Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is new to shooting and is scared to even be nearby when fire my pistol an XDM Elite in 9mm. I want her to get comfortable firing a pistol and think a good route would be to convert my XD to .22LR. That would allow my wife to get comfortable shooting a pistol and also the configuration of my XD. Hopefully making it an easy transition to firing the gun in 9mm someday.

Anyone convert their XD to .22?

What is the effort involved?

Can it be done to an XDM Elite?

·
Registered
355 Posts

Not sure how well it works. I have a friend who had the Glock version, and reported it wasn't all that reliable.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Before investing in anything, find someone with a .22 for her to shoot or a range where she could try things out, at HER PACE, HER COMFORT LEVEL.
When she's around you when you shoot, does she have excellent ear protection. The flinch response (and possible fear) may be due to the noise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before investing in anything, find someone with a .22 for her to shoot or a range where she could try things out, at HER PACE, HER COMFORT LEVEL.
When she's around you when you shoot, does she have excellent ear protection. The flinch response (and possible fear) may be due to the noise.
There is only one gun shop in town so yesterday we visited the big city. I bought her a second pair of inserted ear plugs so we can double up, realizing the best ear protection would help. We also looked at some inexpensive 22s. One she liked had a birdshead handle. I was/am tempted to buy one because they are less than a conversion kit.

My concern is confession time: My wife is very "opinionated" and stubborn. An example before I took her to the range the first time, she was convinced the pistol was going to be her thing. "Having the rifle go off next to my face will be scary, but the pistol being far from my face will be more comfortable." She was convinced of this even after I explained the difference between .22 and 9mm, as well as how rifle and pistol shooting differ. My concern is if I buy her a birdseye pistol she will convince herself she can only shoot a birdseye handle pistol. She is already convinced of this after holding one for 15 seconds.

I would rather buy a simple .22 than alter my XD, as it is our only pistol at the time, but think a gun that mimics my XD would be best if she is ever to transition to any other gun. Is there any other gun that might come in .22 that has similar ergonomics to the XDs?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would rather buy a simple .22 than alter my XD, as it is our only pistol at the time, but think a gun that mimics my XD would be best if she is ever to transition to any other gun. Is there any other gun that might come in .22 that has similar ergonomics to the XDs?
To answer your question directly, I would call anything with a similar-ish grip angle "close enough": S&W SW22 Victory (my personal choice), Ruger SR22, Ruger Mk IV 22/45 (specifically the 22/45, not the regular Mk IV),...I'm sure there are others that people can chime in on. I would not get the standard Ruger Mk IV, Beretta Neos, or Glock 44 due to their more raked grip angles. Those are perfectly fine pistols, mind you, but definitely have a different feel.

All that said, while I understand the concept of wanting to keep it similar, I really wouldn't worry about it. It's not hard to shoot different shapes of guns and she can learn to shoot an oddball .22 pistol just as well as your XDME...if she really wants to. And that's the thing. Tying into what @Old4Eyes is getting to above, it's really up to her. Who knows, maybe she'll take a liking to the .22 and not want to shoot anything else?

Final (long-shot) suggestion: A suppressed .22LR pistol. Honestly, nothing is as quiet and cool as a suppressed .22 pistol. The nearly silent click-clack of my S&W Victory with a suppressor never fails to draw attention at the range. Not only is it easy on ears, but you feel like the main character in a spy movie! :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a Advantage Arms kit. Its awesome very reliable, well built, accurate, and allows me to stick to the Xd frame. There not cheap but it is high quality. Going back and forth between center fire to rim fire is as easy as swapping slides. Im very happy with my kit. I wanted a 22lr pistol that resembled my XD's so this was the perfect choice for me due to my limited choices here in california. In free states you have options Taurus tx22 anyone? For the love of God I dont know how SA hasn't come out with a XD in 22lr. They should partner up with Advantage Arms and produce these things in large numbers.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'd be willing to bet SA is currently working on a solution. They're often late to the game, so we probably won't see a .22 XD until the ammo crisis is over (I'm being hopeful that it will eventually end). Or SA might be thinking the crisis will be over sooner, rather than later, and it's not worth the investment.

I think an XDS-22 or Hellcat .22 (Hellkitten?) would be a seller. Making a carry gun for people with physical restrictions seems to be a thing these days: Ruger LCP II Lite Rack, S&W Shield E-Z.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, what is a birds head / birds eye handle?

Get a separate .22 pistol. She can use that while you're using the 9mm. No waiting. Plus, it will be HER gun - and you can get a separate gun cleaning setup so she can clean HER gun.
The Ruger SR22 is cheap and easy to handle. We have his and hers. The wife does not like the weight of the Mark III, your wife might. There is 22/45 Lite as an intermediate. Lots of choices.
Let her discuss it with another lady that already owns a .22. If she chooses poorly, it's HER choice.

Import guns are restricted on caliber, federal law, it's for our protection. Play with the Google thing to do your own research.

Happy Wife, Happy Life. Nothing rhymes with husband so suck it up buttercup.

·
Premium Member
17,890 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, what is a birds head / birds eye handle?

Get a separate .22 pistol. She can use that while you're using the 9mm. No waiting. Plus, it will be HER gun - and you can get a separate gun cleaning setup so she can clean HER gun.
The Ruger SR22 is cheap and easy to handle. We have his and hers. The wife does not like the weight of the Mark III, your wife might. There is 22/45 Lite as an intermediate. Lots of choices.
Let her discuss it with another lady that already owns a .22. If she chooses poorly, it's HER choice.

Import guns are restricted on caliber, federal law, it's for our protection. Play with the Google thing to do your own research.

Happy Wife, Happy Life. Nothing rhymes with husband so suck it up buttercup.
That was my experience... bought an Advantage Arms conversion for the XD but eventually decided that switching it back and forth was a pain in the butt and not worth the “common frame” idea so just got a SR22 instead.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'd be willing to bet SA is currently working on a solution. They're often late to the game, so we probably won't see a .22 XD until the ammo crisis is over (I'm being hopeful that it will eventually end). Or SA might be thinking the crisis will be over sooner, rather than later, and it's not worth the investment.

I think an XDS-22 or Hellcat .22 (Hellkitten?) would be a seller. Making a carry gun for people with physical restrictions seems to be a thing these days: Ruger LCP II Lite Rack, S&W Shield E-Z.
Hell kitten 😆 i would buy 1 just to have a slide stamped with those words. I already know that it wouldn't be available in california. So I'd rather see a Advantage arms produce a 22 conversion for the sub compact XD.

I regret not buying a ruger sr22 when it was legal here in california. Now that there off the rooster my choice is a Advantage arms 22 conversion kit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Advantage Arms kit. Its awesome very reliable, well built, accurate, and allows me to stick to the Xd frame. There not cheap but it is high quality. Going back and forth between center fire to rim fire is as easy as swapping slides. Im very happy with my kit. I wanted a 22lr pistol that resembled my XD's so this was the perfect choice for me due to my limited choices here in california. In free states you have options Taurus tx22 anyone? For the love of God I dont know how SA hasn't come out with a XD in 22lr. They should partner up with Advantage Arms and produce these things in large numbers.
Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I am looking for. I have the XDME and not sure if their kits would work with my gun. I have an email out to Advantage Arms to see if they believe their kit would work for me.

The Taurus tx22 is on my list. If I can get one for retail pricing it would be about the same price as a conversion kit.
M+P 22 and and Ruger SR22, are also in consideration. My local shop has the M+P on order but who knows when it might arrive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Separate guns is a better idea. That way if she doesn’t like it you’ll have another. 😁
Great minds think alike.

I feel the list of guns I am trying to focus on will be similar enough she will get comfortable with the frame style and procedures.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The M&P 22 will be a close comparison to the XD. The Ruger Mark IV 22/45 is an awesome fun pistol, but the controls are a bit dofferent than the XD. Still, a great pistol, bought a Lite version last year. Wife loves it.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I know there are conversion kits out there, but IMO, it's better to get a dedicated .22lr pistol. Even if you end up using it for a trainer since she doesn't like it. :)

I would suggest the S&W M&P 22compact. Great shooting little gun and very similar in proportional size to the full size M&P line pistols. The Glock .22 is ok .... but when I grabbed it, the thing felt cheap. I wasn't sold on it.

I love the Buckmark, and the Ruger is a great .22lr..... but for every day defensive gun type use, I think the S&W M&P22 compact is the best bet out there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would suggest the S&W M&P 22compact. Great shooting little gun and very similar in proportional size to the full size M&P line pistols. The Glock .22 is ok .... but when I grabbed it, the thing felt cheap. I wasn't sold on it.
I really like the look of the M&P hopefully my local gunshop gets the ones it has on order soon.

The reviews of the Glock .22 seems like a really bad gun, at least compared to the Glock name.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I really like the look of the M&P hopefully my local gunshop gets the ones it has on order soon.

The reviews of the Glock .22 seems like a really bad gun, at least compared to the Glock name.
Crazy to think that glock couldn't produce a better 22 pistol and especially considering the price.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
People keep asking why XD and others aren't making a .22 pistol.

Here's a link discussing the point system involved for importing a handgun: NRA-ILA | Federal Handgun Importation Criteria

The gist of the matter, the smaller caliber gives less points. Non metal frames really hits the points requirements. Fixed sights knock off points.
It's all to keep the children safe.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ah, that explains things. I guess it’s good to have a manufacturing location in the U.S. if you’re a foreign company (I.e. Glock, Beretta, Sig). That also might come in handy for CZ seeing as they just bought Colt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I haven't followed Colt in a long time, I believed they were running on the fame of their former selves. Did Colt have any handgun that was polymer? That's the big thing that kills the imports. But as LivingUpNorth just pointed out, CZ may have bought a presence for manufacturing in the US, although in a sense, they had that with Dan Wesson. Who knows, maybe quality Snake guns might now come from that assembly plant.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts