Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen pics of the all copper Corbon bullet, are all Corbon bullets 100% copper or are the jacketed?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
jetsiphon said:
I've seen pics of the all copper Corbon bullet, are all Corbon bullets 100% copper or are the jacketed?
No, just the ones that are indicated as copper (I think they're calling them DPX or something?) are copper. The rest are normal...lead, lead jacketed, etc...

brad cook

·
Registered
10,955 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that's me not knowing where to look. Those are a bit spendy. Do the normal Corbon rounds have a problem with the jacket delaminating from the core?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
The DPX rounds are the only Cor-Bon rounds that I'd personally consider for loading in my defensive pistol. Those copper bullets had very good performance when Taurus was loading them and I believe the Magtechs do as well.

brad cook

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
jetsiphon said:
Yep, that's me not knowing where to look. Those are a bit spendy. Do the normal Corbon rounds have a problem with the jacket delaminating from the core?
Some of the jacketed Cor-Bons have a reputation for fragmentation and jacket separation, most notably their lightweight +P+ 9mm loads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
These are not "COR-BON" bullets. Cor-bon is using the Barnes-X pistol bullet to make loadings for 9mm, 357, 40, 44, and 45 (hence the name of the round dpX ... it's short for deep penetrating X or something like that). The X bullet has proven itself as reliable in all sorts of hunting applications, and this is one of the best designs for a bullet I've seen. I have some of them, and they run around 20$ (typical for good +p defensive ammo). According to all the testing done on them, they are excellent rounds for carry and all defensive needs. I hope I don't have to use them, as they are a guaranteed lethal blow (six perfect petals).

I little aside here, I've pulled some of these from targets where I could recover the bullets. The bullet I have recoved, looks exactly what is pictured in the Barnes "promotional" material. I can't say the same for most of the "jacketed lead" bullets I've pulled out. They will perform "as advertised".

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
tomfturner said:
I hope I don't have to use them, as they are a guaranteed lethal blow (six perfect petals).
I agree with most of what you said but that is just silly. There is no such thing as a "guaranteed lethal blow." Especially in a handgun.

brad cook

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
I carry the Cor-Bon DPX .40S&W in mine. I chose them because the have good penetration, no jacket to seperate, and even expansion.

I first saw them at the local gun shop. Apparently someone did a demo on some ballistic gel in the range they have. They got 18" of penetration and all the rounds were expanded into a perfect 6 petals. Kinda pretty to look at. Probably really bad to get shot with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts