Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is the benefit to having a converted Saiga? Will it accept the standard AK mags?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yes, converted Saigas accept standard AK mags.

The whole point of converting it is to add the standard "evil" AK features such as the pistol grip, high cap mags, flash hider ect to make it just like a standard AK. They remove those features in order to legally import them into the states.

Saigas are the best bang for your buck out there right now. For just a little more then the price of a crappy Romanian WASR you are getting a rock solid true Russian AK.

-Derek

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, converted Saigas accept standard AK mags.

The whole point of converting it is to add the standard evil AK features such as the pistol grip, high cap mags, flash hider ect to make it just like a standard AK. They remove those features in order to legally import them into the states.

Saigas are the best bang for your buck out there right now. For just a little more then the price of a crappy Romanian WASR you are getting a rock solid true Russian AK.

-Derek
Thanks! I had been looking at the Saigas but want the OE Ak features.

Where is the best place to get one right now?

UB

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
If you convert the mag well, yes, it will accept military surplus magazines. There are various 'levels' of conversion, and it is up to the individual how far they want to go.

There are a couple of reasons that I think folks convert:

1) It brings back balance to the rifle. The factory Saiga is a clumsy forward-heavy rifle as it arrives. Putting the guts back in the proper place, and adding a pistol grip where it was designed to be greatly increases the handling aspects of it.

2) it's a big middle finger to the revenuers (folks convert because they can).

Centerfire Systems shows them in stock @ $299. Spend another $100 on 922r parts and you can convert one in your garage in an afternoon.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks! I had been looking at the Saigas but want the OE Ak features.

UB
Classic Arms has converted x39 Saigas on sale right now for $475. You wont find them any cheaper then that.

To convert one yourself it would cost $300 for the factory stock Saiga plus another $150 in parts. So you are looking at $450 plus labor and the cost of any tools.

Classic Arms Inc.

-Derek

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Classic Arms has converted x39 Saigas on sale right now for $475. You wont find them any cheaper then that.

To convert one yourself it would cost $300 for the factory stock Saiga plus another $150 in parts. So you are looking at $450 plus labor and the cost of any tools.

Classic Arms Inc.

-Derek
You shouldn't need any tools that aren't in your garage or shop already.

Converting a Saiga is a simple affair.

Beware the low-end pre-converted Saigas, corners have been cut by their producers.

IMHO, doing it yourself is the best course of action (you'll find dozens of "I thought it would be hard, but now I'm kicking myself or waiting so long to do it" reports over on the Saiga forum).

It really is as easy as falling of a log.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I have seen a .308 saiga converted to use m14 mags..maybe they were fal mags..anyways..how hard would that be I wonder?..I would most definitely pick up the .308 saiga if it were an easy conversion.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I have seen a .308 saiga converted to use m14 mags..maybe they were fal mags..anyways..how hard would that be I wonder?..I would most definitely pick up the .308 saiga if it were an easy conversion.
Why would you want to do that when ready-made mags exist for the .308 Saiga already (from 2 or more manufacturers)?

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
i'd rather use steel surplus for cheaper. never had any problems using them in a m14. plus I already have a pretty big collection of them and would hate to spend the 40-50 bucks a pop for a 25 round polymer mag.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
i'd rather use steel surplus for cheaper. never had any problems using them in a m14. plus I already have a pretty big collection of them and would hate to spend the 40-50 bucks a pop for a 25 round polymer mag.
Will at Red Jacket is your man, then.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
What does Red Jacket offer?? I am the same way, I hate to spend $40-50 per mag for these damn .308s.

-Derek
He'll convert your Saiga .308 to run with M14 or G3 or FAL mags (your choice).

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I love his slogan.

"If you can dream it, we can build it.
(as long as its legal, and doesn't look retarded)"

:lol:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Any idea how much he charges to do that?? I can't find a price or even mention of that service.

-Derek
You know what they say: "If you have to ask how much . . "

He just built a .223 Saiga that took AR15 mags, and said it added $300 to the cost of the build.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I love his slogan.

"If you can dream it, we can build it.
(as long as its legal, and doesn't look retarded)"

:lol:
that's awesome lol.

As per the conversion, if you aren't picky on the features the converted AKs for 475 look to be one of the better deals going. As has been mentioned before, you never really know the quality of the conversion from them. If you're mechanically inclined then convert it yourself. It's not as intimidating as one might think. If you feel like you might crap your pants as to even removing the dust cover, buy the converted.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that's awesome lol.

As per the conversion, if you aren't picky on the features the converted AKs for 475 look to be one of the better deals going. As has been mentioned before, you never really know the quality of the conversion from them. If you're mechanically inclined then convert it yourself. It's not as intimidating as one might think. If you feel like you might crap your pants as to even removing the dust cover, buy the converted.
Not intimidated at all but rather I know nothing about AK's. If $475 gets me one that will still go bang, takes cheap mags and will take surplus type parts then great. Looks do not bother me at all. On the other hand, if I spend up to $600 on one I do not want to have to do much work.

Any places that have a better rep for converted Saiga's?

UB

1 - 20 of 27 Posts