Springfield XD Forum banner

Conversion Barrel Question.....

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Old School 
#1 ·
Hey all,

After reading a post or 2 about the conversion barrels I got a bit interested and would like to ask a question. Let me see if I understand this.
From what I see and read if I have an XD Tactical in 40S&W, I can buy one of the EFK Fire Dragon conversion barrels in 9mm and simply drop it in and then start shooting 9mm ammo? Is that correct? Now I know I would have to have 9mm mags or modify my 40S&W mage a bit, but is that all? I don't have to change springs, top ends or any other parts other than the replacement barrel?
If that is the case, how well do the conversion barrels work? What kind of accuracy are people getting out of them? Would the pistol still cycle reliably since a 40S&W would have a heavier recoil spring than a 9mm?
Let me know about this cause if this is the case, the 40S&W Tactical has moved WAY up on my list.
Thanks for the info....

Nala

#2 ·
The barrel is ALL you need to change. Most people seem to say that accuracy is at least as good as with the original caliber. No real need to even change the recoil spring, they are the same weight. If you get a Tactical, 1911 recoil springs work just fine if you do decide to change. Original guide rod works fine, no replacement needed.

#3 ·
Snake-eater is 100% correct as usual.
The EFK is great and shoots every bit as well as the 40. Besides, it looks damn good because the barrel is stainless. I only have the service but I think it's agreat buy...2 guns in 1 package. I've gone through about 1000 rounds in mine ( had to tweak the 40 mags abit) but other than that, Ive never had an FTF or FTE shooting WWB in 9MM. The only other thing I did for the service was to change to Don's GR and the 22# spring but you shouldn't need that with the TAC.

Good luck with your decision..

Rikoshey :twisted:

#7 ·
wwp512 said:
doesn't SA sell barrels that will do the job, why go with EFK?

SA won't sell you just a barrel and they don't offer conversion barrels. As of now EFK FireDragon and Barsto are they only two options, from what I know.

We are due to receive more EFK barrels in during the first week of February. http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=02PA

Old School

#9 ·
Sure you can. EFK makes a host of conversion barrels for the Glock. That is 60% of thier business; feeding the Glock market.

I am working with Frank now, to add them to our store. Because there are so many choice, I need to start with the barrels that have the volumn.

Old School

#19 ·
I have the 9mm Barsto Semi Drop-In for my .40 Tactical. Dropped right in and had no problems running factory ammo. Had some FTEs with some bunny fart reloads (no fault of the barrel) so I put in a 16lb spring and no more problems. Might even consider a 14lb spring, but I already had the 16lb.
I don't have any experience with the EFK, but I can say the Barsto is very accurate. Well worth the $$$.

#20 ·
Soysuperhombre said:
:shock:
I have XD 40 Service.
The guy behind the counter said I would have to buy a new slide to convert to 9mm.
He said because the extractor was made for the .40

But all I have to do is by a new barrel?

Am I hearing this right.?
Technically, the guy behind the counter is correct. SA sells two slide currently. One is for the 357/40 and the other is for the 9. I think SA said the breech face is different. I asked about a conversion and the party line is you must switch the upper, or slide and barrel.

Having said this, the EFK is designed to fit a 9mm caliber barrel into a 40 caliber slide and work fine. The stock 9mm barrel from SA will not work with a 40 slide. You must buy a conversion barrel from EFK or Barsto.

If you call EFK, the owner is extremely helpful. I think he will convince you it is OK based on past experience and technology.

Paul

#22 ·
qwert XD-40 said:
I just bought the XD-40 service and was wondering if they make a .357 conversion barrel and if so I dont need to change the mags do I. What is the going price and where is the best place to get them.

THX
I think the .357 is a necked down .40. I know they use the same slide. If you buy any .357 barrel from anywhere, it should work fine. The mags (as I understand) are interchangeable. In fact, some places stamp them .40/.357. You can call springfield to verify this.

Paul

#23 ·
Well, I have a 4" XD40 with a the EFK conversion barrel to the 9mm. I have had a few FTE's. This usually happens only with Wolf ammunition. I haven't had a hitch with brass ammo. I'm also pretty new at shooting so you can attribute it to limp wristing or what not. So i can pretty much tell you that the EFK barrel works pretty well. I haven't made any changes to the mags. I get just as good grouping with the 9mm barrel as I do with the 40SW, if not better. Well, thats my two cents.

#24 ·
qwert XD-40 said:
I just bought the XD-40 service and was wondering if they make a .357 conversion barrel and if so I dont need to change the mags do I. What is the going price and where is the best place to get them.

THX
We currently have the .357SIG conversion barrels for the Service model in stock, if you are interested.

You can use the same magazines.

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=02PA

Regards,
Old School

#25 ·
I hear that the barrel swap will work. Also that the .40 mags need to be adjusted to feed the 9mm ammo. However will 9mm mags. from a XD9 fit and work in a XD40. Looking to just gets new mags. instead of adjusting 40 mags. so can still shoot both rounds through same gun after changing barrels. Your thoughts.

#26 ·
dragon said:
I hear that the barrel swap will work. Also that the .40 mags need to be adjusted to feed the 9mm ammo. However will 9mm mags. from a XD9 fit and work in a XD40. Looking to just gets new mags. instead of adjusting 40 mags. so can still shoot both rounds through same gun after changing barrels. Your thoughts.
For the guys who purchase the 9mm barrels, I always recommend they buy a 9mm mag or two, so they don't need to mess with thier 40 mags. That said, your 40 mags will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.