Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to convert a 9mm xde to 40 cal. I can already hear the responses. "40 cal is dead", "the best modern 9mm is just as good as a standard 40 cal", "just get a 45 cal", etc. That being said let me explain my rationale.
First I learned how to shoot pistols with the M9, a double action single action. I am familiar with this type of action and am well trained with it. I like carrying de-cocked and loaded. The long trigger pull provides a certain amount of safety. Also when it is de-cocked there is no stored energy behind the firing pin like on a striker fired pistol, which is an additional layer of safety. I presently carry a Smith and Wesson Chiefs Special in 40 cal. Unfortunately it is only slightly smaller than my Sig 226 also in 40 cal. So when Springfield Armory came out with the XDE I was very excited. I have been patiently waiting for SA to release the XDE in 40 cal. But it looks like that is something that isn't going to happen. One more point I have a significant amount of 40 cal ammunition. I have no 9 mm ammunition. In fact I would have to spend a great deal of money in order to stock up the same amount of 9mm as I already have 40 cal. I would rather spend half that money and convert a 9mm to 40 cal.
As I understand the case diameter of 9mm is .030 smaller than that of the 40 cal. So the bolt face would have to be machined slightly, and the extractor changed. As for the barrel it looks as though I could get a 40 cal barrel from the XDS. The two barrels look identical. I would have to consult with a gun smith to verify this, unless any of the great members out there have both the XDE and the XDS in the same caliber and would be willing to check for me. I would be very appreciative. The magazine and followers are the same, as well as the recoil spring on the XDS in both 40 and 9mm. We have an extremely competent Gun Smith in the area. I will check with him, but first I thought that I would float the idea here and see if anyone has tried this. Thank you in advance, and live the dream.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
OK, not trying to be a smart ass but why did you purchase a 9mm handgun when 1) you want a .40 caliber and 2) you have no 9mm ammo? Not sure if is even possible to convert the E from a 9mm to .40. You've already spelled out the work that needed to be done, machine the bolt face, etc. Just asking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, not trying to be a smart ass but why did you purchase a 9mm handgun when 1) you want a .40 caliber and 2) you have no 9mm ammo? Not sure if is even possible to convert the E from a 9mm to .40. You've already spelled out the work that needed to be done, machine the bolt face, etc. Just asking.
I'm sorry I didn't clarify, I haven't purchased the pistol yet. I'm wanting to verify that I would be able to do the conversion before I buy one.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Seems unlikely.
40-to-9 is the usual course people take with a conversion, mostly because of the hurdles you mentioned above in the form of extraction, bolt face size, etc.

I have a 9mm barrel for my 4.5 XDM 40 and am considering one for my HK P30L 40. I'd like to get one for my USP40 (fullsize) but everything I read says it's not possible without major mods. I have 0 problems with 40 S&W... I enjoy shooting it and own a variety of guns chambered in it. It ain't dead by a longshot.

It's not unreasonable to want options, but I just don't think it's feasible for less money that you'd spend on a replacement gun. 40s are relatively cheap at the moment... maybe pick up the 40 you want and get a conversion barrel for it.*

*make sure it's doable and that the parts are available first, before spending the dough.

Reactions: windsearcher

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems unlikely.
40-to-9 is the usual course people take with a conversion, mostly because of the hurdles you mentioned above in the form of extraction, bolt face size, etc.

I have a 9mm barrel for my 4.5 XDM 40 and am considering one for my HK P30L 40. I'd like to get one for my USP40 (fullsize) but everything I read says it's not possible without major mods. I have 0 problems with 40 S&W... I enjoy shooting it and own a variety of guns chambered in it. It ain't dead by a longshot.

It's not unreasonable to want options, but I just don't think it's feasible for less money that you'd spend on a replacement gun. 40s are relatively cheap at the moment... maybe pick up the 40 you want and get a conversion barrel for it.*

*make sure it's doable and that the parts are available first, before spending the dough.
Thank you, for your input. I'd rather just buy a 40 cal with double action single action in a concealable package. The problem is they just don't exist. My Chief Special isn't very small. I am not opposed to spending money on a custom gun that fits a particular need of mine. I have several very custom guns. I think this project if it can work would suit me well.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Thank you, for your input. I'd rather just buy a 40 cal with double action single action in a concealable package. The problem is they just don't exist.
You're right, that list is pretty short.

For a DA/SA 40 I'd look at the HK P30sk. There's also the USP40c. Neither of them are tiny (for tiny I go to my Walther PPS .40), but I wouldn't think much, if any, larger than the XDE. However, I'm not even sure if the P30sk is available in .40, something you may already know, but I dont.

The USP compacts are pretty large by comparison. I had to cut my USP9c loose awhile back to get into the P30sk... that hurt. I have a USP40c 12 rd magazine that I mistakenly bought for my full-sized USP40 a few mos ago... if you go that route let me know, I'll let it go for cheap*.

I also sometimes carry a S&W 4013 TSW... a great (but discontinued for many years) piece. Still available on the used market in 100% condition for not a lotta dough.

The Walther P99c is available in .40 and a fantastic gun. Was my EDC (in 9mm) for several years, only recently being edged-out by a P30sk. It's a striker-fired gun with a decocker, not hammer-fired. It works and feels the same as a traditional DA/SA though, with a much better trigger than just about anything short of a custom tuned job.

I used to carry an EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness compact .40 in stainless steel (real SS, before they developed the WonderFinish), also a great piece, if a bit on the heavy side compared to today's poly-guns. My only beef w that gun was the milled-in front sight (like a Beretta 92) that would require some expensive machining to replace. I still have a Wild Bill's leather IWB holster for it, bought before Bill went off the rails.

As you said, the pickins are slim...this might be a good subject for a brain-teasing thread... subcompact, SA/DA .40s.

I'd watch.

*Sidebar: After I figured out that I'd bought a compact mag for my full-sized gun I did the only rational thing... went looking for a gun to put it in, of course!
I found a USP40c on GunsAmerica in Michigan.
BINGO!
Buuut... this was at the very beginning of the ChinaVirus lockdowns and MI's governor (Whitman) was putting the hammer down. I tried for WEEKS to get a response but never did... no one answering phones or even emails.
The ChiComs done messed-up my deal and they'll never be forgiven or forgotten.
I'll miss General Tso's chicken the most.

·
Registered
29,767 Posts
Thank you, for your input. I'd rather just buy a 40 cal with double action single action in a concealable package. The problem is they just don't exist. My Chief Special isn't very small. I am not opposed to spending money on a custom gun that fits a particular need of mine. I have several very custom guns. I think this project if it can work would suit me well.
They do exist.

See: HK USP Compact, P2000 and P2000SK .40, Sig P224, Beretta PX4 subcompact, S&W CS40...

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
I've done 40 to 9, never tried 9 to 40 and wouldn't. I'm not sure what extra strengths are built into the slide / barrel / frame for 40 pressures but in dropping down to a 9 I wouldn't have to worry about it. If I'm going from 9 to 40 I would have to worry about it.

Plus now you're machining the bolt face? Nah.

Even if you have to sacrifice buying a bit larger gun buy a 40. If you later want to convert it to 9 go ahead, but I wouldn't buy a 9 and try to convert it to 40.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
As with others, I have seen a .40 to 9mm conversion.. several sources for that... never heard of the 9mm to .40 though... don't think it can be done since you are trying to put in bigger parts.

Reactions: Jonnyuma

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I forgot about the P2000sk. A .40 model would probably be a bargain.

Same with the PX4... don't see too many of those in the "used gun" section. People either really love them, or they never made too many of them in the first place.

A place in FL was selling Walther P99 compacts in .40 for (IIRC) under 4 bills a few yrs ago... I really wish I'd bought one. Or two.
Yeah, no hammer... just my addled ramblings.

Reactions: Snaphook

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I've done 40 to 9, never tried 9 to 40 and wouldn't. I'm not sure what extra strengths are built into the slide / barrel / frame for 40 pressures but in dropping down to a 9 I wouldn't have to worry about it. If I'm going from 9 to 40 I would have to worry about it.

Plus now you're machining the bolt face? Nah.

Even if you have to sacrifice buying a bit larger gun buy a 40. If you later want to convert it to 9 go ahead, but I wouldn't buy a 9 and try to convert it to 40.
As far as i know the pressure of 9mm and 40 are close to the same.
Don

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

For a DA/SA 40 I'd look at the HK P30sk. There's also the USP40c. Neither of them are tiny (for tiny I go to my Walther PPS .40), but I wouldn't think much, if any, larger than the XDE. However, I'm not even sure if the P30sk is available in .40, something you may already know, but I dont.

The USP compacts are pretty large by comparison. I had to cut my USP9c loose awhile back to get into the P30sk... that hurt. I have a USP40c 12 rd magazine that I mistakenly bought for my full-sized USP40 a few mos ago... if you go that route let me know, I'll let it go for cheap*.

I also sometimes carry a S&W 4013 TSW... a great (but discontinued for many years) piece. Still available on the used market in 100% condition for not a lotta dough.

The Walther P99c is available in .40 and a fantastic gun. Was my EDC (in 9mm) for several years, only recently being edged-out by a P30sk. It's a striker-fired gun with a decocker, not hammer-fired. It works and feels the same as a traditional DA/SA though, with a much better trigger than just about anything short of a custom tuned job.

I used to carry an EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness compact .40 in stainless steel (real SS, before they developed the WonderFinish), also a great piece, if a bit on the heavy side compared to today's poly-guns. My only beef w that gun was the milled-in front sight (like a Beretta 92) that would require some expensive machining to replace. I still have a Wild Bill's leather IWB holster for it, bought before Bill went off the rails.

As you said, the pickins are slim...this might be a good subject for a brain-teasing thread... subcompact, SA/DA .40s.

I'd watch.

*Sidebar: After I figured out that I'd bought a compact mag for my full-sized gun I did the only rational thing... went looking for a gun to put it in, of course!
BINGO!
Buuut... this was at the very beginning of the ChinaVirus lockdowns and MI's governor (Whitman) was putting the hammer down. I tried for WEEKS to get a response but never did... no one answering phones or even emails.
Those are all excellent firearms, but all are about the same size or bigger than my Chief Special. When I compared the Chief Special to the XDE 9MM it seemed huge and was much heavier. The big difference was the width. The XDE is very thin. Thank you so much for your post. I'm sorry about the USP 40c. The USP is an excellent tool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They do exist.

See: HK USP Compact, P2000 and P2000SK .40, Sig P224, Beretta PX4 subcompact, S&W CS40...
Those are quite compact pistols but all are roughly the same or bigger than my Chief Special. The XDE is much smaller, and that is what I am trying to achieve. Thank you very much for your post.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The xds40 is the easy option if you can deal with the striker. If not..

I’m thinking the xdE and xds are extremely similar. Xds all have the same magwell & frame to my knowledge. I would guess that xde do as well. Xds long mags and xdE mags are interchangeable.

Back in the day someone converted an xd45 to 10mm. Some Glocks use the same extractor for 45 and 10mm models (same bolt face as 40) and simply use a conversion barrel.

I would be interested in seeing if an xde45 with Xds 40 long mags and Xds 40 barrel would work...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The xds40 is the easy option if you can deal with the striker. If not..

I’m thinking the xdE and xds are extremely similar. Xds all have the same magwell & frame to my knowledge. I would guess that xde do as well. Xds long mags and xdE mags are interchangeable.

Back in the day someone converted an xd45 to 10mm. Some Glocks use the same extractor for 45 and 10mm models (same bolt face as 40) and simply use a conversion barrel.

I would be interested in seeing if an xde45 with Xds 40 long mags and Xds 40 barrel would work...

I reached out to my local gunsmith, he is intrigued by the idea, and is looking into it. Wish me luck. I will keep everyone informed to what becomes of this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I'd watch.

BINGO!
Johhnyuma I recently purchased a 9mm XDE and I have a gunsmith converting it to 40 cal. I contacted Springfield Armory I was told they originally planned on releasing the XDE in 9mm and 40cal using the same chassis with a different boltface, extractor, and barrel. That being said I was told demand for the 40 has dropped off so they halted the release. We are using a XDS barrel in 40cal and he is machining the bolt face. It's not going to be cheap and is going to take several months. Also when you posted I wasn't in a position to buy another pistol but if you are still wanting to sell that USP40 I am in a position to buy it now. I understand that prices have gone up and am willing to pay that uptick in price. If you sold it or don't want to, that's cool. When XDE is done I'll let you guys know how it went. Live the dream everyone.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
I kept waiting for a XDF40, but no luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I kept waiting for a XDF40, but no luck.
Unfortunately the only way to get an XDE in 40cal is to build one. This process is quite expensive. That being said protecting your family and yourself is something worth spending money on. It would have been nice if spring field armory had actually created the XDE in 40cal but they did not. So you must decide if you are willing to except the lesser capabilities of the 9mm or spend the money and build the pistol you feel most comfortable with. Most people are comfortable with the capabilities of the 9mm I myself am not. I want more at least, and most for sure...

·
Registered
29,767 Posts
Unfortunately the only way to get an XDE in 40cal is to build one. This process is quite expensive. That being said protecting your family and yourself is something worth spending money on. It would have been nice if spring field armory had actually created the XDE in 40cal but they did not. So you must decide if you are willing to except the lesser capabilities of the 9mm or spend the money and build the pistol you feel most comfortable with. Most people are comfortable with the capabilities of the 9mm I myself am not. I want more at least, and most for sure...
Or just step up and get it in .45, and not accept the lesser capabilities of .40...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts