Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people might be partially biased towards the XDS in this forum, but I thought I would ask those who may have also handled the Glock 42. I know they are different calibers but I have held the 42 and like the feel. Curios to see what might be preferred the XDS in 9mm or Glock 42? Looking for a new CCW pocket pistol for deep concealment and torn between the two, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
Since I am not a fan of 380, it would be the XDS.
380 is still harder to find around here and it's more expensive than 9.

Look at Sig 938, about the same size as the 42

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still hesitant to carry cocked and locked, for whatever reason it is not the preferred carry for me. I like the P938 and P238 just not the platform for me, thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well it's a little apples to oranges as it is 9mm versus 380. I have the xds the shield and the 42. In terms of shooting for my preference disregarding size I like the shield then the 42 then the xds. In terms of carrying daily I carry the shield in. A N82 most days. Only carry the 42 when I am out in tighter fitting clothes or shorts. 42 without question is easier for me to conceal. In my humble opinion the 42 is a better shooter than the xds.

·
Registered
554 Posts
For me this was settled by the caliber... I just don't care for .380s.

Glock ergos leave a lot to be desired for me too. My fingers are too long.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deep concealment is something I am going for with this purchase, especially with the summer months upon us I am going to need something thin and light. A lot of positives on both models, obviously caliber is something that hits home with people and I am impartial to both .380 and 9mm. I do not want to open that debate. Typically like to carry full size models though out the rest of the year but need that small carry piece.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I have both and the glock 42 is like my American Express, I never leave home with out it. My XDs has been retired to safe duty. Once you hold a g42 the XDs seems big and once you start carrying the 42 the XDs seems heavy.

I still can't believe some one hasn't posted the 380 was a cute fad Springfield advertisement yet. You may want to look at a shield. I just added that to my collection as well. My carry options are either a G30s, Gen 2 G19, Shield, XDs or the G42 and the g42 always seems to win.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have an xds 9mm, an xds 45, and a G42. I agree that .380 is inferior to 9mm by a fair bit, is more expensive, and harder to find. Nevertheless, Id rather carry the G42. The G42 has a crisper trigger (though a little stiffer). If the xdses didn't have such mushy triggers, it might be a different story.

The G26 is my main carry gun. For me, it's better than the xds in every way except for the extra thickness it has - trigger, simplicity, parts availability, mainly though, hand fit and the way I can shoot it. But I'm extremely lazy, and carrying the G42 is just so easy, I find myself doing that more and more (appendix with a Remora).

I've tried to like the xdses, and I'll keep trying a bit longer, but to me, they are just OK - I like my Glocks a lot more.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have both and the glock 42 is like my American Express, I never leave home with out it. My XDs has been retired to safe duty. Once you hold a g42 the XDs seems big and once you start carrying the 42 the XDs seems heavy.
For me the XDs is as small as I could comfortably go and still have something that worked with my hands... and the weight helps make the gun more controllable IMO.

Then again, weight wouldn't bother me anyway - my normal EDC is a CZ 75BD ;) The XDs is for when I can't dress around the gun as much (i.e. hot weather, dressier occasions)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Between the 9mm & .380?

9mm all day long. Get the XDs.
Since standardizing pistol calibers a while back to 9mm or .22LR, I have not been able to bring myself to buy a pistol chambered in anything new .. I just find the cost of stockpiling new calibers too prohibitive.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
When the question is XDS or G42, the answer is Shield.

kypix

·
Banned
0 Posts
Since standardizing pistol calibers a while back to 9mm or .22LR, I have not been able to bring myself to buy a pistol chambered in anything new .. I just find the cost of stockpiling new calibers too prohibitive.
Once I started reloading this was no longer a concern.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts