Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today has been a very good day! It's Saturday, and I decided that I would go out shooting.. since I am a single dad, and did not have any day-care available to me... I convinced Corina (my little sunshine) to go shooting with me.

Now Corina has been very leary of guns. She has bought all the crud that she has been sold by the public school system, Nickelodian, et al.... so I was kind of surprised when she asked me if it would be ok if she shot a couple of rounds.

Of course I said O.K.! She had her safety glasses on, ear protection, and of course a ball cap. The gun I let her shoot at first was the little barreta .22lr. That little thing fit perfectly in her hand. I meant to tell her to squeeze one round off at a time and work on shot placement.. but she just started firing away. (note, I had my hands on hers the entire time.. I was trying to help her to maintain a good grip. I think that's important.) The clip holds seven rounds, and she shot them off quickly. I helped her with her grip, but I did not touch her trigger finger. I explained to her not to put her finger on the trigger until she is ready to fire... she was ready to fire!

No problemo'

Now the grip I was showing her to use was one that was explained here on this forum. I don't know if it is the best grip in the world, but it is one that I have adopted when using two hands. Basically, It involves wrapping my/her right lower three fingers (pinky, ring, middle) around the grip, extending the index finger along the barrel (no touchy the trigger until ready...) and the thumb along the groove... The left hand wraps the right, (pinky, ring, index) all in groove with the right hand, and the index finger extends out so that my/our two "trigger" fingers touch...

This worked well for her using the little .22. However, she decided she wanted to shoot the XD.

Well.. that is a much bigger gun! So we altered the grip a bit, so that her little shoulders could support the weight. I had her put her left hand under the mag, for support.. which I think she took pretty well. Her right hand was pretty much the same, index finger extended so that no touchy trigger until ready to shoot rule would not be broken. This worked well for her. I think.

I did not have the good sense to bring my camera with me, because I did not think Corina was going to have any desire to shoot the pistol... tomorrow however, I promised to take her shooting again. I will have the camera ready! It kind of sucks that I don't have a record of her very first shots.. but I will have some to post in the morning.

I am going to try and get good pictures of her grip, with both the .22 and the XD, I hope you guys wont mind looking at them, and making sure that my advice to her is good.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She will be ten years old January 11th.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL! Hell... in a couple of years I will have my own machine gun, and I will be able to tell her how it works!

Actually, my next purchase is going to be a rifle. I want a good one. I would like it if Corina got into shooting.. they have scholorships you know... Hell, I have no idea how I am going to pay for her college education.. I hope she get's to be a good shot.. maybe she can go to school that way!

Raymond

·
Registered
242 Posts
Captain Ray, congrats on getting your daughter to the range.

Yes, I've been looking at those scholarships, too! My eldest is almost 16 and loves to shoot.

Might I suggest getting your daughter into IDPA? My eldest and also our 12 yr old daughter both shoot IDPA and they really love it. It's a lot more fun than just shooting at paper targets or cans full of water.

Most local clubs are thrilled to have kids come out and shoot, even if they're under the official 12 yr old limit. Also, they don't mind if they shoot 22s. It is all unofficial until they hit 12 and then they have to shoot at least 9mm. The only thing is that if they shoot unofficially they cannot participate in official sanctioned matches like state or regional level championships. But for the majority of matches the kids are welcomed.

As an editorial comment, I have had my eyes opened to a magical quality of the 2nd Amendment with my kids. It completely opens their eyes to the idea of individual liberty, and it gets them to think about their civil rights and they look at things very differently. When current events are discussed in school they think about them differently and ask a lot of good questions. For example, my 16 yr old is on the debate team. Guns have come up a couple of times in reference to legal concealed carry in schools and at the university (two high profile public debates in Utah). My daughter put together very cogent arguments for the lawful carrying of concealed weapons. Hers were arguments based on facts and on deep philosophical ideas, whereas the other kids on both sides of the issue had pretty flimsy ideas. This kid is educating a lot of others on some basic issues such as self reliance, personal responsibility, and individual liberties.

My daughter has been the inspiration for several adult women to become involved in learning to shoot. She's also inspired several teenage boys to become interested in guns, too...

IOW, the 2nd Amendment makes us all better citizens. Our kids learn a lot about good citizenship when they become active in shooting sports.

·
Registered
380 Posts
thats great! mt daughters 2 1/2 i cant wait!

pics!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fly-Sig.. WOW! Lot's to think about in that post! I am just glad Corina is over the fear=guns crud that her teachers have been forcing on her. We have had lot's of talks on the subject, and she now seems to understand that it is just a machine.. like a drill, or a hair dryer.. any thing can be dangerous if not used properly.

cekxd40.. 2 1/2!? Man I loved those days! My little one was so pretty at that age.. That was about when she stopped needing the little toddler underpants. Praise the lord!!! Those toddler underpants about bankrupted me! LOL

Any way.. onto today's adventure!

The first thing that Corina found out is that there can be some problems...

You have to load your own magazine! Unfortunately this caused a broken fingernail... sorry about that babe, but that's the price of doing business! In the second part of that picture, Corina had an FTE... she did really well, she followed my directions perfectly. She stopped, and stayed still until I could put the camera down, and clear the chamber.

Next is a couple of pictures which I hope you guys will look closely at.

I prefer the two index fingers touching technique that was posted in another thread.. but her hands are just to small. She preferred cupping her left hand under the magazine. I think this is a good grip, but if it can be improved, I will pass onto her any advice you may have.

Here she is shooting the "big" gun! She is obviously a little bit afraid of the XD9! The first two shots she was pretty aprehensive... I think largely because it so noisy.. she settled down though and seemed more comfortable toward the end.

Here is what we accomplished. On the left are my shots from about 25'... low and left! grrr!!! on the right is a composite of Corina and I from the same distance.. the box in the middle was what we taped the targets onto... it's dead! LOL

and finally,

Picking up brass! We are not just right wing zealots expressing our 2nd amendment rights, we are also stewards of our environment... Brass has no productive purpose among this ecosystem, so we will pick it all up and dispose of it responsibly.

Raymond[/img]

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh, heck yeah! She is wearing ear plugs.. it's not hard to tell either. I might be foolish enough to go without hearing/eye protection myself.. but I wouldn't even think about not taking the appropriate precautions for my sunshine... Look closer, you will see that she has ear protection... if there are other safety issues you see, then please point them out. Nothing is more important to me than keeping my sunshine safe...

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MrTuffPaws said:
Ah, how fricking cute is that?

Congrats. Now you won't have to shoot her boy firends for her.
LOL... She's not allowed to have boyfriends.. at least until she is 36! That may be a bit young.. better make that 38!

Raymond

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Captain Ray said:
MrTuffPaws said:
Ah, how fricking cute is that?

Congrats. Now you won't have to shoot her boy firends for her.
LOL... She's not allowed to have boyfriends.. at least until she is 36! That may be a bit young.. better make that 38!

Raymond
Oh Ray! Has she got some things to teach you... They always do.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LMBO! Well.. as I sit here, cleaning my guns, I'm thinking "nope... no boyfriends..."

What would she want a boyfriend for anyway?! I am a guy, and trust me, guy's are "icky!"

Raymond

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Captain Ray said:
LMBO! Well.. as I sit here, cleaning my guns, I'm thinking "nope... no boyfriends..."

What would she want a boyfriend for anyway?! I am a guy, and trust me, guy's are "icky!"

Raymond
LOL...enjoy it while it lasts, Ray. In five more years (or less) she will be giving you all the orders, know 50 times more than you could ever know, and own every bathroom in your house. You may have to ask permission to take a leak outside. Hell in just two years, she'll be more mature than you. (just like everybody else :D )

Enjoy these years next few years (could only be months). You have very little time left of even fooling yourself into believing that you are in charge. The power shift is swift and brutal!!! Teenage girls don't even bother taking names. They just kick ass and move on!

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thats Great! HMMMMM...I'm thinking a .22 pistol at 5yrs old...nah maybe one oh those walther blowback pellet pistols...Dang that looks like fun...Congratulations Proud Papa!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks great.........glad to see any and everyone getting younger ( especially females, whom it can benefit greatly) involved in shooting and shooting sports. Only recommendation I can make is re: grip. The 'tea cup" method is usually what people start out with, but in reality, it doesn't provide nearly the support or control that a good, tight, two handed grip on the pistol will..... I tried to find a couple of links, which I am not having luck with right this second.......but that is the only thing I can see that you can work with her on..... Kudos for getting her out and getting her started........ plus will give you a new 'reason' to buy a gun now and then. :D :D

MiKeMaN
Edited to add this link:
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/grip_0925/

Not exactly what I was looking for, but gives a starting point.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts