Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, I bought a Remington 721 chambered in .270 Win. Seemed like a good deal for a hunting rifle, but I already have a Tikka T3 lightweight in .308. Last year, I found a screaming deal on another Tikka T3 lightweight, this one chambered in .300 Win Mag. Between these 2 rifles, plus a couple lever guns (30-30 and .44 mag), three ARs including one set up for long range, and an old Savage .22 Hornet, I feel that I have a rifle for any hunting scenario I might encounter, ruling out Africa. I'm thinking about swapping the .270 for a Glock 20. I'm torn and don't know what to do. Advice please?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sounds like you would do fine without the .270 at this point. Don't know what your kid situation is, but when my daughters started hunting, I found myself hunting deer with my 300 Weatherby because they had my 30-30 and .270. Hope you have the same problem sometime - hunting with my girls has been great.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
A few years ago, I bought a Remington 721 chambered in .270 Win. Seemed like a good deal for a hunting rifle, but I already have a Tikka T3 lightweight in .308. Last year, I found a screaming deal on another Tikka T3 lightweight, this one chambered in .300 Win Mag. Between these 2 rifles, plus a couple lever guns (30-30 and .44 mag), three ARs including one set up for long range, and an old Savage .22 Hornet, I feel that I have a rifle for any hunting scenario I might encounter, ruling out Africa. I'm thinking about swapping the .270 for a Glock 20. I'm torn and don't know what to do. Advice please?
Wait until you are not torn.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
If I were you, and had your inventory, get the Glock. ;-)

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I can't advocate getting rid of a .270. I love that round.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. After sleeping on it, I took the .270 in to swap it out, but the local shop was out of stock. I'll try again in a few days.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't advocate getting rid of a .270. I love that round.
I love that round too, but up here, a deer rifle has to double as brown bear defense. I feel more comfortable with at least a .30 bullet. My preferred .308 load is the 180gr Federal Fusion. My Tikka loves it, it's cheap, and handles anything out to 400yd. If I'm elk hunting, I use the .300 mag with 180gr Barnes TSX.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I love that round too, but up here, a deer rifle has to double as brown bear defense. I feel more comfortable with at least a .30 bullet. My preferred .308 load is the 180gr Federal Fusion. My Tikka loves it, it's cheap, and handles anything out to 400yd. If I'm elk hunting, I use the .300 mag with 180gr Barnes TSX.
I feel ya. I would like a dedicated lever action for bear duty. I would probably not be able to get more than one or two shots off with a bolt action, and I'm fairly fast. A marlin 1895 .45-70 comes to mind as a bear/brush gun. A .30 caliber with 200/220 grains would do too I guess.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
But then again we only have black bears in Texas and florida. They are rare in Texas. Those are the only two places I hunt.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't think any bear would know the difference between a 270 and 308, but the 308 and 300 will do anything you want. If you don't want the 270, sell it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nothing wrong with a good trade for something you don't use for something you will... life changes and so do our hobbies, nothing is worth more than what you need at the time.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
45-70 with heavy hard cast flat faced projectile is a pretty serious thumper. it'll take a man clear off his horse. a lever action 45-70 for Dangerous Game is pretty damned hard to beat.

have you thought about reloading as a new hobby?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I ended up selling the .270, but abandoned my goal of a Glock 20. I'm now trying to decide between a Detroit Locker and a Truetrac for the rearend of my Toyota pickup, which is my dedicated trail rig.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
So, I ended up selling the .270, but abandoned my goal of a Glock 20. I'm now trying to decide between a Detroit Locker and a Truetrac for the rearend of my Toyota pickup, which is my dedicated trail rig.
Thank God! That was close one! :grin:

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I swapped my .270 for a .270WSM years ago and never looked back. ;)

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
gotta be a locker for the rear of a dedicated trail rig. Trutracs are for fronts and those that see a bunch of pavement duty on the rear.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Id keep the .270 and get rid of the 300. Or Id ditch both, then get a 30.06 and your glock.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts