Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local store has 400 round cans of 7.62x54 for $100, but it's corrosive. Does anyone use corrosive ammo on a regular basis? What is required to clean it to neutralize the corrosive components, and how soon after shooting do you have to clean the gun to avoid any ill effect? For instance would I be ok shooting this ammo then cleaning the gun an hour or two later? It's a good deal for the ammo I just dont want to mess up my gun.

thanks

Nate

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
All x54 ammo is corrosive as far as i know. Just clean it with an amonia solution like mentioned. I have read people using windex to clean their rifles then following up with break free or any other clp.

That price is kind of high if you ask me. Check AIM Surplus, they have a decent selection and great prices.

aimsurplus.com

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
Ammonia works, as does hot, soapy water. Follow up with your normal cleaning regimen.

I've fired plenty of the corrosive stuff; as long as you clean the same day, you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Bring Windex with ammonia. Spray it down the barrel and chamber area run a patch down the barrel and repeat. Go Home to clean it as your would any other rifle. The ammonia neutralizes the corrosive salts.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Why won't Hopps #9 work in place of ammonia?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
All x54 ammo is corrosive as far as i know.
As far as surplus goes, at least most of it is. You are able to find new stuff that's not corrosive, but it's about 5 times more expensive

Why won't Hopps #9 work in place of ammonia?
My understanding is the way the salts from the primers lay on the steel, you can't just brush them out or clean them out. At least as far as oil (don't know what the specifics of hoppes), the salts will lay underneath the oil and can still attack the steel and cause corrosion. The ammonia/water cleans (and I assume neutralizes) the salts.

Another answer can be: I don't know why hoppes won't work, but if it did, I'm sure everyone else would just use that like normal instead of cleaning with windex/water/ammonia first.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
You guys and the search feature are wonderful ... I just picked up a 1925 Mosin and figured I'd ask if I didn't find an answer about 54R corrosion.

that left handed guy ... Yea, that price is high.
I just picked up 880 rounds ... 7.62x54R Bulgarian Light Ball FMJ ammo, steel case, 440 rd tins. check shipping ... It might be cheaper than a local purchase.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Wolf makes x54R, even brass cased. Plenty of reasonably cheap non corrosive stuff out there.

As for cleaning, I ran 100 rounds of corrosive through an AK and never cleaned it after. Sold it a few months later and still looked like when I bought it. Not recommending that, but I don't think it's that imperative to clean thoroughly after shooting corrosive\.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have been shooting milsurp corr 7.62x54R for years.
1.yes windex does work.at patch thru the bore at the range with a hot barrel isn't a bad idea.
2.if your cheap like me hot soap water works as good as anything:D.the ammonia does nothing about the salts used in the primers but it is the water flushes the stuff out.
3.dry the barrel and bolt then just do a reg cleaning with hoppes/breakfree ect.

no worries and your bore will be bright clean and ready for the next trip to the range.
pete

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Allow me to address some points:

1) Shooting corrosively primed ammo isn't like pouring concentrated acid down your barrel. You just need to clean it properly when you get home.

2) Windex is not a magical cleaner. It is the water in the windex that does the trick. Washing out the barrel with hot soapy water will do the same thing.
Swabbing the bore at the range? Works just the same with plain ol' water.

As for cleaning, I ran 100 rounds of corrosive through an AK and never cleaned it after. Sold it a few months later and still looked like when I bought it. Not recommending that, but I don't think it's that imperative to clean thoroughly after shooting corrosive\.
If you live in an area with low humidity, you can afford to wait before cleaning.

If you live in an area with high humidity, you may see rust forming before you get home.

·
Registered
566 Posts
+ 1

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I went and shot 100 rounds of this stuff today and it works great. When I got home I poured some water down the barrel and then cleaned it with Hoppes #9 and my bore snake, so I should be good. Later today while I was at the gun store I looked at a bottle of Hoppes and it says it breaks down corrosive primer components.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts