometimes. The kids stepdad is a effing tard/stoner/loser/rich kid type.

Doesn't sound like her current husband would like a date too much. Like this guy, I have MANY gal pals without benefits.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Definitely take mom with you. You absolutely have to protect yourself from liability. That being said,I think it's pretty cool of you to consider teaching someone else's child some skills that may actually help him out in the long run. Need more people like you to influence this next generation since a lot of parents today just don't give a damn. +1 to you. Good luck.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The mom being there does not remove liability from you BUT a signed waiver from her does

·
Registered
431 Posts
I also think it's respectable that you're considering taking your co-workers son. We all need to teach our kids the proper way to handle and respect firearms as there are way too many irresponsible parents and kids who don't take the time. Whatever you decide, just the fact that you're thinking about it shows you're a responsible gun owner and god knows we need more guys like you.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is a cut off age with handguns that requires you to have a WRITTEN note SIGNED by the parent or legal guardian stating that the minor child has express permission to use a handgun at the range.

I don't have my normal links handy on a loaner 'puter, but you should google up the federal law side of it.

Oh forgot.... I also make kids repeat the 4 rules of guns and explain what they mean before we go and then AT the range have them do it again and point out the safe directions to me and why they are safe or not safe.
Then I add the rule about the range master. You INSTANTLY do what he says without question. And finally show them how to safe a weapon and when/where it is acceptable to touch it, load it and reload mags. While loading mags they will be repeating the 4 rules as I quiz them on it. Never had a problem, but I always explain why things are the way they are. Kids are smarter (but less educated / experienced) than we give them credit for, so they appreciate and respond better to being told the why.

I would have momma pay for the rounds. She can pick them up at walmart (write down the caliber and the cheapest fmj for practice). I would have the KID pay for 1/2 range time. Everyone has "skin in the game" as they say. If the kid breaks rules or otherwise F's up, leave right away.
Good idea too. May I ask the actual rules. I know what I do is safe but would like to know what you are teaching.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've never met the kid but me and her hang out sometimes. The kids stepdad is a effing tard/stoner/loser/rich kid type.

Doesn't sound like her current husband would like a date too much. Like this guy, I have MANY gal pals without benefits.
The Guy is a real tool. I have no respect for him. He talks and treats her like ****. Caught him in the act one nite. Told him to back off. He tried to get physical but it ended bad for the Guy. I know he doesn't like me but he's scared of me and keeps his mouth in check when I'm around. They both came on with my company as temps a few years ago. I took her on and kicked him to the curb. Was worthless.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Definitely take mom with you. You absolutely have to protect yourself from liability. That being said,I think it's pretty cool of you to consider teaching someone else's child some skills that may actually help him out in the long run. Need more people like you to influence this next generation since a lot of parents today just don't give a damn. +1 to you. Good luck.[/QUO
TE]

Thanx and that's the main reason I want to. I've been without a father since I was 9. So I like doing what I can. Just have to juggle time with him and my 9 year old at the range. Haven't taken my son yet but will be at the range Sunday ( wich I can't wait for) and will be asking lots of questions on her kid and my son as far as if he's old enuff to be there and shoot.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also think it's respectable that you're considering taking your co-workers son. We all need to teach our kids the proper way to handle and respect firearms as there are way too many irresponsible parents and kids who don't take the time. Whatever you decide, just the fact that you're thinking about it shows you're a responsible gun owner and god knows we need more guys like you.
Yeah I believe that a kid that's had the right experience and teaching on firearms makes for a safer home with firearms. Now remember I'm still kinda new at this and am all ears on good advice.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh and last she will be taking care of the majority of cost if and or when I start taking him. I'm not a cheap Guy but I do believe nothing is free in life. Plus range play isn't cheap. I'm cool with the extra rounds being put thru my XD. But would like to get a XD dedicated to the range. That way if it does break ill still have one at home. Thought about a 9 mm. SC cus its cheaper to play but I want all practice to be on a 40 seeing as that's what ill be carrying.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts