Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know the best way to remove comoline from an old rifle? I've gotta find some way to clean my new carbine...

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
anybody know the best way to remove comoline from an old rifle? I've gotta find some way to clean my new carbine...
Heat. Somewhere between 120 degrees and 170 degrees. 180 is flashpoint for cosmo. Some guys use their ovens, a black bag in the sun, some guys even use boiling water. If you use water don't flush the waste down the drain. The cosmo will settle in your pipes and cause you some problems.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I take off all my metal parts and soak them in a big pan of kerosene and lay it in the sun for al day . This will dissolve and loosen the cosomoline . For the wood parts , I put them in a trash bag and lay them on the dashboard of my truck/car and let the heat slowly sweat out the cosmoline .

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I forgot to ask you what kind of rifle you got ?

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Brake cleaner. After using the Black Bag Method, use it to blast all the goo out of the nooks and crannies.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
The fastest ,easiest method I know of is an automotive parts cleaner tank.The solvent in most of these is non-flamable, and will disolve the cosmoline better than kerosene and a lot cheaper.If you don't know someone with one of these things you could buy a gallon of the concentrate and use a tub of some kind to degrease it.The parts tanks are less than a $100 at Harbor Freight and I use mine for a lot of formerly messy chores.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used acetone and it seemed to work pretty well on a Mosin Nagant that I bought a few years ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Brake Cleaner, My Yugo SKS was drenched in Cosmo, a can and a half of brake cleaner later on a hot Texas day out on the front porch cleaned it all off without a hitch.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the rifle is an M1 carbine from CMP...

I saw on box o truth that he used mineral spirits/paint thinner...I think I'll try the brake degreaser or the mineral spirits method and see how that works...

any idea on how to refinish the stock? (maybe I should start another thread)

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I take off all my metal parts and soak them in a big pan of kerosene and lay it in the sun for al day . This will dissolve and loosen the cosomoline . For the wood parts , I put them in a trash bag and lay them on the dashboard of my truck/car and let the heat slowly sweat out the cosmoline .

Same here

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
As I recall cosmo is a combination of wax and grease. I got a batch of AK mags in the stuff, I just soaked them in gasoline for a day then hosed them off with brake cleaner and sprayed the insides and outsides with CLP. Stored about half of them the rest run fine.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
In warmer weather I put a black trashbag around it and set the rifle on the dash of my truck, windows up. I put some paper towels under it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mineral spirits.. It's cheap, available at any hardware store, safer than gasoline/kerosene and I just can't make myself put a gun in the oven.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil)
Tung oil works well too.

I had a Yugo 59/66 SKS that a chisled out of a block of cosmolene. Once I got it all apart, I put all of the metal parts in a wallpaper tray and covered them with mineral spirits and let them soak.

I had built a cosmo oven from the plans on surplusrifle.com, and while the stock was baking I'd take the metal parts one by one and just scrub them with an old toothbrush. By the time I got done with all of them and gave everything a nice wipedown with Eezox and let them dry, the stock was done.

I then over a couple of days gave the stock a couple of coats of Tung oil and it turned out beautifully.

It was a time consuming project, but the results were worth it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil)
would I be able to get this or the tung oil at a hardware store or is it something I should order off of brownells or midwayusa ??

another question, do I have to sand the stock before after the cosmoline removal and before the BLO application? I think I'd rather not sand it...don't want to mess it up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would soak the stock in mineral spirits in a sealed container for a few days before you do anything. A lot of small dings can swell out of the stock just by doing this, as well as freeing up the cosmo. Sand as an absolute last resort, some cartouches are very faint and can be lost real easily even with the lightest of sanding, I'd rather live with some battle scars then ruin the markings.
TOJAZ

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sounds like a good idea...any danger of warping the stock if I soak it in mineral spirits for that long?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts