Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm considering selling my XD-9SC and getting a M&P9c

Now don't get me wrong I love my XD but it just feels a little heavy. I'm not a big guy (5'6" 150lbs) and it shoots great and feels great as far as the grip is concerned. The M&P also feels great in hand and the only slight part it feels a little off is the back bottom edge of the grip.

the M&P is a hair short in my palm near the back of the grip (maybe a 1/4") but not really bad. Dry fired it and the trigger didn't seem too bad. Not as smooth as the XD but whatever.

My local gun shop told me without seeing the XD they would probably give me $300 towards the M&P which they sell for $499

The XD I have only had for a few months and have only been to the range twice with. I have put 400 rounds through it and it is basically brand new.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
356 Posts
as far as a store goes its an ok trade because they have to re sell it, so there not going to go much higher. But IMO its worth $400 just hard to get that seeing a new one is right around $430 on a good day. Could try to wheel and deal with cash in hand, lube it up real nice and sparkely lol see if you can get them to come up to $350> or throw in something, like extra magazine etc for the S&W you are wanting. M&P is an ok gun. If it was me id see what you could work out for a XDM 9mm 3.8 compact, only about $75 or so more than the M&P and is better IMO, if your hell bent on the M&P its a decent trade but id try to wheel a lil extra out of the XD. GOOD LUCK!!!! and let us know what happens.
layz

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I originally wanted an XDm compact and went with the XD instead for price reasons.

I am more thinking something different just because of weight. I may just give it a few more months and pick up a crossbreed or king tuck and see if that changes my mind.

I'm not actively cc right now and just thinking of the weight issue because of that.

It ready does shoot fine and feel fine overall.

Sent from my HTC Evo on Tapatalk.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I own both the M&P compact and an XDm compact. I haven't put many down range with the XDM yet but for cc the M&P is a much better carry for me. Lighter and a noticeably smaller frame as you look to conceal. I'm also quite partial to the way it shoots. Much more accurate than I am.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your own statment above tells me you really don't want the M&P. Keep the XD you will regret it if you don't. I am not much bigger than you @ 6'1" and 160#. I bought my SC for C.C. and love it with the SOB holster. Check out the paint job in my avatar. But if you change guns you will be sorry.

·
Registered
902 Posts
FWIW a new in box XD-sc in 9 or .40 goes for $399 around here.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The M&P's triggers smooth out nicely after 500 rounds or so. Also it's A LOT easier to do a complete tear down on the M&P. I'm sure you won't miss the XD after owning a one. I think $300 is a fair offer from a gun shop. And just remember you're asking this on the XD forum, so don't be surprised if opinions are a bit biased.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW a new in box XD-sc in 9 or .40 goes for $399 around here.
That's basically what I paid for it. I got it for $419 + free shipping and a $35 FFL transfer fee so about $460 with tax on the transfer. I'd be happy if I can get $425 out of the deal since it only has a handful of rounds put through it and has 0 wear from a holster or anything.

Anyway like I stated I don't hate the gun, I really like it in fact. I'm just having a moment where I think there might be a slightly better option for me.

I'm really trying to get some 3rd person perspective on it since 1. this is my first firearm and 2. I haven't even started actively concealed carrying.

I'm just looking to get some perspective other than my own before I do anything. I appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I say get the crossbreed and give the XD a little more time, doesn't seem like you have had it very long. I carry my XDsc in a crossbreed and it helps with the weight quite a bit.

I think the resale value on both the XD and crossbreed are good enough to give it a try.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And just remember you're asking this on the XD forum, so don't be surprised if opinions are a bit biased.
Oh I completely understand. this just happens to be one of the most active firearm forums in general I have found so I know things will be answered regardless of if they are biased at times. Everyone here is very helpful regardless of preference.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I say get the crossbreed and give the XD a little more time, doesn't seem like you have had it very long. I carry my XDsc in a crossbreed and it helps with the weight quite a bit.

I think the resale value on both the XD and crossbreed are good enough to give it a try.
that is what I am leaning towards more than anything. I figure in the worst case if I decide to trade in I can eat the cost of the crossbreed and use it towards the trade in value as a whole.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just bought a used XDm 9mm compact last night for $449 + tax, and I find it perfect for carry. I'm waiting for a custom holster from Side Guard that will work for both my full size and my compact, and in the mean time I'm using a belly band. There was a very noticible difference between my full size and the compact, and I can tell already that I'm going to be very happy w/ the compact for carry. If you like the XD, you might want to think again before changing to the M&P. I know that many people love them, but they just don't feel right for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I cc a SC 9mm in a Comp Tac MTAC . Before I started cc'ing full time I thought about getting something a tad bit lighter and thinner for weight and conceal ability. Now that I carry the SC all the time I have come to the conclusion I do not need and additional cc weapon. The SC perfect for me.

If I were in your shoes I would save for the M&P,get it,and then carry and shoot both to see which fits you best . Cuz what do ya do if you sell the XD and end up liking it better? And with Comp Tac holsters you can buy one holster and swap out just the Kydex part for different guns instead of having to buy two holsters.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I just bought a used XDm 9mm compact last night for $449 + tax, and I find it perfect for carry.
Nothing wrong with either gun...I love any gun I can shoot. Like Northern Gal, I carry an XDm 9mm compact. It is in a CBST and it hides and conceals fine. Granted, I am a little over 6' 1", and 250 pounds, but I think it would do fine with you also. Sometimes I carry my little Kahr PM9 in a MiniTuck, and I can guarantee you that you would like the way that setup feels!

RJ

·
Registered
485 Posts
9mmfan has a thread wanting to know what people paid for their XD and the prices seem a little higher than what you all are posting in this thread. It seems most have paid in the upper $400 to mid $500 range. Of course the XDM's are higher. Be carefull when asking this question cause someone might be setting you up to get an XD for a low price.

Your gun is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I start out at what I believe is a fair price considering what the going new gun price is and what I have invested in the gun. I let prospective buyers work the price and if I am ok with the price I sell, if I am not happy I say no thanks and leave it listed. Sometimes its in the timing. That is listing it at the same time that someone is looking for that exact gun. I have had guns listed in the past and not sell. Then when I relist them they sold either right away or in a few short days. Take your time and get a fair price.

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
I see used XD's in shops around here for about $375, in excellent condition.

If you can get $400 for yours, you'd be doing well. Most of the time, one can figure on getting around 75% at best...and figure that off of the $419; no buyer is gonna care about transfer & shipping.

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
I shoot IDPA. Usually during a month I'll see or shoot with over 100 shooters. By far the most common pistol I see is the Glock. Next is Springfield. Occasionally you will see an M&P, but alot of guys steer clear of them because of the magazine disconnect.(this is competition based, but the people in the area I shoot with are less about competition, and more about learning how to shoot effectively)

All three brands are solid, well built, fighting machines and I'd carry each of them confidently. Between the two, I'd rather carry the couple extra ounces in my Springfield because of the grip safety and it not having a mag disconnect. If I pull the trigger, I want it to go boom.

My personal opinion is that you're falling prey to the "need a new gun" syndrom. All of us know what that is, and sometimes the only therapy is... To get a new gun. =)

*EDIT - Oh, and I bought my XD40SC new in early 2009 for 449$ Last November I picked up my XD9SC(Essentials) for 419$ I also own an XDM9 in 4.5" and Compact flavors. But I pretty must use the XDM's for everything.

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
I shoot IDPA. Usually during a month I'll see or shoot with over 100 shooters. By far the most common pistol I see is the Glock. Next is Springfield. Occasionally you will see an M&P, but alot of guys steer clear of them because of the magazine disconnect.(this is competition based, but the people in the area I shoot with are less about competition, and more about learning how to shoot effectively)

All three brands are solid, well built, fighting machines and I'd carry each of them confidently. Between the two, I'd rather carry the couple extra ounces in my Springfield because of the grip safety and it not having a mag disconnect. If I pull the trigger, I want it to go boom.

My personal opinion is that you're falling prey to the "need a new gun" syndrom. All of us know what that is, and sometimes the only therapy is... To get a new gun. =)

*EDIT - Oh, and I bought my XD40SC new in early 2009 for 449$ Last November I picked up my XD9SC(Essentials) for 419$ I also own an XDM9 in 4.5" and Compact flavors. But I pretty must use the XDM's for everything.
Not all M&P's have the mag disconnect. In fact, I'd wager that the minority of them do.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts