Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Recently took a trip to the range/gun shop and saw that they have a stainless Springfield 1911 A1 in stock. Here is basically what it looks like...

My questions are is this a loaded? How can I tell if its a loaded or what the specifics of the model are?

The price is slightly under $500...good deal? Ill probably be trading in my colt trooper on it.

And finally... When I asked to see the pistol, some of the functions seemed VERY stiff. Like, dropping the magazine seemed tough, and when racking the slide it was very rough and pretty tough.

What are the chances that it just needs to be cleaned and gone through and lubed up alittle vs. something being wrong with it.

Cosmetically it looked fine. Couple wear marks here and there. But not bad. Any tips on what I should look at next time I go look at it?

Thanks!

J.

·
Registered
555 Posts
That does look like the loaded and for under $500 that sounds like a good price to me.

I would pick it up for that price but I wouldn't trade anything for it.

The stiffness sounds like its still so new it just needs to be used a little. I've heard that when racking the slide its common for SA 1911's to kinda get hung up on the disconnector. I know mine does it but its not a big deal. If this is what you mean by being rough thats just the way it is.

See if you can field strip it and see if there is anything that looks out of the ordinary but it sounds like its just needs to be worn in a little.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
The picture is of a loaded model yes.

That sounds like a good price. Like mentioned above, ask to field strip it and look it over really closely. Tightness in a 1911 isn't always a bad thing.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Looks like a good buy to me, probably needs lubed up a bit.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cool. Ill definetly go back and check it over again. Im not sure if it comes with a case or extra mags or anything extra. The rough feeling was just like you described. Almost like it was catching on something on its way back. And the mag was kinda stiff coming out. I didnt check out the bore or anything. I just checked it over kinda fast.

It seemed to be nice and clean. So maybe it wasnt very used. I was confused about the price, because it seemed low for what it was and what they usually sell 1911s for in there.

The reason I want to trade in my Colt is just because I dont shoot it anymore. I had them give me a price of what they'd give me for it, if I was buying another gun at the same time, and the price was "ok". Less than what Ide want to ask if I was selling it outright.

I dont think I can swing the price of the 1911 right now...but with the added support of the trade I could. I mean, I could afford it, but Im trying not to spend too much. Getting ready to get a new place...so I need to watch myself. Ive been wanting a 1911 for awhile, and passed up a good deal on a used Smith and Wesson awhile back. If this is truely a good deal, I dont want to pass it over. And if trading in the colt helps that, then so be it.

What exactly makes a loaded a loaded? Is it the hammer and beaver tail that clues you in?

J.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
The catching you describe sounds like the disconnector....that will wear in just fine.

The loaded model has upgraded sights, hammer, beavertail, logo grips, front serrations, trigger. Those are a few key points to tell them apart.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. Ok. I know the sights were like the ones in the picture. The hammer and tail where the same. I remember noticing that the tail seemed extended more than the others. The only difference is that the trigger wasnt as extended, and didnt have the holes. It looked more like a standard trigger. Also didnt take notice to the serrations or grips. I know they were wooden and Im pretty sure they had the logo in the middle.

Ill take another look and report back. Im going to try to decide what to do about my Colt. Ill let ya guys know and Ill probably post up if it finds its way back to my place. haha

J.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Sounds good! The beavertail on the loaded model is really nice, especially if you have big hands.

Here are mine...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice! Thanks for the advice!

I just started a thread a few days ago about my hands being big and having grip issues with my XD. haha. Im excited to go check this thing out again...I will look past the gritty feel and check it over better.

J.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
There are ways to smooth out the action relatively easy

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats good to hear. Ive been reading up on 1911s for awhile now. And I just feel like the info will make way more sense once Im holding one in front of me.

Another question I have. I noticed some minor appearance imperfections, as well as the "idiot" mark on the slide. How hard is it to clean up the stainless guns and get them looking good again. Is there still a coating on them to worry about? Or is it really just raw stainless.... My guns arent safe queens, but I still want them to look good. And the 1911 is one of the best looking guns ever. I want mine to be no exception.

J.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys, decided to keep my colt, and go check out the SA 1911 again anyway. haha. Im addicted.

What are some things I should look at to either entice me to buy, or to scare me away from this thing? Should I check anything in particular with the disconnector? I figured Ide do a visual and look for anything weird, but I dont want to mistake a f'ed up gun for one that needs to be broken in.

J.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eh...forget it. Its not a loaded. Its a Mil Spec with a commander hammer, and thats it really. It has dove tailed sights, and front serrations on the slide. So I dont know what was done to it. But everything else screams mil spec.

It was still a really nice pistol. Very clean except for some marks here and there, and the feed ramp area looked perfect. Still...Im looking for something alittle less molested and maybe brand new...

The search continues.

J.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would say it's a loaded looks the same as mine.
But all you need to do is call springfield with the serial# and they will tell you biuld date model The works.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Its def not a loaded... No beaver tail, not an SA hammer, no logo grips, solid trigger, safety on one side. The pic at the start of this thread was just a random one I found online. I was mistaken on some of the details from memory. I looked at a lot of pistols that day.

The slide is serrated at the front. Thats making me wonder if someone picked up a new slide or something.

Regardless, Im alittle learly about buying a gun that expensive that someone has modified. Especially since I cant shoot it first and once I buy it its mine. Ide rather wait, spend alittle more and pick up something brand new. And if I cant afford a loaded, which I dont think I can, Ill just get a Mil Spec and mod it later.

Ide still buy a completely stock used Loaded tho....I just dont want something thats been fooled with too much. Especially with how easy it is to screw up a 1911, and how picky they are about being tight and right.

J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts