Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I want to use an XD-9 tactical for CCW, training and competition. They appear to be excellent low cost guns. I have read about rust problems... I guess in general, do you have any input? What should I watch out for?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have only had mine for a few weeks, but I would say the rust problem is highly exaggerated (SP?). In MY opinion, the tactical might be a little large for concealed carry. I have a 4" service model and find its a tad large for carry. Buy that's just my opinion. Yes, thay(Im from Texas) are good guns and suprisingly low cost.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Tactical for concealed carry? That's the biggest (longest) XD.

Why God, why?

Rust issues can be fixed under warranty if you have problems.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
If you plan to carry the Tactical IWB, I highly recommend you get a quality rig such as the Tucker "Answer". If not, you will kick yourself.

Good luck, be safe!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[TASF said:
Overkill]Tactical for concealed carry? That's the biggest (longest) XD.

Great question! The tactical has advantages for cometition and training. I've determined something has to give. Smaller guns will tend to be less accurate for competition. They are also lighter which would make training more of a chore. Some of the training involves 2000 rounds in three days which makes me favor a reasonably heavier gun.

I see people conceal bigger guns like the Sig P220 wihtout problem. I'm also a bigger guy.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old School said:
If you plan to carry the Tactical IWB, I highly recommend you get a quality rig such as the Tucker "Answer". If not, you will kick yourself.

Thanks! I am also considering a spandex/belly holster. It might be easier to heep my pants up :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I too was wondering about the right XD for concealed carry and I chose the bitone XD-9, even though I had a tactical already. I'm 6'1" and 170 and it seems the XD-9 Tactical was just too big for me. On the other hand, I noted from researching the web that some folks just plain seem to "carry well," larger folks seem to fit this category better but some small/thin guys also manage to cart around full-sized 1911's , or so they say.

My advice is to try both the service and the tactical for carrying, both IWB and OWB, before choosing.

If you decide on the Service, you might consider getting a bitone XD-9 service for your needs - less rust worries (these are highly over rated, IMO) and much easier for CCW, in my experience. I've got both the Tactical and the Service and they are great guns!

Of course there is also the SC, now that one looks comfortable!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use my Tactical 9MM for my conceal carry in Arizona. works well for me.
Then again i live in a state that is very easy with conceal carry permits. I feel comfortable with my Tactical 9MM as my personal carry. That's me . And My Personal opinion.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Uncle Paul said:
Old School said:

Thanks! I am also considering a spandex/belly holster. It might be easier to heep my pants up :)
5" guns don't hide well strapped to your gut. The larger the gun, the more you're probably going to have to go the IWB route. Before it's all said and done, you'll end up through 5 different guns and 80 different holsters anyways. I started with a AMT .380 Backup......went to a 4" 686 (that lasted about 3 days).....went to a G26.....then to a G29....then a G30.....then a Kimber Ultra Carry.......then back to the G30....and now a 4" XD40 but still have the G30 too.

It's a disease, not an addiction.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have a xd9 tac that I use for comp and enjoy it. That said, the reason I don't carry it is the same reason I don't carry my 38 super gov't. Concealment w/ something that big is a chore. It is a bit heavier too so it will tend to put more of a sag to your beltline than the smaller guns.

I think your idea that the lighter gun would make training a chore is a bit misguided. I used my p2000 in competition for a while and still would be if it weren;t DAO. It is a shaved down version of a USP compact, lighter than even the XD service model, and I fired ~1750 rds over a 3 day training at TDI in ohio and the only thing that was tired was the trigger finger and my smiling muscles.

Just my $.000000000234 after taxes

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aiformula said:
I fired ~1750 rds over a 3 day training at TDI in ohio and the only thing that was tired was the trigger finger and my smiling muscles.
Exactly the course I was considering! I was going to try for Handgun 1,2,3. I might have to wait for fall due to $$$. What did you think of it? Was it worth the $$$. There is another place up here I was considering, SimTrainer. I still think TDI is a better bet.

Can I ask where you stayed? Are there hotels nearby? I live in Dayton and could commute, but would prefer to stay the night in a hotel.

Thanks for all the feedback! More is always welcome. I might consider the 4" service. I think the compact is out for accuracy reasons.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I haven't attended any of Sim Trainer's classes yet, but Bobert and I shoot there every tuesday night in competition. Nice range too. I actually live in West Carrolton. PM me if you'd like to get together and check out the gun. Bobert lives in Kettering and shoots a service model.

As for TDI, i'll see if i can find my old writeup on the training weekend from last year and repost. It appears to have been lost in the hacker attack of a couple weeks ago. As for the course, I loved it. The live fire house was intense. If you have any questions about it, I'd be happy to answer them. I don't know if Dave is still on this board, but one of the instructors used to lurk this board.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Uncle Paul said:
Hi,

I want to use an XD-9 tactical for CCW, training and competition. They appear to be excellent low cost guns. I have read about rust problems... I guess in general, do you have any input? What should I watch out for?

Thanks,
Paul
Had the XD-9 tactical been available at the time that's what I would have puirchased but I don't regret getting the 4". Those of us that carry full size 1911's don't have a problem with the Tactical for concealed carry :D.
My theory about the rust "problem" is that it's caused by residue left from the finishing process. I always give new guns a thorough cleaning inside & out with Hoppes No.9 and lube and wipe it down with a good oil like FP-10. I live in South Florida where 50% humidity is considered a dry day & none of my guns are rusty. The XD is no exception. Just be sure to give it a wipe after handling it.

Gary

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I live in a VERY hot and humid environment here in southeast Texas, and I have not seen any rust pop up on my XD-40. I carry this thing outside alot, in all sorts of weather...again...no rust at all. I have seen some holster wear that I think is premature.

I would think the XD-9 Tactical would be a great choice. I shot the 40 tactical and was amazed at how little recoil it had. A 9mm tactical ought to have almost no recoil at all with standard target loads. Trigger is not bad, either, so it ought to be decent for competition.

Still, if I was more serious about a 9mm for competition, I'd go with a Hi-Power (for the better trigger). For the money, though, the XD-9 Tactical is very attractive.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've carried my Tactical before and now carry a Kimber Gold Combat full size 1911 so I know it's not that bad to conceal, but if you really want to conceal a pistol buy a Subcompact 9 or .40 or a Kahr P9 or P40.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I carry an XD-9 in 4" daily, no problem at all. Go ahead a buy a couple of holsters that you will then immediately throw away. The average for number of holsters you will buy before you get the one you really like is 4.

Or, save some time, learn from many of us, and just get a Tucker Answer. Yes $115 is high, but for some strange reason you actually get what you pay for.... all day comfort, very very adjustable, one hand re-holstering (nice at range)...

Oh yeah, and I also complete USPSA with my service model. Believe me, the margin of error between a 4" and 5" barrel is easily dwarfed by everything else that will be going on (sights, trigger, movement, etc...)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts