Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a fairly useless thread, but I'm sure you'll all forgive me for a frivolous post about how happy I am with my new XDm .40 compact. It's my first handgun, or gun of any kind for that matter. Growing up, the only firearms I'd ever touched were .22 rifle and pistol and a black power rifle in Boy Scouts... About 15 years later, after moving to Kern County, CA (a much more firearm friendly place than most of CA for those of you unfamiliar) and starting a family I decided I wanted (1) a means of protecting my loved one and myself and (2) a new hobby.

I initially wanted a shotgun after shooting clays with my coworkers, but decided on a handgun after researching and realizing that I wanted the option of concealed carry eventually. I shot a LOT of friends' guns and rentals, from 1911s to pocket pistols. I liked the XD line for the price, what I heard about customer service, and the fact that I shot it as well or better than anything else. I didn't really care much about caliber, despite reading the extreme opinions online - I saw advantages and disadvantages to all three main calibers (though capacity is less of an issue in CA since we're limited to 10, and the recoil complaints about .40 didn't affect me much). Anyway, I ended up finding a good deal on a private party sale of the XDm, which was particularly intriguing for me since we can't buy those from a dealer in CA without paying extra to jump through hoops (SSE).

I've only had it for a couple weeks, and I've put maybe 200 rounds through it. But I couldn't be happier. Fits me better than the XD for some reason, and my accuracy, while probably abominable compared to most of you, is improving rapidly. I love shooting it. I actually enjoy when a shot seems to randomly go low and I know I'm flinching and need to fix that. Today a hot casing from the guy to my left went down the back of my shirt as I was about to fire, and I love that I didn't forget the 4 Rules and freak out. I love that the guy whose brass it was offered to switch lanes and let me shoot a magazine from his M&P to apologize (gun people are good people from my experience so far). I was intrigued to realize that WWB 180 grain sends brass all over the place, whereas Federal 165 grain seems to always land in a relatively small area. Most importantly, I am proud that if I needed to, I could protect my family.

I'm also excited about next steps... Not just additions to the collection (shotgun, AR15, long distance rifle, then who knows), but concealed carry permit, reloading, maybe some local competitions when I'm accurate enough not to embarrass myself too badly.

I feel like this post should have a question in it, but I've answered all of mine by lurking on here for a long time... So I suppose I'll ask: do you remember your first gun and what it meant to you? Any advice, whether generic or specific, for someone new to this world?

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Whenever you see a good deal on ammo, buy it. I acquired a lot of .380 ammo before I even owned one. Sometimes a good deal is an on the stop sale in a little bitty gun shop, it can be used for trades.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Look into reloading, and buy another gun. 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
you'll find that your firearm family will grow...... just a little here... then another little pick up... gets to be addicting!

Definitely agree with the earlier post on finding the ammo.... whenever you can get a good deal on it. I use several sources, but here are two that have been very good:

For Defensive Rounds:
SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated Ammo Sales, Stillwater OK (they get a lot of my business)

For Range Ammo:
Ammunition Online at Factory Direct Prices | Freedom Munitions | Handgun Ammo & Rifle Ammo

Enjoy your XDMc. I love both my XDM's!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Welcome from SoCal, nice purchase. I sold my xd awhile back and regreted it so, I bought it back 2 weeks ago and "couldn't be happier":)

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
Great read, and congrats on your purchase and future enjoyment! XDTalk is a great place to learn stuff about all kinds of firearms.

Agree with windsearcher on SGAmmo and Freedom Munitions, both great places to get ammo. Or follow Carl's advice and get into reloading. Are you collecting your brass?

And like Carl said "2 is 1 and 1 is none."

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I've been saving my brass, and have my "wish list" of reloading equipment all ready to go on Amazon... Just have to wait for the next bonus, haha. Luckily I have a friend who has reloaded quite a bit. I spent quite a while reading through a giant thread on Freedom Munitions, think I'll give them a shot. There's actually a gun show going on this weekend here, might try and sneak over tomorrow if I can.

Not sure I understand the "2 is 1 and 1 is none" thing... I gather that its encouraging me to get another, which is fine with me, haha.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
2 is 1 ....... Many of the "big names" talk about this being their rationale for what they carry every day, whether on the street or in a "hot zone"

Since, with Murphy's law, everything breaks, 2 guns with you means you really can only count on one... and one gun means it most likely WILL break and you have none..... so, carry a spare of everything if you can. (within reason anyway).

For Freedom Munitions.... I am at several thousand rounds of different calibers...... 9mm, .380, 5.56, .223, .40....... I had one box of reloaded .223 that didn't want to cooperate with my AR. That could have been because it was brand new and needed a break in... not sure..... but ever since then, I shoot all of their new and reman ammo and have had ZERO failures of any sort. Especially with some of their free shipping deals and other sales they are starting to have now, they really have some great prices on very good product.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just ordered 1000 remans, free shipping... Just under $.22/round. We'll see how long it lasts

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Buy a ton of SsE guns prior to Jan 1!! Otherwise you will never be able to get one. Then sell the ones you don't want after and make a fortune.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buy a ton of SsE guns prior to Jan 1!! Otherwise you will never be able to get one. Then sell the ones you don't want after and make a fortune.
Haha as much as I'd love some off-roster guns (as relevant to this forum, the XDS), my gun budget is probably blown for a while. Even if I were able to buy one a month until January, they'd be for me and not with the intent to resell. Pretty sure that would be illegal anyway (not that anyone would have a way of knowing whether you intended to resell them in 2015, unless one were to post about that on the internet). Besides, I'm willing to bet most of the people who would pay a California premium for off-roster handguns in 2015 are already purchasing the ones they want now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Besides, I'm willing to bet most of the people who would pay a California premium for off-roster handguns in 2015 are already purchasing the ones they want now.[/QUOTE]

You can bet we are. Good news today, federal judge ruled our 10 day wait unconstitutional😀

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Saw that... Can't imagine how the same reasoning in the opinion could possibly NOT apply to the 1 in 30 rule, but time will tell...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not a frivolous post I would much rather read a happy post instead of someone complaining about the XD's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts