Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up to somewhere around 1.5k rounds.. Have not had ONE issue... until today. During the 'shoot' I went through maybe 300 rounds

Shooting my normal WWB and some remingtons... nothing new. Had my slide not lock back after the clip was empty.. this happened 3-4 times (these are SA clips, 15rd and 16rd..). The little nub that holds the thing up is in place.. everything looks normal. This happened throughout the shoot... not like I went 280rds and the gun was dirty and then it happend all the sudden...

Also had one (what I think is called) stovepipe... or FTE maybe? the shell was stuck between the slide and barrel pointing up.. wtf would cause that?

EDIT:

shot ~500 rounds today. I am having repeatable failure for the slide to stay back when the mag is empty.... ONLY with my 16rd mags. I have 2 15rds (came with gun) and 2 16rds that I bought from ajames. I was loading all 4 mags, then shooting them all, then loading them, then shooting. First load-up no problems.. Yay! then on the second load-up, bam. first 16rd failed to stay back. I marked it w/ a sharpie, smacked in the 2nd 16rd mag.. same thing at end of mag! When I reloaded them I smacked the bottom and made sure all rds were seated, etc. This time I had my gun jam on a winchester (I think...) silver-tip. I'm not 100% sure what happened.. it looked the the rd got cocked a little to the side while entering the chamber.. I was like wtf.. dropped the mag and cleared it. Shot the rest of them without a problem. Also had a stovepipe (again 16rd mag..) I dunno wtf the deal is. I'm about to get my micrometer and compare my mags. of my failures today:
15rd: none

15rd: none

16rd: 1 stovepipe (not mags fault?) fail to lock slide 6 times

16 rd: 1 jam (silvertips fault?) fail to lock slide ~7 times

ALSO:

my shells are going practically straight up. Some are hitting me in the head, most on right shoulder. What am I doing wrong? I am NOT limp wristing the gun.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Also had one (what I think is called) stovepipe... or FTE maybe? the shell was stuck between the slide and barrel pointing up.. wtf would cause that?
Alot of times its cause by limp wristing the gun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ichy_trigger said:
Alot of times its cause by limp wristing the gun.
hm. With revolvers I was taught to hold the gun tight with fingers, but allow plenty of movement with my arm/wrist. Should I hold my arm forcefully forward/tight? Also, I've always closed one eye.. another bad habit?

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
At least keep the wrists a bit stiff. When you let your joints go a bit loose you loose velocity on the slide and end up with these problems. It is typical with revolver shooters that switch, so you are not really odd, just odd that it took so long to show up. Anything that reduces the slide speed can cause this. Soft grips, weak ammo, not enough lube, too much grime, too cold of temperatures (thickens up the lube), too heavy of a recoil spring can all show up the same symptom.

As far as the eyes, usually having both eyes open helps for general awareness and less fatigue. I am left eye dominant and shoot "right-handed". Other than a couple of degrees on the neck vertebrae I am not sure why this is even brought up. If you have a problem with one eye catching the rear sight and the other catching the front then you can be screwed, but this can be fixed by a quick wink and the dominant eye will lock in (at least for me).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm ok.. well one thing that was different yesterday was that I was trying slightly different ways of holding the gun.

I'm going to go back today and shoot 100 or so and see if it happens again

Also.. is remoil okay as my only lube? I use some other stuff to clean, and remoil as lube

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh and also (and I've had my gun for a month or two maybe?) I had a weird nightmare last night (after coming back from the range..) That someone broke in, and I would pull the trigger and the gun wouldn't fire! I rack the slide, and same thing! At the same time a BG is coming right for me through the hall

arg

·
Registered
36 Posts
armatron said:
oh and also (and I've had my gun for a month or two maybe?) I had a weird nightmare last night (after coming back from the range..) That someone broke in, and I would pull the trigger and the gun wouldn't fire! I rack the slide, and same thing! At the same time a BG is coming right for me through the hall

arg
truthfully i've had many dreams of gun malfunctions at bad times... since you train and think about these scenarios, and have some reasonable level of concern regarding proper operation if you ever need it in a dire situation, you'll probably have more dreams like this

train, train, train... and buy quality stuff

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cliffs at bottom:

I practice all the time, and clean my gun meticulously after every trip to the range, even if I'm going the next day.

which, as I said in my last post.. I went today.. brought a girl with me to teach her how to shoot a handgun, and we didn't stay long. I put ~50-75 rds through it making sure to hold my wrist fairly stiff.. the slide failed to lock back once (out of 4 mags). This was a 16rd mag I bought from ajames. Unfortunately I had nothing to mark it with. I noticed it was REALLY hard to load the last 8 or so rds into the mag. Almost like something was binding? I'm not sure. I banged the bottom of the mag on my palm thinking maybe the rounds weren't seating properly or something. didn't really help much, I dunno. This was happening a little bit with the other 16rd mag I bought from him. Both of my 15rd mags work completely fine.

She shot about 10 rds.. 5 of which were the last from what I *think* was the same 16rd mag and it didn't lock back on her either. Maybe this mag is defective somehow? I compare it to a 15rd mag and the follow lever thing is at the exact same place. When I 'test' it without firing (using a snap cap) it seems to work fine.

So.. I took all my mags apart, cleaned and remoiled them. I used the FAQ and made sure the springs are of the correct orientation. I'll try and make another visit to the range this weekend.

Cliffs:
might have worked the problem down to an issue with a 16rd magazine. Can this be sent back to SA? It's been past 30 days since I bought it from ajames.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the_theologian said:
armatron said:

arg
truthfully i've had many dreams of gun malfunctions at bad times... since you train and think about these scenarios, and have some reasonable level of concern regarding proper operation if you ever need it in a dire situation, you'll probably have more dreams like this

The slide not locking back isn't a huge deal with a BG. What concerns me was the 'stove pipe' i had with that 1 round. It'll probably be another 1500 rds before I'm confident again.. even though I was paying attention at the range today and a guy with a glock had 2 problems where he had to mess with the slide to get a round out, and another with, I think, a walther or some sort had it jam on him.

·
Registered
36 Posts
armatron said:
the_theologian said:
armatron said:

arg

The slide not locking back isn't a huge deal with a BG. What concerns me was the 'stove pipe' i had with that 1 round. It'll probably be another 1500 rds before I'm confident again.. even though I was paying attention at the range today and a guy with a glock had 2 problems where he had to mess with the slide to get a round out, and another with, I think, a walther or some sort had it jam on him.
well, the only way to truly guarantee against such a situation (stovepiping) would be with a revolver. as we all know that with a double action revolver, even if you encounter a bad primer you simply pull the trigger to go on to the next round (single action you can continue on also, but of course it's a 2 step process; hammer/trigger)

however, i should mention that it should be a quality revolver, i.e. ruger, smith and wesson. i had a taurus model 85 and after 400 rounds or so the cylinder locked up, wouldn't rotate. went home, did a good "gun scrubber" cleaning, but the same thing happened after another 30 rounds. in my book, this is inexcusable, and the very reason that i'll never own another taurus revolver (or any taurus gun, but i'll save my taurus pistol stories for now :? )

go ahead taurus fans, bombard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts