Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone could give me an idea what they spend per round (or per 50 or 100 rounds), in reloading costs for .40 and .45 for range use. I'm not interested in the cost of the press and equipment, just the cost per round of reloaded ammo. I'm trying to justify the urge to buy a press and start reloading, but I want to know price wise, what I'm getting into. Plus it'll help appease the wife ;).

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Now I know you do not need it for the wife's information but the cost of the press would be needed since it will take a while to get you expenses back, right??

·
Registered
862 Posts
I am still at approx 55% savings on the .45.... maybe a little more now that store bought ammo prices have risen again by a bunch...my projectiles have gone up $5/500 and primers have gone up $5/1,000.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Buy your components in bulk, assuming you already have brass saved, the cost is appr. 1/2 of cheap WWWB or Wolf. The upside to that is you'll be shooting cleaner more accurate ammo too.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buy your components in bulk, assuming you already have brass saved, the cost is appr. 1/2 of cheap WWWB or Wolf. The upside to that is you'll be shooting cleaner more accurate ammo too.:mrgreen:
Ah, that's the type of info I'm looking for.

I already have about 200 brass cartridges (in .40) saved, and probably another 200 before I get around to buying the reloading equipment. I just started saving the .45 as we haven't actually bought a .45 caliber weapon yet.... but the wife wants one :).

·
Banned
564 Posts
what you save is actually a LOT more if you are willing to shoot lead.... Now, lead bullets won't lead your barrel if you shoot them below 900fps...

So, If you go somewhere like this and get lead, for 45 acp you can get lead for 60.00/1000 and, you can get primers for less than 30.00/1000 and powder for about 16.00/pound ( for bullseye ) retail.

Now....

lead will be 60.00/1000 = .06 / round.
primers ( retail ) will be: 30.00/1000 = .03 / round.

that's .09/round ( before powder )

So, there's 7000gr/pound and it takes about 4.00gr/round to reload bullseys 200gr lead bullets I quoted above in the lead quote.... so, let's put that together.

.09/round plus....

7000/4.0 = 1750

So, you can reload 1750 rounds with one pound of powder and, 16.00/1750 = .009 / round.

So for about .099/round you can reload to your hearts content if you're willing to shoot target lead and you don't need brass.

Here's some links to brass and lead: ( also, if you don't reload really hot loads, you can reload the same piece of brass mabye 30 times 0

http://www.keadbullets.com/

Reloading Supplies - Brass Casings

That puts your 45 auto costs at under 5.00/box.

Now, I'm not discounting what others have posted above me BUT, projectiles are the MOST expensive part. Find and inexpensive lead bullet you can shoot and shoot it BELOW 900 fps for practice if you like to shoot a lot. You can always load the more expensive stuff too but, if you're just trying to get better, shoot lead.

Hell, .22 rimfire costs over 2.00/box now..... if you reload you can shoot your .45 auto for 5.00/box if you're willing to buy by 1000/pc and shoot lead.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you are willing you can cast your own for cheaper.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
If you are willing you can cast your own for cheaper.
Unless you have access to cheap or free metal (wheel wts., etc.) it's not worth casting your own. If you buy alloy @ $1/#, that's about $35/1000 + your time (200gr/45). I can have high quality cast bullets delivered to my door for $65 ready to load.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts