Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HS Gen2 purchased new in 2001 that has tended to rust in two small spots on the slide. Suspect of the "Bruniral" finish, I took it to a client of mine for SEM microscopy and it turned out to be fine-crystal phosphate. That explains why it rusts if not oiled, and why it wears comparatively faster that other finishes. The slide finish is essentially the same as "parkerizing." Listening to the HS sales hype, I thought the "Buniral" finish to be some kind of kryptonite-like wonder finish. Bah! Plain old phos.

Unoiled phosphate will rust in less then 24 hrs in ASTM B-117 salt fog. Oil it, and you might get 72 to 96 hours. But it takes A LOT of oil, multiple applications, because the phos crystals have so much surface area and interstitial space between adjacent crystals that it literally "drinks" oil the first few applications, becoming "dry" again almost overnight.

Three years ago a client gave me 3/4 of a gallon of Corrosion-X and I'm a believer. My first "test" was to wipe down the white-corroded aluminum block, head, and valve cam cover on my wife's 2000 Toyota. It removed the white corrosion which has not returned in three years. Recalling the HS slide, I repeatedly applied Corrosion-X to the slide until it remained "wet" for several days. Those two chronic rust spots have yet to return since three years.

Noah

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed:

Good to see you again, and be back here.

You've already found and posted some links, I see.

I went so far as to coat some plain 16d nails with Corrosion-X and asked my client to put them in the salt fog chamber. Untreated nails were rusty in four to six hours, whereas it took the treated nails over two weeks to attain the same level of corrosion as untreated nails had in six hours. By comparison, blued steel rusts in salt fog in 24 hrs.

Best,

Noah

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've been using CorrosionX for several months now. My XD still rusts, but it seems to work as well or better than anything else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Which CorrosionX are you guys using? I have a few cans of the HD (green can) I use for my boat mainly. It leaves a thick film if you spray it and leave it, or you can wipe it clean

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've been using Corrosion-X for firearms as my CLP for a couple of years it works as advertised and I'm happy :D with it. But, for real rust protection - - - there is a much better product 8) - - - it's been around forever - - - RIG. RIG stands for Rust Inhibiting Grease buy some and kiss your rust problems good bye!

·
Registered
15 Posts
MoJo said:
there is a much better product 8) - - - it's been around forever - - - RIG. RIG stands for Rust Inhibiting Grease buy some and kiss your rust problems good bye!
Totally agree. I use RIG on all auto rails. So far, no rust problems elsewhere with the XD but I wipe it down with TriFlow everywhere else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts