Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little background: I don't currently own a handgun, but I am looking at getting one in the not too distant future. Basically just for a fun gun to do some shooting and maybe take up competitive shooting down the road, home defense, possibly hunting, and will most likely get my ccw. Pretty much looking to get a good 'all-around' gun.

My first question is this, What would be the best all around handgun? (I know I'm on an XD site, but that's what I'm leaning toward anyway. What size and caliber combo I guess is the question?)
2. Would it be possible to hunt deer with, say an XD40 Tactical?
3. What about a 9mm?

Thanks in advance for any input. I appreciate it. Sorry if it's a stupid question. Just thought I'd ask some knowledgeable people. I'm open to constructive criticism, but try not to be too mean to the newbie. lol

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! To be honest I dont think there is a best in the gun department. The suggestion I have, and most will have is to try and rent a few guns at your local range and find the one that suits you best. The handguns I hear about most are, Sig Saurer or 229, Glocks, XD's, 1911's, S&W's, and Rugers.

If your just starting out, look for a .22 pistol, if thats to small go with a 9mm. For hunting deer I would think a good .45 or .44 mag revolver would be better then an auto loader. Though you cant beat a shotgun for hunting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
THauch said:
My first question is this, What would be the best all around handgun? (I know I'm on an XD site, but that's what I'm leaning toward anyway. What size and caliber combo I guess is the question?)
2. Would it be possible to hunt deer with, say an XD40 Tactical?
3. What about a 9mm?
Sorry if it's a stupid question.
First, the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask. NEVER be afraid to ask for advice about weapons....just remember to consider the source. Your local smith should be able to help you with making up your mind, and you should be able to "feel" the weapons at his place of business. Trying weapons out at a range (renting), is also a very good idea.
Second, weapons are like tattoos....after the first one, ya' keep goin' back for more!
Third, stop by your local gun shop, WalMart, etc., and pick up the hunting regs (free) for your state. The type of weapons authorized for use for the different types of game in your area will be listed in the regs.
FYI - in most states, you may use archery, black powder, shotgun, center fire rifle, and center fire pistol for taking deer. However, most would recommend using a scoped, larger-caliber (.44, .45, .454, .500), long-barreled (7-10 inch) revolver, or Contender chambered for a rifle round, to take animals as large as deer....especially at any distance over 50 yards. To effectively stop an animal like a deer, you're going to have to break shoulders, and penetrate lungs. I don't think a 9mm, at distance, will accomplish this in a tough-skinned animal. Quite to the contrary, a smaller-caliber rifle (.22-250, .223, .243, .256, 7mm, .270) will accomplish the task. This is due to the higher muzzle velocity of a rifle round, projected by a greater powder charge, and fired through a longer barrel.
Respect the game you hunt. Practice the philosophy of "one shot, one kill". Don't go out and wound an animal at 100 yards with an XD 9mm, only to have it run away and suffer for hours or days until it dies, and winds up an easy meal for the mountain lion.......
P.S. Welcome to world of guns!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Welcome
Like Cyberbeer said it would tuff to find one gun to fit all those requirements. Starting with a 22lr is agood idea to start with, you can learn all the basics without going broke buying ammo, and everyone should have at least one 22 just because their fun. As far as competive shooting, carry gun, and home defense, these all can be had in one package, and the XDs are a good choice, make your choice on what fits you the best. Depending on what you're going to hunt, small or big game again that might require two guns. You will need to check with your DNR to find out if you can even hunt with a pistol in your state and if there is a min. caliber that you can use to hunt with.
All said and done why would you want only one gun? Everyone should have lots of guns, thats why gunshops have layaways. Picked up a Benelli M1 Super 90 today, and started looking for the next gun.(XD sub compact, or DPMS .308. Maybe both?)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well,for deer hunting the 9mm or .40s&w are out!! If you have to have a semi-auto,the "do it all" caliber of choice is definately the 10mm? You can go with the "moderate" loads for plinking or defense,or you can go to the other end of the performance spectrum with the hotter Doubletap, or cor-bon loadings.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Welcome.

The XD is a combat pistol, made to take a fair amount of abuse and remain reliable in adverse conditions. That said, it will die fairly quickly if you neglect it. It is a fantastic "all around" gun that will meet your desires to target shoot and defend your home. Hunting with it is not a good idea unless you can stalk your game and get off a good 7 to 10 yard shot. I hear John Kerry does that.

There is a prevailing wisdom in some circles that the best "first" handgun should be a revolver because of their simplicity and shear reliability. They will accept your neglect and abuse and still go bang when you shoot them. My first handgun was a Ruger SP101 and quite frankly, I love that little pistol so much I just might be buried with it in my cold dead hands.

If you go with the XD you won't be disappointed. They are a great value for the money and you will find a very helpful group of folks on this board.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick replies guys.
I figured that those two options would be out for hunting deer, but just thought I'd ask. Trying to get an 'everything' gun probably isn't going to work.
The other gun I've considered is the GP100 .357mag with the 6" barrel.
The deer up north would be easily under 25 yards. It's not like I'm looking specifically for hunting either. I have a bow and a marlin 30-30 and an 870 Express super mag, so I don't really need something else for that, just wondering if it was doable.
So, excluding the hunting thing, what would you say? an XD9, XD40, or GP100?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well I have 4 or 5 revolvers, but they are all S&Ws, and I was never a big Ruger revolver fan, but thats just me, so as far as the XDs go I perfer any of the ones in 40S&W. The 40 ammo is a little more then the 9mm, but then I reload, so the cost isn't a big factor. I have two XDs now a 4" for carry , and a 5" Tactical for IPSC shooting, and will probably pick up a sud compact soon. If you do get one I'm sure you will like it wether it's a 40 or the 9mm.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
There aren't any "all around" hand guns that accomplish everything you want to. Same w/ cars.. They can build cars that never need serviced.. but why would they do that? then people don't need to buy parts from them. Anyway, to address your questions.
1. Size and calibre is up to you mostly. Longer the barrel, the more accurate (in theory. Longer sight radius = better accuracy) The calibre debate can be argued to no end. For a Personal Defense weapon, my scale is as follows, assuming the rounds being used are a high-quality JHP:

.357 > .45 > .40 > .38+P > 9mm

You can debate about how shot placement is the most important, how recoil of a .357 is too much for quick follow up shots, how .40 is blah blah blah. Basically, find what works for you. I shoot best w/ a .45ACP (1911), but do well enough to use .40 as a CCW. I don't think I'd feel 100% comfortable w/ a 9mm CCW round since I'm as acurate w/ .40 as 9mm. As aforementioned, find what works best for you. Generally, if you can shoot a higher calibre as well as a lower one, you're better off shooting the higher. Why shoot a lower one if you shoot the higher one just as well or better? right?

2. Deer hunting. I'm not 100% sure, but I think in Iowa for using handguns you must be either disabled or use durring a special late antlerless season. The firearm restrictions (this may not be fact visit the Iowa DNR webpage if you want to prove me wrong) are anything greater than .357 is allowed. As far as deer hunting goes, I wouldn't want to shoot a deer w/ anything less than a .357 anyway to be humane. I've seen deer keep running for close to 1/2 hour after being hit w/ several 1oz. slugs in vital areas.

3. Don't hunt deer w/ 9mm. As far as personal defense or sport/competition shooting goes, use what you're good wtih. Use what fits your needs best. It's like shoes I guess. Buy whatever is comfortable. If you've never shot a handgun before, I recomend going to a range or go shoot guns w/ a buddy to test the different types of guns, calibres, etc. It'll help you a ton. If I would have known how much better I shoot w/ a 1911 than my XD40, I would have never bought the XD. (BLASPHEMY! I know... it's true though. I could drive nails w/a 1911.)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I wouldn't hunt deer with a pistol in anything less than a .357 Magnum w/ a long barrel to boot. 44 Mag or .454 Casul would be even better. Even better is to just stick with a long gun. I don't have a problem with hunting but I think people at least owe it to the deer to give it a quick, clean death. Sometimes w. a pistol, thats hard to accomplish. None of the calibers that the XD offers is suitable for hunting IMHO. In this case, as far as autoloaders go, I would have to vouch for the Glock in 10mm(dunno the glock number) w. a strong hunting round in it. I bet that 10mm guy(masterof3g?) is cackling with glee.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. Yeah, I don't want to go around maming deer. That's kinda why I asked the question. I just thought it might be fun to use something different. Maybe I'll just have to save and buy two guns? lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts