Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
I picked up the new XDm 9mm earlier this month. It's great! It's the first hand gun of my own, as I've only had shot guns or rifles in the past. My question is, how to you get "19 + 1"? It seems to me that the mag. won't load unless you have the slide back. Once the mag is in, you release the slide and it chambers a round. Well, I guessed that you then just took the mag. out and put in another round to give you the "19 +1". That doesn't work though, because the mag doesn't want to go back in unless you have the slide back, which just starts the process all over again. Am I missing something? I kinda feel retarded for having to ask this.
thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
The mag will load without the slide being back. It is probably just stiff from being new. Give the mag a good push. It should loosen up and be easier the more use it gets.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Just wanted to add.........Welcome to the forums!

Also wanted to add...... Try putting ten rounds or so in the mag and then loading it into the gun. It should be easier because there will be less pressure on the mag spring. So, like I said. It should loosen up after awhile. It is just new is all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mag will load without the slide being back. It is probably just stiff from being new. Give the mag a good push. It should loosen up and be easier the more use it gets.

Are you sure??? I really was pushing on it. I know the manual said "don't force it". Just don't want to break my new favorite addition to the collection. Besides, I've already found another to spend money on. :roll:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
That is interesting. The mag should go in with the slide forward. Can you put an empty mag in with the slide forward?

It has to be able to go in with the slide forward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to add.........Welcome to the forums!

Also wanted to add...... Try putting ten rounds or so in the mag and then loading it into the gun. It should be easier because there will be less pressure on the mag spring. So, like I said. It should loosen up after awhile. It is just new is all.
Thanks for the welcome. Ok, so I took your advice. It does work, just not with a full mag. Cool. I'm happy I was right in the way I thought it should work. Plus, I was sorta bummed when I thought I had to pull back the slide to load the mag. That seemed a little weird.
thanks!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got it to work with all 19. I just thought I should ask before I "forced" it in. It just didn't feel right. Figured I'd get a quick answer on here, which I did

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Your welcome. I want the XDM 9mm in the worst way. Just spent all my "Mad Money" on other weapons/ammo/magazines since before the election and after the election. Hope to have the cash saved up for an XDM 9mm by the end of the year.

P.S. Don't forget to send away for the 2 free mags from Springfield.

Springfield Armory Gear Up Promo Site

·
Registered
177 Posts
it will work with a full mag, just have to give it a good firm slap into the magwell,
I am reminded of a quote I read on this forum a while back that went something like this....."this is not a toy gun, it is a combat pistol assembeled from spare croatian tank parts"....something like that, made me laugh my ass off.:D

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I am reminded of a quote I read on this forum a while back that went something like this....."this is not a toy gun, it is a combat pistol assembeled from spare croatian tank parts"....something like that, made me laugh my ass off.:D
I saw that quote also. Also made me laugh. :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool! :)

Now get out there and let us know how it shoots!!!
I put 150 rounds through it Monday. All but one round of the first mag.was center mass! I'm putting all the credit towards the gun. :-D That, and being a child of the eighties, I spent a lot of time playing "Duck Hunt". Seriously, I shouldn't have shot as well as I was that day. Either way, I'm glad nobody was around me at the range because I was grinning like complete jack ass!
Another question has come up though. I know I've seen this posted before, and now I know what the guy was talking about. If I just put the mag. fully loaded in, but don't chamber a round, it is REALLY hard to drop the mag out. I have to use both hands and smash the release button down. However, if I chamber a round, so that there is 18 left in the mag, if I hit the release button it drops just fine. But, if the mag is full and I don't chamber a round, it releases just fine if I lock the slide back. I'd assume it has something to do with the spring tension because of the high cap. Do you think it gets better with time? In the end, it doesn't really matter. I just thought it was weird.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
OK. The mag release question. You are correct in the fact that it is because of the magazine spring tension. You know how much tension is put on the mag spring when fully loaded with 19 rounds. You are now near the maximum tension/compression. When the fully loaded magazine is inserted in the weapon, you compress the spring even more. That is because the top round in the magazine (along with all the other rounds) are now being pressed down into the magazine even further by the bottom of the slide that strips out the next round . When the gun is fired and the slide goes back to eject the round, the top round in the magazine is now being forced up so that the slide can strip that round out of the magazine and into the chamber. With each shot after that the spring is under less tension/compression. When you put the full magazine in with the slide being locked back, you don't have the additional tension/compression on the spring from the top of the slide and that is why it drops easier.

So......yes it is harder to release the magazine when full. A full magazine also puts more pressure on the magazine release because of the compression of the spring. It may be easier to release after the magazine is broken in. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. If you are in a SHTF situation with a horde of Zombies, you do not want to bump the magazine release and drop the mag when full. ;) It should drop easily once there are less rounds in the magazine. It may even be that it will not drop free even when empty. It should but it may not. Once it is broken in it shouldn't be a problem.

But then again.......... I could be wrong.........I usually am. :( :lol:

·
Registered
463 Posts
The springs on my XDm .40 magazines are already starting to loosen up. When I have a full mag in my mighty XDm I will push up on the bottom of the magazine to relieve some of the pressure on the magazine release button so it does not take the "two men and a small boy" :-D someone on this forum has to use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts