Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I have a 5.25” 9mm XDM Elite and I’m wondering if it is possible to convert it to .45 ACP. Should I be looking for an after market convention or could I buy a slide and barrel for a 5.25” .45 ACP XDM and put that on?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
You would need a new slide and frame. No way that I know of to make that conversation.

.45 mags are bigger than 9mm mags, and sounds like you are aware of the slide differences.

·
21,988 Posts
Reactions: 835mag

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
That's a bit dramatic, don't you think? The trigger group probably interchanges. 😋
The XD/XDm doesn't have a trigger group per say. Just a number of individual parts. And no the trigger, trigger spring, and trigger bar are all specific to the larger framed 10mm/45

·
Registered
35 Posts
The XD/XDm doesn't have a trigger group per say. Just a number of individual parts. And no the trigger, trigger spring, and trigger bar are all specific to the larger framed 10mm/45
Learn something new almost everyday, even if I was just trying to be a smart @ss.

Is that something that's generally true of all striker fired pistols, or is specific to the XD/XDm series? What are the main differences, size, weight? I guess I can see some reasoning for the trigger bar and spring, but the actual trigger??? Are the frames that different?

Sorry for all the questions. My XDm is the only striker fired pistol I own and I'm trying to understand it a little better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This went a little bit on a tangential. I will try to get back on track.

You can put a full .45 ACP slide on the bigger 10mm frame to convert it. Verified personally.
Potentially, you can put a full .40 S&W slide on the smaller 9mm frame to convert it. I have not done it.
You cannot cross the slide between the smaller and the larger frame XDms, same as say on the Glocks.

I cannot put a factory barrel for a different caliber in any of the slides.
There are aftermarket barrels that allow shooting 9mm from a .40 S&W slide. Verified personally.

For that reason (ease of conversions), Tanfoglio has the large frame Witnesses, which are designed to accept 9mm, .38 Super (not Special), .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and 10mm slides.
HK has a special 9mm slide (with the barrel of course) and magazines, which can be used on the larger, .45 ACP frame.

·
Registered
29,669 Posts
This went a little bit on a tangential. I will try to get back on track.

You can put a full .45 ACP slide on the bigger 10mm frame to convert it. Verified personally.
Potentially, you can put a full .40 S&W slide on the smaller 9mm frame to convert it. I have not done it.
You cannot cross the slide between the smaller and the larger frame XDms, same as say on the Glocks.

I cannot put a factory barrel for a different caliber in any of the slides.
There are aftermarket barrels that allow shooting 9mm from a .40 S&W slide. Verified personally.

For that reason (ease of conversions), Tanfoglio has the large frame Witnesses, which are designed to accept 9mm, .38 Super (not Special), .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and 10mm slides.
HK has a special 9mm slide (with the barrel of course) and magazines, which can be used on the larger, .45 ACP frame.
Which HK model is that? I am unaware of anything like that for either the USP or HK45 series...in fact, the only pistol it might work with would be the P9/P9S.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Which HK model is that? I am unaware of anything like that for either the USP or HK45 series...in fact, the only pistol it might work with would be the P9/P9S.
There is an Elite conversion kit, the HK number is 218585.
It works on any USP 45 frame - USP, Expert, and Elite, as they are all the same.
It will not work on USPc or HK45/HK45c.

I do not know if they ever had a similar kit for P9/P9S.

·
Registered
29,669 Posts
There is an Elite conversion kit, the HK number is 218585.
It works on any USP 45 frame - USP, Expert, and Elite, as they are all the same.
It will not work on USPc or HK45/HK45c.

I do not know if they ever had a similar kit for P9/P9S.
It seems that kit exists, but only in Europe, and then very, very few. Sounds like a few made it over here, but was never imported to the US by HK.

Basically unobtanium—which HK is good at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It seems that kit exists, but only in Europe, and then very, very few. Sounds like a few made it over here, but was never imported to the US by HK.

Basically unobtanium—which HK is good at.
You can order it on the phone from HK US. I think the wait is six to eight months, as they import them in batches once or twice per year.
There are up for sale every now and then on GB and trading sites, but not at a price you want to pay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts