Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to contact Springfield Armory today to find out the offical stand on getting parts.

Here is my email to them and their response, same on the same day.

Mr. Dennis J. Reese
Co Chairman of the Board
Springfield Armory

Dear Sir.

Let me start out by saying that I own a XD, model XD9701, the V-10 version, and I love it. I have no problems with it at all.

I found your name at the bottom of the Limited Lifetime Warranty card (owner copy).

I am a member of the XD Forum on line at http://www.hs2000talk.com/index.php . There is much discord among many of the members about the recent action on your part regarding parts availability. The following post is just one of some of the posts about this mater http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=254363#254363.

Being an XD owner, this matter does concern me also, I however, am a paper killer / target shooter, so being without my XD while it goes into the shop, if needed, is no biggie to me. But many of the members do carry their XD daily, and this is a prime concern for them, understandably so.

My question for Springfield Arms is this, hopefully you can answer this for me, as I count on posting your response on the forum to quell some of the other members concerns of lack of parts:
1.) What is the cause of S.A.'s recent decision to not send out parts to XD owners?
2.) Is this a permanent decision / action?
3.) Is the repair time going to increase from the currently reported repair time of 2 to 5 weeks.

Also, on a different tack:
A.) Is there going to be a "drop in" trigger replacement that can lighten / reduce the trigger pull? (this is for my own curiosity)

If, do to legal reasons, you can't answer the above questions, please do us the honor of posting a response in the XD forum to help quell the unrest and feelings of abandonment by Springfield Armory. Please give us something MORE then, "we are currently not sending out parts, if you need service, send your handgun to...".

Many forum members feel that this is the end of the XD line, that S.A.'s is going to drop the line of weapon, hopefully this is not true, as there are many satisfied owners out there who would not be happy to own a orphan. Many forum members rave how Glock and Sig arms have expansive parts available to their handguns, Hopefully Springfield Armory will go back to this also.

Thanks in advance for your response.

XD forum member name tec
XD owner since 07-17-04

President
TEC Property Services Group, Ltd.
[email protected]
Licensed Contractor

Timothy:

Thank you for your support of Springfield Armory. We have recently had to change our policy on sending out additional XD and 1911 parts due to liability issues and shortages of received parts. Currently every part we receive is being used for newly manufactured pistols or rifles and our warranty repair. If you have any type of functioning problem all Springfield products come with a lifetime warranty. This policy is brand new and will be under review when parts become available. I appreciate your concerns and will answer the questions posed to us.

1) The cause of the recent parts policy is due to liability issues and shortages of received parts.

2) As mentioned previously, this is a brand new policy and will be under review when parts become readily available.

3) This will not affect the Repair departments current turnaround time.

As far as the concern about Springfield discontinuing the XD line nothing could be further from the truth. We are very proud to have the XD as part of the Springfield lineup and will continue to grow and support the XD. I appreciate your continued support and would like to relay the appreciation we have to all Springfield customers and forum contributors.

Thanks,

Drew Herbst

Customer Service Supervisor

Springfield Armory

420 West Main Street

Geneseo, IL 61254

800-680-6866 x. 8971

www.springfieldarmory.com
-------------------------------------------------
Timothy:

I hope the last e-mail helped clear things up. We currently do not have a drop in trigger scheduled to produce. However you are always more than welcome to have an XD trigger job done through our Custom Shop.

Thanks,

Drew Herbst

Customer Service Supervisor

Springfield Armory

420 West Main Street

Geneseo, IL 61254

800-680-6866 x. 8971

www.springfieldarmory.com

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
This seems to be the response everybody is getting from SA and I for one am not very happy with there current decision and although I love my subby I may have to rethink my future needs

·
Registered
354 Posts
give it time, If there was liability, the other companies(glock, sig, etc.) would have the same policy.

It will clear up eventually.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I could buy into "shortages of received part", or it could all be BS to quiet the masses.

And new policy will be "under review" sounds like a back door they can run through after they piss off all their customers, and say "after further review, how many parts do you need".

And that will probably happen right after someone starts making replacement parts on their own.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It would seem that liability supercedes availability.

If that is true then why would a larger supply of parts justify re-evaulating the policy?

If they arent selling parts for liability reasons, no larger surplus of parts will change that liability.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Did SA ever give a formal answer on a part swap? As as example, I break my firing pin indicator. Will SA just send me that part, if I send them the broken one, or do I need to send in the gun for repair?

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Old School said:
Did SA ever give a formal answer on a part swap? As as example, I break my firing pin indicator. Will SA just send me that part, if I send them the broken one, or do I need to send in the gun for repair?
You have to send in the gun for repair if your part is on the list of 9 they cannot sell or send. For the list, check my post in the other thread about this.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The "official" response doesn't make much sense. I could see Springfield limiting sales of one or two specific parts due to a shortage, but to limit sales of *any* parts due to shortages is just silly. There is no way Springfield is running short on every internal component used in an XD. If they are, that's poor supply chain management and something they need to rectify.

-James

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
You guys want an expert opinion or a dumb
ass opinion?

How about a little of both? I recall that when
this 'no SA parts thing' first came about and
many questions and emails were posted. In
one of the received responses, SA did say that
they would replace a part for part that was mailed
to them for direct replacement. The firearm did
not have to be sent into SA for them to do the
work.

I questioned the above decision on the open
forum. Why do they not sell parts as parts to
anyone who orders them, either from SA or one
of their dealers, but will trust the individual owner
to replace the part himself if he mails them the
broken part for replacement. Where is the liability
issue? I do not get it. SA is squirming on this for
another reason.

I have come to the conclusion, that after reading
one of Ajames's posts, where he mentioned that
a lot of the top echelon tier are new to their jobs,
it only means that SA has had a shakeup. New
guys on the job making new decisions. Now, comes
our job, we need to educate the 'new hires' into the
philosphy of this forum and it's members who are SA's
bread and butter.

Call them, fax them and email them until we wear them
down. They may think that they have control over us,
but fellow forum members, they are WRONG. We, the
gun owners control the purse strings. There are many
more firearms manufacturers who would just love to have
our money spent on their products, which are of equal or
better machines.

I am fortunate enough not to have to worry about parts
as I own more than one HS2K/SAXD. But, and this is a
big BUT, I could unload them all and not have to worry
about parts for myself or my fellow forum members.

Have a nice day.

Ed

·
Registered
42 Posts
SiG's been selling parts for a long time, I don't see them stop doing it to piss off SiG's customer. Paul Erharhtt, SiGArms marketing director, is a regular on SigForum, he brings many up to date news with him.

Where's our Springfield Rep here?

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
So is anybody else thinking that if they change their policy about parts availability to the public. . . STOCK UP QUICK before they change their mind :roll:

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
We the masses are the Springfield Reps. :)

I think that SA will reconsider the part swap after they start seeing their shipping bills. They are going to spend $25+, plus a man-hour, to replace to $2 part that weighs an ounce or so. We'll have to see what happens.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hit them in the pocket book and they shall change their minds. I've never had a problem with my XD-9 in 7000 rounds other than finish. Either mine is rock-solid, or I'm on the verge of breaking something :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Some freaking legal consul with hidden liberal agenda adviced them on not selling parts to their customers so our XD will fall apart :lol:

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe we ALL could send a NICE email to S.A. asking the same questions and politely voicing our concerns dislikes over this new practice of theirs.

We can all complain and moan about it here, but that really does no good.

Send them the email. Wake them up. Let them know that We will not go down without a fight.
Or
Sit down and shut up.
The choice is yours.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
When drafting such a message, state the reason for needing parts. Let them know that your intent is to repair broken parts, not to modify parts for the benefit of DIY trigger jobs, etc.

Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts