Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,214 Posts
I saw a meme that said something along the lines of:

Dear criminals,

I am stuck at home dealing with my wife who is constantly nagging and a daughter who won’t stop making TikTok videos. Please pick a different house.

Sincerely,

A frustrated, barely hang on, armed to the teeth, Father.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
It's interesting to see how the local crime figures....let's assume that they can be trusted :rolleyes: -

.....have changed.

Is COVID-19 crisis affecting crime?

^ That's CLE proper.

Here where I am in one of the "better" inner-ring suburbs on the east side of metro-CLE, friends in the local PD have said that they've experienced a really nice break from the usual, that it's been very, very quiet.

We'll see what the coming days hold.

One of my favorite local instructors and a friend, a Jarhead, and an active LEO, posted this to his FB Story yesterday :D We joked around a bit after that.

upload_2020-4-7_11-11-30.png

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WA State preparing to release some prisoners early.

snippet:

Gov. Jay Inslee and Corrections Secretary Steve Sinclair said Thursday the state is working to release some non-violent offenders from prison due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Inslee’s announcement came less than a day after more than 100 inmates at the Monroe Correctional Complex ‘revolted’ when they learned six fellow inmates and five prison staff members all tested positive for the coronavirus.

Corrections officers used verbal orders, pepper spray and rubber pellets to get the demonstrators under control, but the inmates ignored those efforts, officials said. Both housing units were evacuated and the situation was under control soon afterward. No one was injured.

Coronavirus: State working to release some non-violent offenders from prison, Inslee says

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rantz: Seattle burglary explodes 87% downtown after coronavirus policy, crisis

Empty stores and buildings, and the thieves are being charged but not booked (COVID-19 booking policy). They'll probably never do time for it.

These are mostly commercial burglaries, but you might assess at home and lock up your stuff...
  1. Rantz: Seattle burglary explodes 87% downtown after coronavirus policy, crisis

Empty stores and buildings, and the thieves are being charged but not booked (COVID-19 booking policy). They'll probably never do time for it.

These are mostly commercial burglaries, but you might assess at home and lock up your stuff...
    Rantz: Seattle burglary explodes 87% downtown after coronavirus policy, crisis

It's interesting to see how the local crime figures....let's assume that they can be trusted :rolleyes: -

.....have changed.

Is COVID-19 crisis affecting crime?

^ That's CLE proper.

Here where I am in one of the "better" inner-ring suburbs on the east side of metro-CLE, friends in the local PD have said that they've experienced a really nice break from the usual, that it's been very, very quiet.

We'll see what the coming days hold.

One of my favorite local instructors and a friend, a Jarhead, and an active LEO, posted this to his FB Story yesterday :D We joked around a bit after that.

View attachment 764941
They're way to soft on these dirtbags, keep them in prison where they belong! Bunch of bleeding heart Liberals!

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Analytics on the WA State prisoner release.
Power BI Report

A copied comment from another gun forum:

The two biggest categories are drugs and guns. Notice how many crimes are Unlawful Possession of Firearms or Theft of a Firearm! 71 total, mostly in King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties.
Unlawful Possession doesn't sound so bad, right? BUT! With a couple of exceptions, in order to be charged with unlawful possession, you have to ALREADY BE A CONVICTED FELON. Which means that you probably committed some sort of violent crime: assault, BIG theft, stalking, residential burglary, stealing a gun, auto theft, manslaughter, rape, child abuse, or worse. There are also some gross misdemeanors like domestic violence assault that will prevent you from being able to legally own a firearm.
We're told these are non-violent: no violent or sex offense. BUT, with some exceptions, many of these criminals ARE IN FACT VIOLENT. And they're being released into our communities.
The Alliance For Gun Responsibility says, "We want to reduce gun violence!" But the number 2 category of people being released from prison are felons who committed gun crimes!
Oh, and that's not all. The governor's emergency commutation is only supposed to apply to those who would normally be released by June 29, 2020 (about 2.5 months). BUT that projected release date is computed based on some complicated formula of a (very) early release based on (very) good behavior. And given the very high rate of recidivism all over the US, those are extremely generous assumptions.
Folks, this is atrocious. And it is going to get worse, with 11,000 more prisoners being considered for COVID-19 early release.
They are not notifying victims of their past crimes.

·
Super Moderator
16,611 Posts
Analytics on the WA State prisoner release.
Power BI Report

A copied comment from another gun forum:

The two biggest categories are drugs and guns. Notice how many crimes are Unlawful Possession of Firearms or Theft of a Firearm! 71 total, mostly in King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties.
Unlawful Possession doesn't sound so bad, right? BUT! With a couple of exceptions, in order to be charged with unlawful possession, you have to ALREADY BE A CONVICTED FELON. Which means that you probably committed some sort of violent crime: assault, BIG theft, stalking, residential burglary, stealing a gun, auto theft, manslaughter, rape, child abuse, or worse. There are also some gross misdemeanors like domestic violence assault that will prevent you from being able to legally own a firearm.
We're told these are non-violent: no violent or sex offense. BUT, with some exceptions, many of these criminals ARE IN FACT VIOLENT. And they're being released into our communities.
The Alliance For Gun Responsibility says, "We want to reduce gun violence!" But the number 2 category of people being released from prison are felons who committed gun crimes!
Oh, and that's not all. The governor's emergency commutation is only supposed to apply to those who would normally be released by June 29, 2020 (about 2.5 months). BUT that projected release date is computed based on some complicated formula of a (very) early release based on (very) good behavior. And given the very high rate of recidivism all over the US, those are extremely generous assumptions.
Folks, this is atrocious. And it is going to get worse, with 11,000 more prisoners being considered for COVID-19 early release.
They are not notifying victims of their past crimes.
So just this case.... The article (not even article... Post) states you have to already be a felon... No, that's ONE way. Concealed carry without permit, carrying in a manner you didn't think was concealed but is, being in a place that you can't carry but are... There are other, not just a couple exceptions (they would also have to be more serious felonies) ... Also implying possession by prior offender... Which could be violent... But vastly more ways to be a non violent felon than to be a violent one. So numbers alone are not on their side.

But all this out rage for releasing convicts... 2.5 months early, to ease the problem of dealing with a pandemic. Oh... Generous formula... 4 months early? Fact is, they are getting out... SOON. So the fact it's a couple months early changes nothing of the fact they are bring released soon. And all of this for the fact that if inmates are sick, high probability guards are. High probability the guards will bring it in. And if guards get sick, then who is in control of the prison? Or if a percentage of guards are sick, then they are more short staffed than they already are... Which puts the ones working in more danger, from actual violent offenders not getting out.

So ya... Remind me again why we should be so outraged?

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
^ As-usual, you provide very valid counterpoints.

But just to make sure that things are completely Kosher -

So just this case.... The article (not even article... Post) states you have to already be a felon... No, that's ONE way. Concealed carry without permit, carrying in a manner you didn't think was concealed but is, being in a place that you can't carry but are... There are other, not just a couple exceptions (they would also have to be more serious felonies) ... Also implying possession by prior offender... Which could be violent... But vastly more ways to be a non violent felon than to be a violent one. So numbers alone are not on their side.
Depending on the state statutes, some of the violations you listed can fall under anything from simple trespassing to minor misdemeanors to felonies.

·
Super Moderator
16,611 Posts
^ As-usual, you provide very valid counterpoints.

But just to make sure that things are completely Kosher -

Depending on the state statutes, some of the violations you listed can fall under anything from simple trespassing to minor misdemeanors to felonies.
Ya, I thought about that while writing... Even if not possession by prior offender... The firearm offense would have to be a felony to be in prison and not jail for 6 months... So it would be of a more serious nature and not sure what those would be... Outside of possession by prior which is a felony.

But big picture... There not letting death row out... They are looking at one's that are getting out soon that they can let out now. Maybe bad ones fall through, there will be others that are not bad but check a box and rejected. So is it so unreadable to let some out a LITTLE early.... Do we need add another outrage to the list?

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
^ Hey, there's always outrage to be had. ;)

FWIW - and I don't want to type words for @ATCclears , but I feel that I know him well enough via our interaction on this Forum - I don't think that was his goal.

Rather, I think it's to just point out something interesting. Yet another of the multifaceted ways that this COVID-19 craze has affected us, that we may not have ever thought about.

I mentioned before that I think that our governor is doing a good job with transparency on some of his policy decisions, and this is one area where I think he really did exceptionally well. For Ohio's releases, he took the time during press-conference to fully explain the release criteria, as well as, perhaps even more importantly, detailed why he was -NOT- releasing some of the prisoners who met the health and time-to-serve-remaining criteria.

It worked pretty well to quash the outrage machine, I think, in our state.

·
Super Moderator
16,611 Posts
^ Hey, there's always outrage to be had. ;)

FWIW - and I don't want to type words for @ATCclears , but I feel that I know him well enough via our interaction on this Forum - I don't think that was his goal.

Rather, I think it's to just point out something interesting. Yet another of the multifaceted ways that this COVID-19 craze has affected us, that we may not have ever thought about.

I mentioned before that I think that our governor is doing a good job with transparency on some of his policy decisions, and this is one area where I think he really did exceptionally well. For Ohio's releases, he took the time during press-conference to fully explain the release criteria, as well as, perhaps even more importantly, detailed why he was -NOT- releasing some of the prisoners who met the health and time-to-serve-remaining criteria.

It worked pretty well to quash the outrage machine, I think, in our state.
No, no, no... ATC just posts info. I wasn't directing it "at" him either. That and other articles about early releasing... Just speaking to the subject. There is some "spam" so bad you have to ask the poster what is your point posting such trash... But that is never ATC. Even Horsemen... "Sometimes" I take exception with some extreme example... But just as often I enjoy what he posts. Both of them are our little XDTalk news bots and they do a good job of it. :)

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Morning, guys. I'm late getting back to this.

Yes, posted that mostly as a FYI.

Personally, I don't agree with it here in WA State. We are not really getting the full story on how long these people had remaining in their sentences, their risk to re-offend, etc. I am also 'amused' that our anti-gun Governor Jay Inslee would release a large number of people for firearms violations (ie., unlawful possession) - it probably means they were a previous felon, not eligible to have a firearm, and had one anyway. How 'bout consistently upholding the laws, Jay? ...stop treating good people like criminals, and deal with the real criminals?... P_ssy.

Moreover, something I didn't post. There was an actual legal challenge to release even worse offenders. Thankfully the WA State Supreme Court said "No" that that legal challenge.
Washington Supreme Court rejects lawsuit seeking additional release of prisoners due to coronavirus threat

Your mileage may vary (YMMV) in your State, but be aware of the extreme thinking and stupidity happening out there.

·
Super Moderator
16,611 Posts
Morning, guys. I'm late getting back to this.

Yes, posted that mostly as a FYI.

Personally, I don't agree with it here in WA State. We are not really getting the full story on how long these people had remaining in their sentences, their risk to re-offend, etc. I am also 'amused' that our anti-gun Governor Jay Inslee would release a large number of people for firearms violations (ie., unlawful possession) - it probably means they were a previous felon, not eligible to have a firearm, and had one anyway. How 'bout consistently upholding the laws, Jay? ...stop treating good people like criminals, and deal with the real criminals?... P_ssy.

Moreover, something I didn't post. There was an actual legal challenge to release even worse offenders. Thankfully the WA State Supreme Court said "No" that that legal challenge.
Washington Supreme Court rejects lawsuit seeking additional release of prisoners due to coronavirus threat

Your mileage may vary (YMMV) in your State, but be aware of the extreme thinking and stupidity happening out there.
I agree with you... It's a interesting problem to be sure. Even if things got "worse"... Prisons are not releasing everyone. If you were in prison, and had like 6 months left, I sure as heck would not want to be in the petri pod either. But ya, tough... Everything is screwed getting out too.

Jails are pretty much all over crowded. They can release some of them. But in general, stay at home and general criminal law... Do you stop arresting people. Only the worst, violent? Most every where I've seen... Nobody wants to arrest a bunch of people not staying at home. Why do you want them in jail?

Then there's the whole other trend now about jails being packed only because people can't make bail... It's not like anyone is getting charges dropped. Everyone will be in court eventually. But why is your jail packed with people just cause they are broke? But ya, you can't just suspend arresting people.

And then the very real problem... All the guards getting sick. They are definitely essential. So you lock down whole prison for months, to prevent spread, and because you are so short staffed. That would be fun. It's how it would have to be though. Prisons are out of sight out of mind, but pandemics... Ya, that's a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts