Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to someone there today about my conitnual extraction problems. She said that this isn't a problem happening very often. But I'd have to disagree.

I have a 9mm tactical. I put about 1200rnds through it with about 3 failures to extract. I recently cleaned the gun and it did it 3 times within 50 rounds.

My friend has the standard and has about 5000 rnds through it and the extractor hook actually broke near the bottom. Before he noticed the break it would fail to extract every 300 rounds or so.

I ran into a guy last week with a sub compact he had sent to SA. They did a chamber ream and supposedly a new extractor. He is still having the same extraction problems. I shot the gun and didn't get 5 rounds through it before it failed.

How many others are experiencing this and has anyone found any fixes to this problem?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I never really understand these posts.. I am up to a little over 2k through my XD9, and not a single problem.. (well, that is not true, I did open up my gun safe today to practice with my new holster; there was a small amount of surface rust.. but that is a different issue..)

I don't doubt that you and your friend are having this problem, but It's just one I am not sharing. I did notice in your post that you experienced the problem 1 out of 400 rounds, then after you cleaned it you had the problem 1 out of every 16 times you fired it?

That seems more than a little coincidental.

Raymond

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Captain, I know it sounds crazy but the gun did shoot worse after the cleaning. My buddy posted this on the Brian Enos forum and apparently others reported the same thing.... fte increasing after the cleaning.

I have about 500 rounds since the cleaning, 300 of them today and had no hiccups in those 300 rounds.

SA has said that there is an "old" extractor and a "new" extractor. And if what we've gathered from SA is correct my XD and my friends are the old one. SA said that XD 9mm tacticals haven't been shipped to distributors for almost a full year. So maybe the problem is fixed on the newer XD standards. My friends is an old standard model.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have been reading talk about the old extractor vs. new extractor posts.. so that may very well be your issue.

Just in case though, would you explain to me/us what your standard cleaning practice entails?

I figure that after your first 1200 rounds you didn't just clean it for the first time.. then after the next 50 rounds you did something differently.. I am just curious, and not beating up on you at all.. just curious.

Raymond

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If you have a tactical model, there's practially no possibility that you've got an old-style extractor.

Try this: Blast your extractor out with some Gun Scrubber or Powder Blast and then run your extractor dry. Make sure you get all the powder build-up off of the extractor claw.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I had continuous 60%+ extractor problems. Sent XD9 to for RMA to replace the extractor. Got XD-9 back, worked for about 1K rounds and then suddenly 20%+ extraction problems. I clean my gun well, so I knew it was not cleaning issue. I took the gun to sell it as a lemon but my smith talked me into letting him fix it. He increased the positive camber on the extractor hook and tuned the tension. It took one week and cost me nothing as he pointed out it was a simple job and I bought the gun from him originally, he likes to back his wares. I have shot over 1500 rnds through it without a single malfunction. Maybe you need something similiar. Check the engagement angle on the extractor hook to make sure it has positive camber angle or case rim will slip right off. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ray- as far as cleaning the extractor I first use some shooters choice solvent and wipe out what I can. Then I use the break free spray to get out any particles that I can't see then I use a hooked dental tool to get any thing else that might be left in the extractor hook.

Tengu- I have been running the extractor dry. I've never lubed an extractor on my other guns and I have read how that could cause the XD to have problems.

Manygunner- my buddy has said the same thing you wrote. Could be tension on the extractor, either to weakened part or due to the angle. I'll try to have someone here look at that.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a Glock owner and have resisted other brands because I feared having functional problems. Now it seems like my fears were legitimate. If I can get this fixed I'll totally love this gun.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Captain Ray said:
I never really understand these posts.. I am up to a little over 2k through my XD9, and not a single problem.. (well, that is not true, I did open up my gun safe today to practice with my new holster; there was a small amount of surface rust.. but that is a different issue..)

I don't doubt that you and your friend are having this problem, but It's just one I am not sharing. I did notice in your post that you experienced the problem 1 out of 400 rounds, then after you cleaned it you had the problem 1 out of every 16 times you fired it?

That seems more than a little coincidental.

Raymond

I know what you mean. However I know where they are coming from. I had issues with my Steyr for awhile, and it needed a new extractor, yet noone else had many problems.

I chalked it up to bad, dirty extractor and the shooter. Steyr warranty repair dd 150+ rounds through it and never had a FTE, and me it happened every 30 rounds right before it was sent it. It shot fine after i got it back.

·
Registered
85 Posts
manygunner said:
Check the engagement angle on the extractor hook to make sure it has positive camber angle or case rim will slip right off. Hope this helps.
I think you are on the right track. My XD9 has had an intermittent FTE, approx 1 in every 400rd. I retensioned my extractor the other week, but haven't been out to shoot yet. Interesting about the angle. Yeah, the XD extractor design looks weak as it only engages a small portion of the rim.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i had extractor problems with my xd9 4" and it got to where it would fte every 5 rounds out of 10...I replaced the extractor myself and i bought Don's guide rod and wolf spring if 18 pounds.....Not one single problem afterwards. The factor spring is suppose to be 18 pounds from the factory (i believe i read that some where) when i put the new spring on it was alot tougher to pull back the slide. I had a friend who said that the slide might be blowing past the round and the extractor would not catch on it. I got all my parts from www.xd-hs2000.com. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Prizm1 said:
She said that this isn't a problem happening very often. But I'd have to disagree.
I forgot to include this in y first post. As someone on my steyr forum said....

Internet magaphone: people don't report guns that work at the same rate they report guns that don't. It happens with damn near all the firearms that are out there. I can show you collections of posts which would lead you to belive that every firearms made is a POS. From customs guns to plain jane.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
NExd said:
Prizm1 said:
She said that this isn't a problem happening very often. But I'd have to disagree.
I now have about 3K rounds through my XD-9. It was pretty bad at first, 60% FTE rate. I sent it to Springfield but I was also told this was an unheard of problem. As I posted earlier, Springfield did not really fix it either, my local smith did. The XD is actualy the first gun I have had these sort of problems with, and I have shot a wide variety. I think that the gun could be improved by changing it over to a more robust external extractor. But I agree all people complain about all makes and models. I am just glad that I was able to get the issue fixed as I love the ergonomics. Outside of a CZ-75 this is probably the best gun I have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think when there is a forum dedicated to a firearm or car or motorcyle or whatever that states that there is something good or perhaps great about the product. The fact that this site and others is so extensive is testimony that the gun works. However I've seen consistent problems with people I know and don't know so I have concern. I've owned many different firearms over the years, as I'm sure most others on this forum have. Some had small problems some didn't.

I bought the XD because I shot it side by side with my Glocks and felt it was superior in handling and accuracy. But there is no denying that it doesn't function as well as the Glock.

Once this extractor is fixed I have no gripes. Just love for the XD. And I recenlty wrote SA a letter in praise of their product. I just can't be stopping every 5 rounds in an IPSC shoot to clear a malfunction. My carry gun remains a Glock until there's proof it doesn't work well for that purpose.[/quote]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Prizm1 said:
I just can't be stopping every 5 rounds in an IPSC shoot to clear a malfunction.
I hear ya. It's one of the worst types of failure too. Lock the slide back, drop the mag, pick the empty out of the chamber, recharge. It takes around 10 seconds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Prizm1, I believe you and I ran into each other last weekend at the local range. I was the owner of the XDSC the failed after going back to Springfield twice, once for a barrel reaming and the second for a new extractor. I just wanted to say that the 3" 9mm SC went back to Springfield Tuesday. They are suposed to replace it this time.

Just a thought...Could we have gotten a bad batch of XD's here in Indy??? Maybe this trend in extractor problems could be isolated to a Lot # of guns shipped here around our location..??!! I wonder if Springfield would be interested in our "coincidences"? Just a thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lonster- good to see you on here. It's hard for me to say why we are having the problems but that's at least three of us at our local shooting range. My buddy is still waiting on his new extractor because his completely broke. I talked to him on the phone tonight and he said people are posting similar probs on brian enos site. Guys reporting that after 250 rounds the extractor is acutally chipping away.

I removed mine over the weekend. We did some filing to the inside portion of the extactor arm. The best way I can describe it is when you have the gun apart and your're looking at the inside of the slide with the barrel facing away from you, the extractor rests against the middle of the slide same direction the extractor hook is facing. We filed that inside portion of the extractor that rests against the slide so the extractor would seat deeper into the extracted casing.

over 300 rounds since this modification and no problems. I have a match tomorrow so we'll see if it'll hold up.

I'm going to shoot it, w/o cleaning until it fails again, just to make sure.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The design of the XD extractor is rather like the 1911, a simple tensioned steel arm with a claw. However, unlike the 1911, the XD extractor requires more effort to disassemble. In a 1911 you can very simply remove the extractor and there are gauges to check the tension. I suspect the factory at Springfield simply replaces the extractor. I suspect, as there are not the sheer numbers and years of production in the XD that the extractor tension is not a science as in the 1911 which is nearing the century mark. I have 3 XDs and none have had extractor issues. I suspect it's a rare roll of the dice, and if the extractor is not properly tensioned or the claw is not quite right, you are screwed. It requires a gunsmith who has the time and experience to retension and retest. Too much tension, and the claw will not clasp the rim and the gun will not go into breech (just as bad as a FTE).

As for the Glock (which I do not have) the extractor is perhaps the most sophisticated made it's actually an inertial device. Glock was a pretty interesting engineer. He had never designed a gun before. He had designed land mines and belt feeds for machine guns though.....

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Margana, I agree. The extractor can be fixed by a proper gunsmith, like the one I have. Unfortunately it seems that SA only replaces the part and does not really check for proper tension. That is why my XD was returned with the problem just awaiting to turn back up. The extractor is the weakest link in the 1911 design and I beleive it is also in the XD design. HS Produkt and SA should analyze this and replace it with a easier to maintain and service external extractor. Some of the 1911 manufacturers are already doing this to the 1911 and it seems to have fixed the issue, it should be done to the XD.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
Prizm1 said:
I talked to someone there today about my conitnual extraction problems. She said that this isn't a problem happening very often. But I'd have to disagree.

I have a 9mm tactical. I put about 1200rnds through it with about 3 failures to extract. I recently cleaned the gun and it did it 3 times within 50 rounds.

My friend has the standard and has about 5000 rnds through it and the extractor hook actually broke near the bottom. Before he noticed the break it would fail to extract every 300 rounds or so.

I ran into a guy last week with a sub compact he had sent to SA. They did a chamber ream and supposedly a new extractor. He is still having the same extraction problems. I shot the gun and didn't get 5 rounds through it before it failed.

How many others are experiencing this and has anyone found any fixes to this problem?
what ammo are yo uusing?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts