Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone i know im new here but i have been lloking every where for a counter weight for my xd 45 tatical. i talk to a local gun smith and he said he can make me on for 499.99 damn the gun cost just as much as that but im installing the 460 rowland kit and anything that would help me keep me inline with the target would be great. and if you guy have any idea as in grips or anything im open for any ideas. thanks for your time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^thanks buddy. But let me come clean I have a xd 45 5in tactical with a 460 rowland kit installed and the barrel sitcks out 3/4 from the slide I'm trying to hide the barrel some how with out cutting the barrel so that's why I'm. Looking for a usp macth type of product.

Btw I'm typing this from my pda so sorry if I sound like a 1st grader

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
What you are showing is a compensator. These are normally screwed onto the end of an extended threaded barrel. Although some do add a bit of weight, the main function is to divert the gas (still expanding behind the bullet as it exits the end of the barrel) into a different direction than straight ahead. The exhaust jet of gas is directed against the direction of recoil to help reduce the recoil effect. The aluminum or steel comp extends out past the end of the barrel. The exhaust ports are located in the part of the comp that is out past the end of the barrel. This can add a bit of muzzle weight and lengthens the pistol. You need 1/2 to 3/4 inch of exposed barrel to be threaded and the slotted portion of the comp sticks out past that.
Isn't the barrel of your Rowland conversion ported? Normally the 460 uses an externally ported barrel. Meaning the gas exhaust ports are cut into the extended barrel out ahead of the muzzle. Porting has the same intent as the compensator. Reduce recoil by diverting and redirecting the gas. If the barrel is ported you do not want to block the ports with adding a compensator that would thread over this same area where the ports are located. The externally ported barrel normally extends about 3/4" past the end of the muzzle for area to cut the porting. (Internal porting required matching ports cut into both the barrel and slide, so the gas has an excape path). External porting does not add as much length to the pistol asothing has to be added out past the end of the barrel. Or did you go for all out max velocity and order a solid (non-ported) barrel?
The 460Rowland needs that extended barrel (out past the muzzle) to allow time for the powder to burn and accelerate the bullet for that extra velocity you are trying to get. Well designed ported or compensated barrel can reduce felt recoil by 15-20% in a pistol, with no appreciable change in velocity.

edit: I don't know what size guide rod/recoil spring is being used in the 460 conversion so not sure if a stock diameter tungsten rod would work or not. But that could add some forward weight if that is your intention. I'm sure it is stock or smaller so it would not be much problem turning down a stock diameter rod if necessary, except that you loose that just added weiight by the amount of any reduced diameter. weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts