Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious reading about converting the XD 40 to 9mm merely by switching barrels. How does this work? Is the breechface the same size? What about mags- do the .40 cal. mags take 9mm? Please explain this in simple terms since I'm a simple person! :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Topic has been covered many times, do a search and you will find your answer. No there are not problems switching from 40 to 9 and you can modify 40 mags to fit the 9 or buy new 9 mags. Hope this helps and to save on repeat posts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Springfield said they would void the warrenty if you use a 9mm conversion barrel.They said it was alright to convert a 40 to 357 sig or vice versa.Gunsmiths has told me not to do this but some people say it works fine in thier guns.I didnt do it on the request of my smith. BigA

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Bob- I did a search, but didn't get the detail I wanted.

BigA- thanks for confirming what I was really after- although you can easily convert an XD40 to a 9mm, it probably is wiser not to!

WB

·
Registered
513 Posts
I concur with BigA. I have heard great success with it but I just would not trust it. I want a nice Bar Sto match bbl in 40 or 357 and I dont have to change mags.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You can never have to many guns .I know its more expensive but im saving for a 9mm subcompact.Thier so sweet i just gatta have one

·
Registered
119 Posts
I plan on getting a 9mm barrel for my XD-40, using my old 10 rd mags to feed it and then using my 12 mags and factory .40 barrel for carry. 9mm isn't as harsh on the pistol and is cheaper to shoot but I perfer .40 for defense.

What I'm wondering is how would Springfield know that I used a 9mm barrel in my XD-40? If I have any problems with it, I'll just send it back with the factory barrel and get it fixed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point, rem, except for the fact that SA reps lurk on this forum, and they've now got you down on their list. :!:

·
Registered
114 Posts
They wouldnt unless you didnt know they didnt approve of it.I was just letting people in on that so they didnt call up and say "hey man my gun is malfunctioning with this conversion barrel"And you are right it is mostly a reliability issue but my smith said it could break something also.But that could happen anyway.I just try my best not to.Hey Rem do any shooting at coal creek armory in K town? Later BigA

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not since it was Guncraft, I live southwest of Maryville and now I go to Farnsworth in Vonore.

Not really concerned about reliability issues with the 9mm, just going to use it for practice and plinking. The pistol has been 100% reliable so far but didn't know about the possibility of a 9mm barrel voiding the warranty. I figure as long as the XD doesn't need any smithing done to it then they would never know.

Actually didn't figure it was that big of a deal for Springfield since I have been looking at their 1911 Longslide and was told via email that it would be fine to shoot .45 Supers through it with a few mods and not void the warranty. But then again they used to sell Longslide years ago with the extra spring and rod to shoot .45 Supers.

I think going from the .40 to the 9mm is less comcern than going from a .45 ACP to a .45 Super.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I shoot at farnsworth a couple times a month.Once in a while i meet a friend and shoot at coal creek.I only live about 25 mins away from farnsworth.Its hard to beat 5.00 range fee.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hell yeah, my wife and I just use 1 lane and shoot for about an hour for only $5, can't beat that. Hey PM me or email me next time, maybe we could meet up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yea i'll do that .If everything goes right i hope to go thursday of next week.Sometimes i go on fridays or saterdays.I work swings and sometimes go through the week when i get a couple days off.My E-mail adress is [email protected] one day when you are going be there e-mail me and i'll see if im free. Later BigAL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts