Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and shot my new XD9 today at the range, putting about 200 rounds through it.

First, wondering if the grip safety can somehow be adjusted so it releases less than fully flush with the grip. A couple times I found the gun wasn't firing as I didn't have a really tight hold on the grip.

Second...you guys ever carry with less than the full 15 rounds in the clip? Even 5 less rounds really lightens things up.

Also are the Galco holsters any good? It's all the two local shops carry, and even then they just had one or two for the XD. I really gotta get rid of this holster that came with the package deal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
welcome, you made an excellent choice of firearm!!!!

Regarding the grip safety, it sounds as if it is working perfectly....one of it's goals is to disable the firearm if you don't have a good grip. With time, you'll get very comfortable wedging your hand against the safety. Also, practice holstering the gun with your hand OFF the grip safety, nice range/practice safety feature.

If you're carrying concealed, I would recommend a full clip at all times. Can't have too much ammo... run a test, switch up some mags, some with 10, some with 15 rounds, load randomly and put in your holster, you won't be able to tell the difference.

For holsters, I can only speak from personal experience. For outside-the-waistband I use a G-code paddle and have been very happy with the fit/function. Good competition holster as well. For inside the waistband I started with a Desantis stealth, and it didn't work well, not good retention, difficult reholstering, metal belt clip quickly lost it's shape. Now i'm using a Tucker Answer, and it is really nice. Pricey ($115), but worth every penny. I carry 8-10 hrs a day, inside suede is very comfortable, outside kydex gives good retention and easy reholstering.

Enjoy the gun, welcome to the family!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I personally carry full and topped off. I agree w/ what clee said about the grip safety; just something that you'll get used to in time. As far as holsters go, I also carry the Tucker Answer, and wouldn't use anything else. I tried the C-TAC, and while I'll be the first to say that is it a finely made product, it just wasn't for me.

In any case, good luck on your holster search.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I carry fully loaded toped of mag (15 round) in gun, 1 round in the chamber, and two extra mags filled to capacity (2x15 rounds) for a total of 46 rounds. If I ever figure out how to make those two converted 17 round beretta mags seat without overextending into the ejector/extractor assembly I will use them. You can never have enough ammo. Too much ammo is always too little.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
paper tiger said:
Also are the Galco holsters any good? It's all the two local shops carry, and even then they just had one or two for the XD. I really gotta get rid of this holster that came with the package deal.
Galco is pretty good, but pricey. If they ever come out with their "Summer Comfort" IWB for a 4" XD I will buy it. I used one for my 1911 and HK P2000 and they are excellent comfort wise and concealability wise. DeSantis makes a speed scabard that I am using for my XD right now and they are only $50. I like the DeSantis, just wish they also had an IWB for the XD.

·
Registered
381 Posts
paper tiger said:
I like the DeSantis, just wish they also had an IWB for the XD.
They do. I carry IWB in a DeSantis "Tuck This" It fits my XD9SC without any problem. And it comes with a spare mag pouch. Only about $30 too. I got mine from NY Iron Works. But I've seen them all over the place. Go to www.rigrate.com and you can specifically search under specific criteria.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
papertiger
A couple times I found the gun wasn't firing as I didn't have a really tight hold on the grip.
Your XD is "talking" to you. You're not properly griping your pistol. :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your XD is "talking" to you
Ha ha, it certainly was considering how many rounds I put through it today.

Thanks for all the advice on the grip, I'll just have to grab hold a little better.

Keep up the suggestions on holsters. The price on the Galco doesn't bother me, provided it's very comfortable and conceals well. People around here can get...sketchy with guns.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
paper tiger said:
I like the DeSantis, just wish they also had an IWB for the XD.
They do. I carry IWB in a DeSantis "Tuck This" It fits my XD9SC without any problem. And it comes with a spare mag pouch. Only about $30 too. I got mine from NY Iron Works. But I've seen them all over the place. Go to www.rigrate.com and you can specifically search under specific criteria.
I saw that model, not acceptable. Needs to be rigid or with reinforced lip opening so weapon can be reholstered one handed. I asked DeSantis about it for my P99 a while back. I recommend against this holster as would any of my instructors in defensive pisitol.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Go here.... http://xd-hs2000.com/grips.html .....go to the bottom of the page, there's a MagLoc Grip Plus. That looks to me like it would solve your problem of getting that grip safety to seat completely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts