Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After reading a post or 2 about the conversion barrels I got a bit interested and would like to ask a question. Let me see if I understand this.
From what I see and read if I have an XD Tactical in 40S&W, I can buy one of the EFK Fire Dragon conversion barrels in 9mm and simply drop it in and then start shooting 9mm ammo? Is that correct? Now I know I would have to have 9mm mags or modify my 40S&W mage a bit, but is that all? I don't have to change springs, top ends or any other parts other than the replacement barrel?
If that is the case, how well do the conversion barrels work? What kind of accuracy are people getting out of them? Would the pistol still cycle reliably since a 40S&W would have a heavier recoil spring than a 9mm?
Let me know about this cause if this is the case, the 40S&W Tactical has moved WAY up on my list.
Thanks for the info....

Nala

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The barrel is ALL you need to change. Most people seem to say that accuracy is at least as good as with the original caliber. No real need to even change the recoil spring, they are the same weight. If you get a Tactical, 1911 recoil springs work just fine if you do decide to change. Original guide rod works fine, no replacement needed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Snake-eater is 100% correct as usual.
The EFK is great and shoots every bit as well as the 40. Besides, it looks damn good because the barrel is stainless. I only have the service but I think it's agreat buy...2 guns in 1 package. I've gone through about 1000 rounds in mine ( had to tweak the 40 mags abit) but other than that, Ive never had an FTF or FTE shooting WWB in 9MM. The only other thing I did for the service was to change to Don's GR and the 22# spring but you shouldn't need that with the TAC.

Good luck with your decision..

Rikoshey :twisted:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Right now the EFK barrels are only made for the Service and Tactial models but conversion barrels are on the way for the SC. EFK told me they are hoping to have them in March.

·
Registered
15 Posts
more newbie questions:

how about a EFK link?

doesn't SA sell barrels that will do the job, why go with EFK?

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
wwp512 said:
doesn't SA sell barrels that will do the job, why go with EFK?

SA won't sell you just a barrel and they don't offer conversion barrels. As of now EFK FireDragon and Barsto are they only two options, from what I know.

We are due to receive more EFK barrels in during the first week of February. http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=02PA

Old School

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey oldschool, another newbie question:

can you do the barrel swapping with a GLOCK? eg 9mm in a .40. , and the magazines?

XD and G seemed to build similar.. I havn't search the GLOCK site

thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Sure you can. EFK makes a host of conversion barrels for the Glock. That is 60% of thier business; feeding the Glock market.

I am working with Frank now, to add them to our store. Because there are so many choice, I need to start with the barrels that have the volumn.

Old School

·
Registered
15 Posts
now are they REALLY putting a SC size .40/9mm barrel, or "maybe" there will be a barrel out by March?

I am planning on getting a XD SC in 40 and have the option of shooting 9, but don't want to buy a 40 if I'm not ever gonna see a 9mm barrel!!

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
wwp512 said:
now are they REALLY putting a SC size .40/9mm barrel, or "maybe" there will be a barrel out by March?

I am planning on getting a XD SC in 40 and have the option of shooting 9, but don't want to buy a 40 if I'm not ever gonna see a 9mm barrel!!
To help ease your mind, it would be best for you to speak with Frank @ EFK direct.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Im sure tha Frank at EFK will be more than happy to help you out he's a really nice guy and dose good buisness. He know's how to take care of his costomer's. Bought a few things from Frank. Never had an issue. And as he told me if i did he would make it right.

·
Registered
349 Posts
:shock:
I have XD 40 Service.
The guy behind the counter said I would have to buy a new slide to convert to 9mm.
He said because the extractor was made for the .40

But all I have to do is by a new barrel?

Am I hearing this right.?

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Soysuperhombre said:
I have XD 40 Service.
The guy behind the counter said I would have to buy a new slide to convert to 9mm.

The guys behind the counter is wrong. All you need is the conversion barrel.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I have the 9mm Barsto Semi Drop-In for my .40 Tactical. Dropped right in and had no problems running factory ammo. Had some FTEs with some bunny fart reloads (no fault of the barrel) so I put in a 16lb spring and no more problems. Might even consider a 14lb spring, but I already had the 16lb.
I don't have any experience with the EFK, but I can say the Barsto is very accurate. Well worth the $$$.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Soysuperhombre said:
I have XD 40 Service.

Technically, the guy behind the counter is correct. SA sells two slide currently. One is for the 357/40 and the other is for the 9. I think SA said the breech face is different. I asked about a conversion and the party line is you must switch the upper, or slide and barrel.

Having said this, the EFK is designed to fit a 9mm caliber barrel into a 40 caliber slide and work fine. The stock 9mm barrel from SA will not work with a 40 slide. You must buy a conversion barrel from EFK or Barsto.

If you call EFK, the owner is extremely helpful. I think he will convince you it is OK based on past experience and technology.

Paul

1 - 20 of 26 Posts