Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Survival Straps

They have wristbands, lanyards, and belts that adjust like a Wilderness tactical.

I really need to practice this stuff more. The belt idea carries more than 170' of paracord.

I like the adjustable shackles you can get them with.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My buddy just got a watch band made out of paracord from them. It is very, very well made. In fact, I'll probably be picking one up too.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
that's a cool site, thanks. i'm new to guns but in the short time i've owned i've become really aware of how unprepared i am if SHTF. i have small kids so i can't really bug out unless i bug out to thailand where my boss lives and i could stay.

since then i've been educating myself on being prepared and planning for having to bug in since i have the family and moving around might be too hard/risky. really makes me wish i had a basement...

·
Registered
298 Posts
check out instructables.com they show you how to make tons of stuff from paracord. in my opinion the survival straps stuff is way overpriced. there are some sites where you can pick up different buckles and supplies.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
My wife actually hand makes these as well, she has lanyards, gun slings, dog leashes, bracelets etc and she sells them at gun shows. (they are not insane $30/$40 prices either) Here is a pic of one she made for my knife:

If any of you might be interested in something, let me know and i'll hook you up

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
that's a neat idea for the knife. my cord should come id today so i'll start practicing. i might have to throw something on my knife.

i ordered a flint/stone military grade fire starter and it came in yesterday. it was on a lanyard and my two year old saw it and thought it was keys. he had to have it and kept running around trying to open doors with the striker. i was planning on buying him some keys and getting a ring for him so he can be like daddy... now i'll make him a paracord ring! he'll be ready too!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
that's a neat idea for the knife. my cord should come id today so i'll start practicing. i might have to throw something on my knife.

i ordered a flint/stone military grade fire starter and it came in yesterday. it was on a lanyard and my two year old saw it and thought it was keys. he had to have it and kept running around trying to open doors with the striker. i was planning on buying him some keys and getting a ring for him so he can be like daddy... now i'll make him a paracord ring! he'll be ready too!
Harbor frieght has magnizium fire starters for like $2.00 right now. I picked one up and through it in my hunting pack.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Harbor frieght has magnizium fire starters for like $2.00 right now. I picked one up and through it in my hunting pack.

Im going today to pick up a couple of these

As far as the paracord......
I just spent an hour and a half looking at where to buy this stuff, how to make bracelets/lanyards/gun slings and WOW, i know how i will be spending my insomnia time later!!!

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im going today to pick up a couple of these

As far as the paracord......
I just spent an hour and a half looking at where to buy this stuff, how to make bracelets/lanyards/gun slings and WOW, i know how i will be spending my insomnia time later!!!
I have good experiences buying my paracord online through Supply Captain (http://www.supplycaptain.com/). Many colors and ratings with fair pricing for the good stuff.

I got this cord from them. The knots are a Turks Head that transitions into a Chinese Staircase. It is finished with a reversed Turks Head so that when you tighten it down it doesn't loosen the spiral wrapping.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's some I made myself. Got the paracord from my local Army/Navy store and got the 3/8"clips at Creative Designworks (Dog Collar Buckles, Snap Hooks, Metal D Rings, Nylon Webbing and Kits for Collars). Just ordered more clips (went thru 25 in the first day) and looking to get some more colors for school/fundraising type functions. Only did the "double cobra weave" - anyone know of different patterns or how to use 2 different colors - thanks in advanced !

·
Registered
868 Posts
I saw Survival Straps bracelets for like $22 or $24 each. They're a great idea, but I thought that was pretty pricey. I watched a few YouTube videos and learned how to tie the Cobra knot and made this is about 10 minutes.

I like it better because there is no hardware. The "clasp" is a paracord loop around a paracord knot. There's 8+ feet of rope in that bracelet. I just throw it in my bugout bag.

I have some different color paracord to order so I can make the multi-colored straps.

·
Registered
868 Posts
anyone know of different patterns or how to use 2 different colors
Take two different color lengths half the normal length (if you usually use 8' for a bracelet, use two 4' lengths). Heat up the ends with a candle until they melt, then join them together.

In a SHTF situation, you have two 4' ropes instead of one 8', but you could always tie a knot to join them. I wouldn't trust the melt join alone, but it will allow you to have a multi-colored bracelet.

Using two colors makes it easier to keep track of which one is looped and which one is tied (because the same color is always looped and the opposite color is always tied).

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you guys want to try it yourself, here's the videos I found to be best:

This kid makes them with the clasp (not a fan), but he does a good job of showing how to tie the cobra weave. He doesn't do a good job of explaining how to end it, though.

This one does a good job too, and he uses the loop/knot closure. Also shows you how to join two ends to make a two-colored bracelet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts