Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I'm new here and looking for information on a conversion kit for the xdm40. I've heard mixed things about the conversion barrels going from .40 to 9mm, some saying that the guns aren't at all accurate with the conversions. I know that the 9 is on its way soon but you once I buy the 9, I really can't convert it to a 40. I want the power of the 40 but cost of the 9 for range time.Any input will help tons. If you have them pictures would be great, also any websites to buy them would help.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I guess there are several people thinking the same things. Still have only heard from one person who's actually changed the barrel. I know the Glocks are very user friendly with the conversions, even with a .22 conversion but I'm really aching for the xdm. The gund show hits Orlando again next weekend so that may do it and I'll just pick up the .40:lol:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I purchased the EFK Fire Dragon 9mm barrel for my XDM .40 conversion. It does shoot accurately but I have had several FTE's. I guess the extractor on the XDM .40 isn't an exact fit for the 9mm cases. Is there any solution for this problem?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I believe I can provide some insight. However, it is from an XD perspective. I purchased an XD-9 service 11/2008. First pistol. After shooting it for a year, I decided I would like to try an XD-40 service. Within the last month or so, I sold the 9 and purchased a 40. I also purchased a 9mm conversion barrel from Pistol gear as well as a Don's guide rod and a 22# recoil spring. First off, IMO the 22# spring with the Don's guide rod reduced the perceived recoil when shooting 40 cal rounds by about 40 %. Much more manageble. When I want to shoot 9mm, I go with the stock (40) guide rod and spring and the conversion barrel. Shoots very accurate. I have not had any FTE issues, although my son did when he shot it. I think it was due to limp wristing. So from my point of view, I have two pistols for the cost of one + $200. And to tell you the truth, the 9mm is more enjoyable to shoot (and cheaper by almost 50%) when firing in quantity for practice. Sorry to get kind of lengthy. Happy Holidays to all from up here in the North Country.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I purchased the EFK Fire Dragon 9mm barrel for my XDM .40 conversion. It does shoot accurately but I have had several FTE's. I guess the extractor on the XDM .40 isn't an exact fit for the 9mm cases. Is there any solution for this problem?
Have you tried using a 16# spring? I have a couple of EFK firedragon barrels. They work great. The ported 9mm conversion barrel version I have had a couple of fte at first. I put in the 16# spring no problems after that. It worked out nice to. I bought a don's guide rod for my .40 & my stock guide rod & the 16# spring on the other setup. It takes only seconds to swap now. :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would imagine the softer spring with the new barrel and less powerful round (9mil) would be a no-brainer. I could certainly see the FTE issues as the stock .40 cal spring would not allow the slide to move back as far. I haven't got mine yet but I plan to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts