Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying a handgun in the next week or so. I have narrowed it down to the XD9SC Vs. Glock 19.. I know Glock is probably a bad word on this site but It shoots like a dream (the XD9 does too..) I am having a hard time picking, here is what I have so far:

XD9
(good)
Cheaper
lighter/smaller
more safteys

(bad)
lack of holsters
Rusting problem

Glock
(good)
fits my had a bit better
I shoot it more accurate, not by far though
Rock hard finish

(bad)
$$$$$
cant think of nothing else?? I think thats why I cant decide?!?!

Thanks

Jeremy

·
Registered
347 Posts
As far as lack of holsters, there are more holsters out now for the XD. I think Pistol-gear.com and XD-HS2000.com both have some, so might want to check them out. Also as far as the rusting issue goes, some folks get it, some folks don't. The easiest preventative measure I've seen is Blue Wonder's Armadillo. Both of the folks listed above carry it, and it protects the XD from rust. The other thing I really like about the XD's is the grip safety. It doesn't get in the way (not noticeable at all) and blocks the sear itself, locking it in place, thus avoiding an AD in that respect. When it comes down to it though, its a matter of what's more comfortable in your hand. Personally I like the XD , the way the grip is canted, etc.

Matthew

·
Registered
71 Posts
Plenty of people enjoy their Glock 19s! I suppose the only major difference I can see that you have not noted, is that lead bullets and reloads are proscribed from use in the Glock. However, factory 9 mm jacketed is so inexpensive that this issue is essentially moot, unless you really like to handload these little buggers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You could get an XD with a stainless slide to help combat rust. Even the stainless does rust it's easily fixed.

I was also debating G19 vs XD9 but I ended up with an XD40 stainless.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the rust problem.. All guns can rust, even glocks. My friend carried his glock for less than 6 months and developed several rust problems on his (granted he didn't take care of it as well as he could have.) SA does offer great warranty service if you do have problems.

I purchased the XD for two reasons. Cheaper and the additional safety. From everything I've experienced and read they are both excellent guns. I would say buy whichever you feel most comfortable spending your hard-earned cash on.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I bought a Promotional Package XD-9 bi-tone this week for $525 out the door. It included the gun with stainless slide, cable lock, 3 high-cap magazines and a XD Gear holster. That kind of deal on an excellent gun is hard to beat.

The SST slide should take care of any corrosion worries. The free holster may take care of that issue.

In addition to the advantages you cited for the XD, I'd add:

loaded chamber indicator
firing pin (stiker) inidcator
metal sights vs. the plastic on the Glock
3-dot sights (depending on your preference)
SST magazines[/list]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the glock 27 and the XD9 sc I have no trouble with either. Both have been flawless at the range. I like im both, the XD grip angle is alittle better for me and the 3 dot sights on the xd are easier to align then the glock sites. Both are very good guns, get the one that you handle better and is comfortable to you.

If you go for the XD sc now you get 3 mags two ten rounder and a 15 fullsize mag with a xtension sleeve and a holster if your a right handen :lol:

OD-XD

·
Registered
179 Posts
You won't go wrong either way. I like the Glock finish. It is also a smoother contour than the XD which is pretty blocky. I like the Glock trigger but like the grip safety on the XD. I prefer the metal magazine in the XD to the polymer Glock mag. The XD has better factory sights and uses the Sig dovetail which gives you lots of options. I like the takedown lever on the XD over the little nubbies on the Glock.

I picked the XD-9 Sub over the Glock 26 when I traded in my G22, I don't know how I would have gone if the choice had been XD or G19.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have both, an XD SC in 9mm and a Glock 19. I like both, but if I had to keep only one it would be the Glock. This isn't indicative of any problem or dislike of the XD - I love shooting it and it's a nice piece. The Glock just fits my hand a little better, and I'm a little more accurate/consistent with it. I'm fairly retentive about the condition I keep the pistols in, and I do like the more durable finish on the Glock. Lots of holstering and carrying in a kydex Sidearmor, and not a mark on it. I've Armadillo'd the heck out of the XD and no problems yet (still pretty new), but never a concern with the Glock. I like Springfield's warranty, but the Glock seems to have a better out-of-the-box finish to it.

Anyway, the standard answer is to get both, and you really can't go wrong with either. Still, my next pistol on the list is a Glock subcompact in 9 or .40. And I'm not a Glock nut at all . . . I come from the 1911 side. Took me years to buy a Glock as they look(ed) pretty strange.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was deciding between the XD9 sc and the G 26 just last week. Ended up with the SC. I don't like the Glock grip angle and I just shot the XD better. Since you say the opposite is tru...go with the G19. In deciding between guns the best advice is to go with the one you shoot better. I think the higher price of the glock is somewhat compensated by huge availability of aftermarket support.

That said...whay aren't you deciding between the g19 and the XD 4". or the g26 and the XD sub. I think almost everyone shoots the larger guns better. try the xd service before you buy the g19 to make your decision even harder :D

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Convinve you? All I had to do was hold it once and I was sold. I don't think or talk bad about GLOCK though. A GLOCK is a damn fine weapon. But I love my XD. I would suggest finding a range that could rent you one of each to compare with some live rounds.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Convince you!?!?!?!? Did you ask the same question at Glocktalk? I own both the XD9 sub and the G33 357sig,XD feels better and shoots better,nuff said!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Get the one that you want, it's not the end of the world if it later turns out you made the wrong choice. There are tons and tons of firearms to choose from. Get both the XD and Glock and you still havn't even begun to scratch the surface of the gun world.

Most important is be safe and have some fun! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Perfect example of the communities. I asked this on Glock forums and got nothing but XD bashing. Ask here and you get honest answers. Both are good weapons, buy what you feel is more comfortable and shoots better for you. Each person is different and since you will be using and carrying it, you are the final factor.

One thing though, there are tons of holsters (and other aftermarket accessories for that matter) for XDs available from many manufacturers and more coming at an astounding rate.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
"Freedom of Choice" how fortunate we are to live in the USA. Why do you think airsoft and pellet rifles are so popular in Japan and the UK? They are just a small example of the repressed people in the world that would love to fire just one shot from a real rifle or pistol. They love to shoot plastic BBs, because that is all their government will allow. :x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I did ask the same question @ Glocktalk.com... I wanted to hear thier take on the question.. I have shot both, and love them, I think the Glock shoots a bit better for me anyway. The only thing that is making me shy away from the XD is the finish. I dont want to buy a $400 gun only to send it in somewhere else to get re-finished.. Maybe I am just being paranoid. I dont think I will be dissapointed either way.

Thanks guys

I'll let you know what I decide one way or another....

Going to the Dayton, OH gun show next weekend to hopefully buy 1 or the other

Jeremy

·
Registered
150 Posts
Convince you? I own a G-23, and when the XD's had a promotion at my local gunshop, I bought an XD-40 Tactical and a XD-9 Service. I haven't shot the Glock since. I won't sell it, but it is in the nightstand.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Get the one that you want! Take your time and get the one you like better they are both good guns. let me tell you how I ended up with mine.

I was looking to get a bersa thunder for $300 but the person that I had done some work for did not pay me when they were supposed to so I ended up doing an extra day of shopping .

After talking to 2 different people who both sold glocks both recommened the xd after I told them that I learned to shoot with the glock suggested since I learned to shoot with a glock and could not afford the extra cost of the glock so 2 different sales men told me about how the xd was comparable to the glock for less money. Even after I expressed an interest in A sig that looked nice and cost more then the xd.

So just take your time and choose what you want ... Hell buy one and then get the other one in a few months.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts