Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if everything goes according to plan i will be putting a down payment on a new xdm 45 4.5 over the next couple weeks and i need a little bit of info from you guys. can anyone recommend a shoulder holster,i dont cc, but i do want something that is adjustable as im kinda a small framed guy.
what 230 gr. hps or jhps does your 45s do pretty good with? im also gonna buy a prp trigger kit and have a local smith install it for me and i wanted to know if a 2lb trigger pull would be to light and cause ftf problems? if so what pull weight would be recommended? thank you for your time

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
It will probably function with just about anything loaded to acceptable .45acp standards. For SD, find a couple major mfg ammo with good INDEPENDENT performance reviews and a price you like and then shoot a variety to find what your pistol likes (shoots tight groups at your POA at 25yds). Best ammo/pistol matchups require testing. Decide on a primary and at least one backup brand that has good groups.
IMO anything below 3.5 (minimum) trigger pull is probably going to give up an unreasonable degree of reliability.
Find someone that has experience installing the actual kit you are intending to use. Examine some of the results. Hopefully you will find a gunsmith that submerges the ego and actually follows the directions rather than deciding how the kit should be installed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just got back from the local gun store and they are wanting $725 to do layaway, does that seem a littlew high priced to you guys? should i look around and try to get a better price?

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
ammo? mine eats ANYTHING you feed it! I mostly carry gold dot 230's and let the rest punch holes in paper! the steel cased ammo was a bit sticky in the mag when it was new but all seems fine now! and I think I paid 600 otd for my xd 45c with an extra mag and a box of gold dots!

·
Registered
88 Posts
My bi-tone was $640,for factory ammo it shoots Hornady TAP-FPD(230gr XTP bullet loaded to +P) really good,I don't shoot them much though because of +P,the only other factory ammo that I shot was Federal Hydra-Shok that it liked also.Mostly I reload and this gun pretty much shoots all Jacketed bullets great so I think you can just pick the brand you want and not have to worry about your gun not shooting it good.Thats what I like about these guns (and why I also have a XDM40 and soon to get XDM9).The Precision trigger ultimate kit is worth it(and needed)IMHO, so you'll be happy with it.Good luck

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Congratulations on your decision. Great pistol. Look around for better prices though.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I carry IWB so cant help you with the holster, my XDM45 eats any ammo you through in it and the PRP triggers dont affect reliability at all. congrats of your 45. mine is by far my favorite gun in my collection

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
2lb trigger pulls should really be limited to a guns used for competition. 4-5lbs is about right for a self-defense handgun. HST, gold dot, pdx1, and dpx all make excellent .45 acp rounds.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is the prp ultimate match trigger adjustable for take up? and is it possible to have no take up at all with this trigger?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The trigger that comes with the kit has an adjustment screw for over travel but none for pretravel.It just eliminates most of it ,the way these triggers work it is imposible to have no pretravel because that is where the reset comes from.If you eliminate all of it there will be no "slack" to reset the trigger or you would end up with a full auto(fun but dangerous).TTBOMK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts